NAF Logo
leftstar Apr 28, 2024 - 02:08 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
The Dark Elf team is overpowered. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 15, 2005 - 11:45 AM

United States of America
Thanks. Looks like airlines only have schedules online through October 2006 so in a few weeks November should be online (checked Delta and USAirways and even Expedia).

Is Midway a better spot to land than OHare or is it 6 of 1 half-dozen of another?

aka Rob (NAF #248)
President of the Lord Borak Fan Club
Founder of the GCLU
Commissioner, TO, Goblin King, NEBBN TSO

Reply with quote Back to top
GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 15, 2005 - 12:14 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Melifaxis wrote:
Is Midway a better spot to land than OHare or is it 6 of 1 half-dozen of another?
6 or 1 half-dozen ... I think. One of locals could tell you better which one is best ... but I'd guess you'd need to arrang for someone to pick you up from either airport to get to Downer's Grove or split renting a car.

Galak

Rune_MasterOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 15, 2005 - 12:55 PM

How about someone who is a "master" terrain builder? I'd love to get time-saving/money-saving/building tips on numerous ways to build a custom pitch.

"Ho! stand to your flagons steady!
'Tis all we have left to prize.
A drink to the dead already,--
Hurrah for the next that dies."
- ancient Dwarf toast

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 15, 2005 - 12:59 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Rune_Master wrote:
How about someone who is a "master" terrain builder? I'd love to get time-saving/money-saving/building tips on numerous ways to build a custom pitch.
Trick would be when to have this presentation.

We run the tournament full bore out. 2 hour rounds with 1 hour breaks between rounds. After the 3rd game on Saturday everyone headed out to get drinks and food. (have to remember to call ahead to Hooters next year for seating).

After the awards on Sunday ... it was a pretty quick exit as well. I guess you could try and have him show some tricks during one of the 1 hour breaks ... but I'm guess that would be tight.

Galak

Rune_MasterOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 15, 2005 - 01:13 PM

if lunch is held in-house, that's an hour. I mean, it could be one of the players, maybe bring some examples of work they have done and just have a q&a, doesn't have to be a formal presentation.
Or how about this, ask anybody who is coming if they would be willing to answer questions on painting, converting, terrain, etc... Maybe they can say a few words on their chosen subject and then be available through the tournament for short chats with interested coaches.

- ancient Dwarf toast

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 15, 2005 - 01:21 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Rune_Master wrote:
if lunch is held in-house
Lunch was everyone on his own both days as there are several places very close the battle bunker to grab food and many folks willing to bring stuff back for those without travel means.

Galak

Rune_MasterOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 15, 2005 - 01:27 PM

ok ok ok, then just post on the website beforehand that certain coaches have been confirmed, maybe post a pic or two of their team, their custom pitch, whatever. And let it be known that it would be greatly appreciated if people "highlighted" as such would be available for chats/q&a's/etc throughout the time of the tourny. maybe give them some sort of special recognition award or something
Or we could get Matt Forbeck(?),the guy that wrote the Blood Bowl "novel", and take him out back before he writes again!

- ancient Dwarf toast

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 15, 2005 - 01:33 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Rune_Master wrote:
Or we could get Matt Forbeck(?),the guy that wrote the Blood Bowl "novel", and take him out back before he writes again!
Now I liked the BB novels. They were light reading fun. I met Matt at GenCon and he was definitely a good guy. He came over to watch the last round of the GenCon Bowl with JJ.

Galak

Last edited by GalakStarscraper on Nov 15, 2005 - 01:53 PM; edited 1 time in total

Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 15, 2005 - 01:41 PM

Carol Stream
There is a guy who works at the GW Battle Bunker (where the Chaos Cup is held) that makes most of the scenery tables in the place and is a Golden Daemon winner several times over. He was working the counter during the Chaos Cup this year. Galak, I'm sure if you ran it by Joe, he would probably allow this guy, Tim Lison ( http://demonwinner.free.fr/peintre.php?id_peintre=136 ), to do something of the nature.

If GW did do that, then the question is when? My best guess would be to make it optional for those who wanted to stick around after the games on the first day of the tourney. That may be the best time. Between wouldn't work. Just some thoughts.

It is a pretty good suggestion, and since the resource is there no extra cost (or minimum). If this may help draw people, it may be worth looking into.

Now what I was going to suggest is if we could up the playing time to 2:15 for games and a 30-45 minute break. I know there are lots of things to ebter and calculate before the next matches, it's just sometimes really tight playing a game in the 2 hours. Any thoughts on that?

Rune_MasterOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 15, 2005 - 01:42 PM

OK...I'm done...you've beaten me down far enough thank you...anybody ELSE have any ideas?

- ancient Dwarf toast

Jonny_POffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 15, 2005 - 01:57 PM

United States of America
Let's get Phil (Stout Youngblood) to make a custom Chaos Cup bb pitch, sell it to GW and have GW give that away as a prize or raffle prize. That would be awesome. Phil - post some pics if you think this is a good idea.

For local painting/scuplting talent, yes the Bunker's Tim Lison, and other local Golden Demon winners Jen Haley and Joe Orteza. All 3 have scuplted models for the very popular Chicago Warhammer event, Adepticon www.adepticon.org - you can probly talk to the organizer of Adepticon for those people's contact info.

As far as a painting/scuplting/terrain building class I don't think it would work well for time, but to have more prizes that is something everyone is for. I thought the scheduling was fine as it left you a little time to finish a game if it was running over into a break period.

Another option could be with every paid Chaos Cup entry GW gives 20-30% off product those days for those people. It's not enough to hurt them in any way, yet it gives a little more incentive.

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 15, 2005 - 02:00 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Now what I was going to suggest is if we could up the playing time to 2:15 for games and a 30-45 minute break.
Most players had 2:15 or more to play their next match this year.

As soon as I had the next round figured out I put out the sheets for the next match. Thus allowing you to start as soon as you and your opponent were ready. I plan on doing this next year as well.

30 to 45 minutes is enough time for me to get the matches figures out. So I plan on just trying to get the matches out for folks to start early IF they desire to. My problem is that since I don't have food brought in for lunch ... I REALLY need to allow an hour break between rounds. If I go with 2:15 rounds ... then we end up wrapping up at 7 pm IF everything starts on time ... this year .. we got started 20 minutes late because of folks rolling in at 5 minutes to 10 and wanting to be in the tournament.

I'd rather assign rounds early and have 2 hour cutoffs to the rounds than have the tournament finishing at 7:30 because we start late and the rounds are 2:15 long.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Tom

Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 15, 2005 - 02:12 PM

Carol Stream
      Quote:
Hopefully that makes sense.

Good points and it does make sense. Just some of the things people like me don't really think about that much when playing the games and not running them.

vt_doogieOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 15, 2005 - 04:56 PM

United States of America
OK I realize GW Chicago is in the driver's seat on date...

But I want to bring up one other point and then will shut-up and wait to see if the dates hapen to get lucky and I'm free around Aug/Sep next year.

GalakStarscraper wrote:
Okay .. a 2nd response.

2) I think we are working under a basic false assumption on what we can get for attendance.

The GenCon Bowl and Chaos Cup have been run for the same number of years. Let's look at Total Attendance and NAF attendance for both:

GenCon:
2003 - 60 coaches (48 NAF)
2004 - 46 coaches (40 NAF)
2005 - 53 coaches (47 NAF) (JJ attends)

Chaos Cup
2003 - 42 coaches (22 NAF) (JJ attends)
2004 - 22 coaches (14 NAF)
2005 - 18 coaches (18 NAF)

=========================

Galak

My Thoughts on the numbers:
GenCon is in the SUMMER, when school is out of session.
2003 was a big boom year in BB interest.
JJ draws a crowd.
GenCon will probably always draw a bigger crowd due to the big Gaming convention that draws people regardless of the BB.

GW -Chicago PROBABLY (Note this is MY opinion only) prefers having events like the Chaos Cup in the fall months to try to bring in extra sales in a lower sales period. I'm guessing that during the summer the place is packed with kiddies spending there summer in the game shop. I'm guessing that the time frame is before the big thanksgiving Christmas sales rush. They aren't as busy and would like extra sales. I can't blame them.

Summer, as you prove Galak, is the time of year that people prefer to travel as a family. The only way this tourney will have staying power as something other than a regional tourney will require a timing change, IMO. The die-hard will come if their schedules allow, but I still feel at least half of those die-hards in the US are real-life football fanatics (Pro, College, or HS). And the US major isn't an option for them half the years. That to me is a shame, but I'll shut-up now.

My only suggestions for drawing in more of the locals are:
1) Advertise, advertise, advertise (check if the Chicago GW sends out a local/regional flyer to frequent customers and ask for a small corner to advertise)
2) Suggest local leagues try having their seasons end before the tourney and the winner of the season gets a paid (by the league) trip to the CC. Others will carpool with them...

DeathwingOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 15, 2005 - 05:54 PM
Former President

England
OK, first of all I'm glad to see things have calmed down a little on this thread. I know it's an emotive subject but some of the remarks made were OTT in my opinion. Please, everybody, keep it calm and civil in future.
That said, some of my thoughts on the subject. Bear in mind that the scene (as I understand it) is very different here in Europe, so my thoughts may not be relevent or practical
We've established that The Chaos Cup will be in Chicago in early Nov 2006, so let's focus on how to make that tournament at that time more attractive to those with further to travel. I'm not sure that prizes/discounts alone are enough, although they're gonna help. (As indeed is the enhanced reputation of the organisational side of thngs that Galak's worked so hard on). The lead time we've got now does help immensely.

There's some good things happening with regard to making the 2006 CC into a weekend event running Fri eve through Sunday eve post tourney wind-down as opposed to a two day BB tournament. Get something organised for the Friday evening in terms of maybe an early evening meal, then onto a suitable bar to go onto and where later Fri arrivals could head to to meet up with the crowd. That hopefully will help bring in the outer-towners.

I'm going to make it a personal priority to attend the 2006 Chaos Cup. I think that after the support that GW Chicago are promising and the hard work that Galak's put in it'll be worth the trans-Atlantic trip (esp after reports from Valen after this year). It's probably (as in the last two years) simply too close to the Eurobowl to attract any significant Euro attendence, but if Gav returns and we can drum up 2 or 3 more for company, then that's something at least.

Whatever, I intend to be there ( it's a little embarassing that of all the US and Canadian coaches I've known online down the last few years the only ones that I've met personally are the ones that have attended the Blood Bowl ). Hope to meet as many as you as possible there, I'd love to see the CC attract a regular (realistic) 30-35 in future, and get on a lot of coaches must go at least once list as well as being on the wouldn't miss list of more coaches than at present.

I believe the structure is there, this is almost like a success waiting to happen, if we (as NAF members/tourney players) really pull out the stops in terms of trying to attend (and support Galak and GW Chicago's efforts) then CC 06 could really get rolling, achieve the kind of momentum (that it's been difficult to build so far) and have a true US Major worthy of the name for years to come.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic