NAF Logo
leftstar May 12, 2024 - 01:36 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Wez got ur coach. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
CoachGroddOffline
Post subject: Da Cage  PostPosted: Feb 12, 2003 - 01:19 PM

I've recently started playing with a Nurlge Rotter team, and I was thinking of trying to run a cage based offense with them. However, the one game I played with them saw the cage never form completely and after formation gain maybe one square of movement before somebody breaks into it. My main concern is the cage's lack of mobility. Can any chaos players out there maybe suggest a better way of doing thins?

Reply with quote Back to top
AnthonyTBBFOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2003 - 01:31 PM

Toronto, ON
I have found you need to keep things a bit looser with Chaos (much to my demise). The lack of agility and skills early on means it's easy to stop a traditional cage. I suggest using more of a screen and blocking off routes to the ball carrier with Beastmen.

Orion Cup - June 8, 2013

Blank_PageOffline
Post subject: Very true Anthony!  PostPosted: Feb 12, 2003 - 01:59 PM

Canada
While the cage is the best form of ball protection in the game, it really isin't designed to be offensive. You have the ball and don't want to relinquish it... form a cage.

If mobility becomes an issue, you'll probably have to maneuver some player out into the open and do as Anthony said, "Block off moving lanes" or whatever he said...

When I play dwarves and my oponent wants to try and swarm the cage, they'll usually prevent any movement on ym next turn. However, since he has positioned his players close to mine, I'll be happy not moving since I can now throw more than one blitz-action block.. You'll find mobility increases when you outnumber your oponent. NOTE, Since this game involves dice, no casualty based strategy should ever be employed prior to any game... you won't hurt anyone...

On the other hand, When I play my Wood Elves, designed to score in two turns. My oponent rarely get's a clean shot at the ball carrier, because of the cage. Woodies move so fast, they can position the cage numerous squares back deep in the oponents side of the field. The only defense for this is either a leaping player or swarming the cage. Trust me, if they can swarm the cage and are smart/experienced... you'll have trouble scoring, and if they leap in... You should know that you couldn't do anything anyways... it's just luck.

Hopefully this will help you decide to run a newer offensive playbook. As the "Cage" in my opinion is strictly defensive.

CoachGroddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2003 - 02:06 PM

Hmmm, I'd seen so much about this cage online that it seemed like a good idea. Back to the drawing board, I guess.

So what you mean by closing up lanes is shoving opposing players back with the beastmen and getting tackle zones on all the ones who can get to the ball player? Easier said than done with the woodies etc.

Another message from the good people of Grodd Corp.

Obey Grodd.

AnthonyTBBFOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2003 - 04:38 PM

Toronto, ON
Basically I mean you should put tackle zones areound the routes to your ball carrier so that anyone trying to get to him will have to make some difficult dodges to do so.

Orion Cup - June 8, 2013

Blank_PageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2003 - 07:48 PM

Canada
Also, with other players keeping open in different places on the field. It'll be easier to move the ball carrier ahead and into the new cage.

Cages take four players. If you plan ahead and make sure you can make another somewhere else, then you'll be gaining ground, and be keeping the ball very well protected.

No need for the drawing board, practice makes better.

Also, never make a cage with all eight adjacent squares next to the ball carrier... Especially with an oposing player that has contact with one of those squares...

You'll find out later!

CoachGroddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2003 - 11:02 PM

Blank_Page wrote:

Also, never make a cage with all eight adjacent squares next to the ball carrier... Especially with an oposing player that has contact with one of those squares...

You'll find out later!

Actually, I pretty much found out first game. The most frustrating part was that the woodies would just run up to cancel out assists, then the one wardancer on the team would creep in through a gap and make a one dice block on the beastman when the wardancer has block.

Interesting idea with the multiple cages, I'll have to give that a go.

At least defense is pretty solid with them. Run around. Hit things. Get the rotters near anybody who looks like a receiver/passer (of course with the woodies that was the whole f'ing team. Oh well, a tie game and five casualties later, I think I evened things out.)

Another message from the good people of Grodd Corp.

Obey Grodd.

SquiggothOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 13, 2003 - 02:01 AM

I always make my cages shaped like a Bretonnian Lance Formation (pointy and sharp, that is...) and try to break trough where there's very little opposition. Then again, that always fails when the cage gets invaded after 1 or 2 turns... Wink

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
skummyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 13, 2003 - 07:23 AM

CoachGrodd: Would you let us know how it goes with the Rotters? It has the potential to be a real monster, but I'm interested to see how such an expensive team does without an apothecary.

-Oscar Wilde

MarcusOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 13, 2003 - 08:18 AM

Da Cage is not a "way to play". It's nothing more than a means to prevent a blitz on the ball carrier. At best, it's a quick mental reminder of how to position your players to prevent getting turned over. It doesn't have to look like the classic 5 of diamonds format and you don't always have to use it.

Don't slavishly follow playbooks. Think about what you want to achieve in your turn, think about what your opponent will try to do in his turn. Formations like Da Cage simply reminders.

LucyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 13, 2003 - 08:27 AM

Undisclosed

Actually, I lose lots of matches because I hate the cage. I hate to play it myself and dislike it when others do it. So I dislike it lots off times Rolling Eyes

I prefer to position as little man as possible in frontlines to prevent players reaching the ball carrier or they have to blitz one player and position one/two players next to my carrier.

Actually, most games are a total surprise (My set up takes less than 30 sec.s) and the more chaotic it unfolds, the better I get to grips with it....

Or I'm imagining things again.....

Lucy, who is unable to end sentences with only one dot.
Twisted Evil

DaveOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 13, 2003 - 04:21 PM
da Veiz-Prez

Netherlands
      Quote:
Lucy, who is unable to end sentences with only one dot.

No wonder with such an avatar Laughing Laughing

Don't really like a cage eighter but will use it to win matches / keep the ball / etc ...

GrumbledookOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 13, 2003 - 05:02 PM

I love caging and use it a lot, expect it from me at the blood bowl ;]

Jon

McDethOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 14, 2003 - 08:48 AM

depends how you use it, dont expect 2 or 3 turn Td's, if used properly it can take 6 7 or ebven 8 turns, plus you shouldn't have break more than half way into the other half to be able to score, before your ball carrier acan break through to scroe, Ghouls and Bull Centaurs are perfect for this as they have the best MA on Cage potential teams.

estielerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 15, 2003 - 03:45 AM

The cage is a level 1 tactic. That's not meant as a slam. It's an easy thing to teach a new person to allow them to protect the ball. Level 2 is how to move the ball downfield.

I think people that dislike the cage are level 5 people that have grown out of it and can see different ways of protecting and moving the ball. Beginners should always learn how to form, hamper and break down the cage. Personal Opinion.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic