NAF Logo
leftstar May 11, 2024 - 07:32 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
NAF President in expenses scandal! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Which Name do you prefer
The Amorical Cup
33%
 33%  [ 13 ]
The New World Cup
66%
 66%  [ 26 ]
Total Votes : 39

CyberHare
Post subject: North America Bowl?  PostPosted: Nov 16, 2005 - 06:36 AM

I posted this over on TBB but I'll repost it here since I think more of you float around here.

I'm wondering if there is interest in holding a Eurobowl style event in North America. Obviuosly we couldn't do a country based event or we'd only have two teams Razz It would have to either be based on teams from states/provinces or even by city. I also don't think we'd be able to have 8 person teams. 5 is probably more likely a good number for us as we are simply a lot more spread out and have a smaller pot to draw from.

So who's interested? Idea's for a name for the event? Where should we hold it? When?

I'll start by saying that I'm interested and I can certanly get a team of 5 together for Quebec. I like "The Americas Cup" but that's kinda already taken Crying or Very sad As for where this year it would be interesting if we had all interested parties bid on the event for this year. Sort of like cities bid on the Olympics. After that we could do as the Eurobowl does and give the winning State/Prov first refusal to host the event next year. Time of year is always tricky. We'll need eveyone to sound off as to when they're holding their events and sort it out from there.

Come on lets get this idea off the ground and make it work! Ok so Quebec is a guarunteed win. The rest of you can show up for second place Laughing

Last edited by CyberHare on Nov 22, 2005 - 06:00 PM; edited 5 times in total

Reply with quote Back to top
Hoshi_KomiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 16, 2005 - 07:00 AM

United States of America
I'd definitely be interested. The I'm sure DC could put a team together and PA probably could too!

Hoshi_KomiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 16, 2005 - 07:17 AM

United States of America
I'd even say that an area could field two teams if they have enough people. ie an A team and a B team.

Location: I think toronto, quebec, mass, DC and Philly as the current major NA travelling teams. So NY city would probably be the most central place for everyone.

Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 16, 2005 - 07:38 AM

United States of America
Sounds intriguing...

aka Rob (NAF #248)
President of the Lord Borak Fan Club
Founder of the GCLU
Commissioner, TO, Goblin King, NEBBN TSO

SolarFlareOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 16, 2005 - 08:30 AM

This sounds like a great idea. Time/geography will be the biggest issues. Since its counterpart is the Eurobowl, maybe it could be called the Norabowl.

CyberHare
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 16, 2005 - 08:45 AM

Hmm NYC might be a good idea. Neo lives there.

If we want more teams maybe we could do them City based instead of State/Prov. Lets just see if we can get people for one team first.

PaulOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 16, 2005 - 10:23 AM

Canada
Sounds like a cool idea, and Toronto could easily field 2 teams.

I say we just make it a standard tournament and let people come up with their own teams though. One thing about North American tournaments is that we are usually smaller than those in Europe. If we have teams from certin areas that might discourage other players from going who might be over the limit. ie, if 6 people from Montreal can go, I don't see why we should turn 1 guy away because the team is of 5 people.

Maybe if you had 2 awards, top player and top team? This way, if a player who isn't on any team shows up, he can still play, and who knows, maybe they can find some other loners and make "team everybody else"

jaylazerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 16, 2005 - 10:57 AM

I think it's a good idea and you can count me in.

We could probably get 5 people from the philly area to play.

Paul, we could figure out some way of including players. In my Cross Country days there were 7 players. Only the first 5 players actually placed while the last 2 would displace. (Scoring was total up each of first 5 players positions. Team with lowest score wins).

It wouldn't completely work here but we can figure it out I'm sure.

Could we have "united" teams? Like Western US All-stars, so all the players scattered about could jump on a team together.

CyberHare
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 16, 2005 - 11:17 AM

Get their names on a list Paul and we'll see from there. Maybe the limit should be 8 but I have a hard time seeing every team being able to get 8 people willing and able to travel who can attend.

jaylazerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 16, 2005 - 11:21 AM

I think 5 is a good number, maybe even 4. I think it'll be hard enough to get 5 every year. 8 would be really hard.

BB_BabeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 16, 2005 - 11:28 AM

Interesting idea. Albany might be worth considering too, likely to find cheaper digs than NYC, and more central for Toronto, Montreal and Philly.

United Teams would be a great option.

The Vespucci Bowl Mr. Green

Cheers,
Maureen

Some Boston Blood Bowl Stuff
http://redwings-wilder.livejournal.com/

lawquoterOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 16, 2005 - 11:44 AM

United States of America

Definitely interesting. I could only count myself and Mrin from the Stl, and Mrin might be out if it's placed about the time schools start up.

#1 U.S. Vampire Coach (of 2 )

*note: loss only on the Street while playing halflings.

BB_BabeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 16, 2005 - 01:26 PM

Out of curiousity, I just phoned up the SUNY Albany campus. Normally, they rent rooms and dormitory space for summer events. But they're not available this summer -- they're quite busy hosting the Special Olympics and doing renovations. However there are other schools in the area we could try. Colleges and universities can usually provide cheap space.

Some Boston Blood Bowl Stuff
http://redwings-wilder.livejournal.com/

CyberHare
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 16, 2005 - 01:40 PM

jaylazer wrote:
Could we have "united" teams? Like Western US All-stars, so all the players scattered about could jump on a team together.

I think, in fact I'm certain we'll need to be a little relaxed on exactly where people are from that form a team and where they are representing. I think that as long as a team has 5 people that all want to represent the same place and at least 3 of them are from that place then all is good. Having "united" teams should be perfectly fine.

Good we're starting to get some people talking about this. Lets get a little communication going and pass the word around to people who arn't always here to poke their heads in here and sound off.

While we're at it we need to figure out a when and a where. To start with a when will depend on a good open time when people are free. I'll start a new thread so people can sound off as to when they are holding their tournies in 2006. From there we can sort out a good time.

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 16, 2005 - 01:45 PM

Canada
I would be interested, but need to wait for more BB players to move to Brampton first! (don't want to be trucking with the likes of them TBBFers). Wink

Maybe I could get together with Drew the Anti-Social Crustacean and the Boyz from da Fallz and we can make a "Hair Team" Laughing

Spazz

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic