NAF Logo
leftstar May 14, 2024 - 08:50 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Broken Ribs! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
littlemuteOffline
Post subject: Are the norse still the worst team in BB?  PostPosted: Dec 20, 2005 - 09:37 AM

Just wondering if the nerfing of the upgradable big guy's that also nerfed the already hellishly weak norse team has been rectified at all in 4.0?

What the norse have are excellent but slow catchers and uh... I think that's it.

Reply with quote Back to top
Rune_MasterOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 20, 2005 - 09:43 AM

also have Block on everyone to start, effective blitzers, and relatively inexpensive players and re-rolls

"Ho! stand to your flagons steady!
'Tis all we have left to prize.
A drink to the dead already,--
Hurrah for the next that dies."
- ancient Dwarf toast

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Rune_MasterOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 20, 2005 - 10:08 AM

ok, so Norse re-rolls aren't that inexpensive in the grand scheme...still, I wouldn't say they are the worst team. While fun to play, I'd vote for goblins or halflings, if by worst you mean their difficulty to effectively/consistantly win.

- ancient Dwarf toast

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
PaulOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 20, 2005 - 12:05 PM

Canada
Yea Norse teams can be quite good, but their AV really kills them (sorry for the pun)

Every norse team I've ever seen played usually does well, but then they run into a Dwarf or Khemri team that just destroys them leaving them with 3 less players (usually the 3 best players are the ones who are left dead at the end of the game)

maxlongstreetOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 20, 2005 - 02:32 PM

As someone who has been playing Norse all year, I can attest to the truth of the axiom that the Norse are fairly good in tournaments and at the start of a league, but suck badly for high TR league play. I managed to win our league with Norse, but it was a newbie league, and it still took an F-ing miracle--I'll probably never be so lucky again in this lifetime. By the end of the league, I was badly outclassed by every team I faced. I played a Chaos Dwarf team in our semis--my dirty players fouled about seven of his players out of the game, and I still should have lost. Other teams have caught up in the block department, and most teams are both faster AND better armored than you are.

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 20, 2005 - 07:12 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

I had a solution for this with PBBL ... but couldn't get enough traction to make the change. MBBL is trying it out to see if it really is balanced as I thought it was ... maybe someday it will happen.

Galak

Rune_MasterOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 21, 2005 - 07:58 AM

...and that solution was...?

- ancient Dwarf toast

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 21, 2005 - 08:09 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Rune_Master wrote:
...and that solution was...?

[Race:Norse]
16;Lineman;50;6;3;3;7;Block;G
2;Thrower;70;6;3;3;7;Block, Pass;GP
2;Runner;90;7;3;3;7;Block, Dauntless;GA
2;Berserker;90;6;3;3;7;Block, Frenzy, Jump Up;GS
2;Ulfenwerener;120;7;4;2;8;Frenzy;GS
1;Werebear;130;4;5;2;8;LONER, Claws, Frenzy, Thick Skull, Wild Animal;S
Reroll=60

The coaches have played 32 games so far in the league with these changes for a record right now of: 12 wins/15 losses/5 ties which puts them dead center in the middle of the races for overall win %.

So they are not destroying opponents so far as was predicted they would by the opposition to the changes (team has taken more CAS than caused so far as a race in those 32 games).

The real test was that we hoped the bit of speed added and the bit of Strength added would give the team more viability in the higher TR ranges ... I'm waiting to see if that happens as the teams progress. But at least of the low TRs the team seems to be performing fine.

Galak

littlemuteOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 21, 2005 - 07:58 PM

Goblins and Halflings are "joke" teams.

It's hard to place the 'best' team in BB, Chaos Dwarfs, Skaven, Woodelves, Undead and Orks all have a shot at the top spot for various reasons, but I can't think of a team that comes even close to being as weak in a league situation as the norse among the 'serious' teams. I think the fact is that advancement helps the other teams more, where the norse stay very similar even with half the players with an extra skill.

The blitzers are slow and weak. Block is nice but jump up is just OK for a player with such a slow speed anyway. Frenzy is nerfed, and the obvious combo skill, piling on, is mega nerfed due to the abuse by the big guys.

I do agree their players are on the cheap side, yet having a full roster of norse mid-season is still near impossible to accomplish.

MagicDaveOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 22, 2005 - 03:41 AM

England
norse are great in a tourney. give a blitzer strip ball and he will rock. dont think at all they are the worst team Rolling Eyes

ValenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 22, 2005 - 05:26 AM

England
Well if you look at the NAF rankings, ther are 10 races appear in the top 50. Then the races that appear the most are

1 Undead (Cool
- Skaven (Cool
3 Wood Elves (6)
4 Norse (5)
5 Chaos Dwarves (4)
- Lizards (4)
- Orcs (4)
- Dwarves (4)
- Necros (4)
10 Humans (1)

So they cant be all that bad surely?

XtremeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 22, 2005 - 03:02 PM
Da Boss

United States of America
Its not that they are bad at low TR. Its when the league starts to get into the higher TR levels where norse start to struggle.

ValenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 22, 2005 - 03:23 PM

England
Being the only BB player in the village I am limited to tornis, so I will back out of this discussion

stick_with_poo_on_the_endOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 23, 2005 - 04:00 AM

Being quite new to Norse myself I have found them to be ???When they are good They are Very Very Good, but when they are Bad they are Orrid!!!???. All that block and frenzy can really hurt an opponent, but when they go wrong they go wrong very badly. Frenzy can leave you blitzers very open and out of position and with AV7 all across the board the go ???squish??? very easy! I can mirror the other comments that they struggle at higher TR. My team is now around the TR170 mark and wining games is not as easy as it once was especially against other bashy teams. But at low TR they can be devastating if used in the right hands. I have been on the receiving end a big Norse spanking when they annihilated my Chaos Dwarfs at tournie. In short, fantastic at low TR but hard work at high TR

maxlongstreetOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 23, 2005 - 02:12 PM

What poo stick said.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic