NAF Logo
leftstar Apr 28, 2024 - 12:26 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
One, reroll, one. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
dervOffline
Post subject: "Action" counters  PostPosted: Oct 17, 2005 - 02:13 PM

Does anyone else place a counter next to a player once their action is complete? I find it quite difficult to remember which players have moved sometimes, particularly in a slow moving game where the majority of players are all bunched together around the ball!

We have three types of counter, one for a normal move (x11), one for a Blitz action and one for a foul. That way nobody gets missed or moved twice.

Would I get strange looks if I bought counters to a tournament? Embarassed

Surely it can't just be me who uses them Very Happy

Reply with quote Back to top
XtremeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 17, 2005 - 03:16 PM
Da Boss

United States of America
I think most people spin the model around once it has completed its action. So then you can see who is yet to be moved.

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 17, 2005 - 03:59 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Xtreme wrote:
I think most people spin the model around once it has completed its action. So then you can see who is yet to be moved.
Actually ... we really should mention this in the new rules somewhere.

Galak

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 17, 2005 - 05:13 PM

Canada
What might be a good idea is to have the counters on the side line, so that you can flip them when they get used in a turn - particularly if you are prone to forgetting such things. they could say Blitz! on one side, and Blitz Used on the other, something like that.

This might actually be a good idea for teams with Big Guys or the ogre team who can lose their blitz or pass actions without having anything to show for it. That can make it easier to forget.

But as for looking weird, who cares! Bring them if they help you. I would think they were interesting, and as long as they did not slow the game too much, they would be okay by me.

Spazz

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 17, 2005 - 08:54 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
Most people turn the minis either 90 or 180 degrees after performing an action with them. Then at the end of your turn either turn them back, or make sure everyone is facing the same way.

People rarely have difficulty remembering about blitzes etc.

alternatOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 18, 2005 - 12:45 AM

Doubleskulls wrote:

mainly because if I try the second blitz my opponent is quite eager to remember me that I already did one.
most of the times this happens when I try the first blitz, too...

KhaineOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 18, 2005 - 08:47 AM

Doubleskulls wrote:
Most people turn the minis either 90 or 180 degrees after performing an action with them. Then at the end of your turn either turn them back, or make sure everyone is facing the same way.

Maybe you don't, But some of us have memory issues... I turn my mini's around, but now that it has been mentioned it would be a good house rule to make counters available for people. I do find that in certain games people seem to either forget their blitz or try to slip a second one past...

On a side note, what kind of counters do you use? I could actually see something like a spin sign on bases Smile. I'd probably end up using poker chips or some of those pebbles people used to use for MTG.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
BuggritOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 03, 2006 - 04:49 AM

In your dugout pimping your cheerleaders!
I encourage the 90 degree turning of mini's afterwards, other coaches grumble about doing this but it stops them from moving a player twice in one turn.

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 04, 2006 - 06:01 PM

Undisclosed
Necro, necro, necro, necro!

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

DrunkZombieOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 24, 2009 - 10:54 AM

United States of America
My league does a 180 spin for when a player has taken their turn and a 90 spin for those that lost their tacklezones. (ie hypnotic gazed or failed stupid rolls)

Justin_KaseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 18, 2009 - 10:39 PM

DrunkZombie wrote:
My league does a 180 spin for when a player has taken their turn and a 90 spin for those that lost their tacklezones. (ie hypnotic gazed or failed stupid rolls)

I like the idea of the half spin for lost Tackle Zones - I'd been using the base rings from Impact! to show who lost TZs, but, as I also used them to mark players with skills in tourneys, I run out of rings when I play a Vamp team Razz

I tend to do the 180 turn when I play, though I start with the whole team facing me (instead of down field) and end the turn with them all facing the opponent. Why? Well, all those little faces looking at me helps jog my memory to move them - and when I finish, it looks cooler having everyone facing my opponent Smile

smeborgOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 19, 2009 - 04:59 AM

What I find consistently best is to turn each model 90 degrees when his/her/its action is completed. Then, at the end of your turn, turn them all back to face the front. This has the least room for error, and also acts as a quick and simple check that everybody has taken their turn. So in practice it leads to quicker and more accurate play.

Some coaches like to turn their players 180 degrees, leave them there, and then do the reverse in their following turn. This has the great defect that at some point in the drive the coach will forget which facing is which (i.e. is it the players facing front or back who have taken an action?). I have observed this many, many times.

I have been an advocate of the 90 degree method for many years. It seems to be catching on. And as already said, 180 degrees should be kept for lost tackle zones.

I think putting all this in the rulebook would be neat.

All the best.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic