NAF Logo
leftstar Apr 27, 2024 - 05:10 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Rock n Roll rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
SpazzfistOffline
Post subject: The Challenge of Q'ermitt - Toronto tourney, Summer '06  PostPosted: Jan 29, 2006 - 11:45 AM

Canada
This is the second annual Challenge of Q'ermit, hosted by Hammers of the North.

In this tournament participating teams will have an opportunity to span the globe, as they are transported via the portals of the Old Ones, to play in Blood Bowl pitches all over the world to determine who is truly the mightiest.

Players will have the chance to play on eight of nine specially constucted boards which represent different geographical locations (e.g. desert, ice, goblin swamp stadium). Each pitch will have their own special rules (for weather, etc.) which will be included in the tournament package. The two players who advance to the finals will be playing in the temple of the mighty Slann, Q'ermitt, who (for reasons known only to him) is set to determine who is the mightiest Blood Bowl team in the world and bestow them with the mystical Plaque of Q'ermitt.

I am starting to make the plans for the Challenge of Q'ermitt 2006, and before I nail too many details, I want to get feedback form prospective atendees.

I am looking towards July for the date, but need to nail things down with the Oakville Battle Bunker where I plan to be hosting this event.

I would also really like to hear from the Ottawa, Montreal attendees as I would like to get feedback as to how I can make this tournament run so that I can get you home at a decent hour on Sunday!

I will probably also be running the Stunty Cup on the Saturday night as I did last year. I will post a separate thread for that one.

Any feedback from those who attended last year that can help me make this a bigger and better tourney I would love to hear from you.

Hope to see you there,

Spazz

EDIT -
The following people have indictaed they WILL be coming

Anthony Watts
Joe Michaud
Paul Connors
Ben (Defending Champion) Tusim - Dwarves
Garth - Humans
Kolja Eppert - Chaos
Rob Pharand
Rod Davidson
Dan Campbell - Necro
Chairface -Lizzies or humans
Baccus 2099
Glenn Jones - dwarf
(Glenn's friend)
Angryrob
Eric R.
Wolfhowl
Ben's nephew

The following people have indictaed they MIGHT be coming
David Sutton
GKen
Ben's brother
Grant85
Trojan65 - orcs
Twist

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

Last edited by Spazzfist on Jul 17, 2006 - 09:11 AM; edited 17 times in total

Reply with quote Back to top
PaulOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 29, 2006 - 12:57 PM

Canada
Any plans on new boards Spazz? I've been tossing around the idea of making another pitch in my spare time and if you need something/had something in mind, I might be able to help you out.

For a Toronto guy, I say screw the bunker and hold it at Dueling Grounds, yea, it was a little cramped, but its right near some bars and a hotel down the road for the out of towners.

Also, a couple rules need to be cleared up for some of the pitches, but we can get to that later if you're just looking for logistical suggestions now.

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 29, 2006 - 03:11 PM

Undisclosed
Spazz-
My only suggestion pertains to The Stunty Cup, so please feel free to move this post to that thread when it is up. That said...I would change the format of the games from "First TD Wins"...this favors the person who wins the kick-off roll to too great of an extent.

Two suggestions for this are...

1. Turn this into a BB 7's tourney for the initial round(s). This will address the problem of having this "side" tourney from taking too much time and still give both teams an even playing filed.

OR

2. For something a bit different...why not forgo the Kick Off all together, as it is in the final game, and set up a neutral zone where the the ball will be placed to start the game. The first player to move will still have something of an advantage, but they will not always start the game with the ball...and are less likely to end the game in 3 turns.

Just my thjoughts.
-Rob

NAF Member #5236
---

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 29, 2006 - 05:08 PM

Canada
      Paul wrote:
Any plans on new boards Spazz? I've been tossing around the idea of making another pitch in my spare time and if you need something/had something in mind, I might be able to help you out..

Well if you check out the web site in my signature, there is an ongoing poll. Right now, skaven have a pretty commanding lead. I also would like to make the Mordheim pitch that was planned for last year by master sculptor Mike Cheney. But due to major illnesses across his family (including his own stroke) he was unable to complete it. But if you would like to help out that would be super!

Paul wrote:
For a Toronto guy, I say screw the bunker and hold it at Dueling Grounds, yea, it was a little cramped, but its right near some bars and a hotel down the road for the out of towners. .

I hear you, but I am still thinking that these would be better (and more comfortable) arrangements. Also not as far for me to go!

Paul wrote:
Also, a couple rules need to be cleared up for some of the pitches, but we can get to that later if you're just looking for logistical suggestions now.

Fire away man. I know there were a couple of unclear things, and I would like to get those ironed out ASAP. One thing I am going to do away with is the death=lost skills as I had. A lot of people seemes to not like that very much.

Spazz

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 29, 2006 - 05:11 PM

Canada
Paul,

Do you have a fresh link for those Q'ermitt photos from last year? They were really good and would help people who have not been to get a sense of the custom boards.

Appreciate it.

Spazz

P.S. KL, I have responded to your Stunty Cup queries in the new thread.

PaulOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 29, 2006 - 08:08 PM

Canada
http://torch.cs.dal.ca/~pconnors/BB/Qermitt/

there you go Spazz.

I didn't take the pics, they were taken by one of the TBBF guys who dropped by to check out the action.

PaulOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 29, 2006 - 08:22 PM

Canada
      Quote:
Well if you check out the web site in my signature, there is an ongoing poll. Right now, skaven have a pretty commanding lead. I also would like to make the Mordheim pitch that was planned for last year by master sculptor Mike Cheney. But due to major illnesses across his family (including his own stroke) he was unable to complete it. But if you would like to help out that would be super!

I've actually got a Skaven stadium back in Halifax and I'm planning on getting it moved up here, should be here by July. The field itself isn't anything fancy, just green turf with a big Skaven logo in the middle, some stands and dugouts (that I'm probably going to redo)

I'm also tossing around the idea of doing either an Orc or Dwarf field uphere. Nothing as elaborate as the Skaven field to start with since my apartment doesn't have much room for storage.

Quote:
Fire away man. I know there were a couple of unclear things, and I would like to get those ironed out ASAP. One thing I am going to do away with is the death=lost skills as I had. A lot of people seemes to not like that very much.

Yea, the death = lost skills thing kinda sucked. It didn't happen to me, but it would have sucked. I'll try to dig out the rulebook from last year and go through it. I know one thing that is confusing is for the final tables kick-off table. Theres one result where the skink healer brings back a player who was injured. It should be cleared up if this player can be put onto the field, or has gotta sit in the box until the next kickoff (this happened last year when me and Ben were playing in the Final) If the player can't go on the box, it doesn't seem like much of a kick off roll, as it has no effect on the game (while most do) but if he does go on the field, players strategies change, so you gotta clear up if you set up again.

I think we settled on a location on the sideline where he could enter play (my endzone, which is better than the box, but not where you want a troll slayer to be Smile) This should all be clarified in the rules I think.

Anyways, I'll dig up the rules and let you know if anything else is unclear. This was the only issue that came up last year that I was involved in.

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 29, 2006 - 08:27 PM

Canada
Paul,

Thanks for the offer of the skaven stadium, if you want to bring it that would be great - and that offer is open to all! I want to make the tournament one that is totally played on custom-made boards. In the future I would like to be awarding prizes not only for best painted teams, but best pitch brought to the tourney.

I still plan on making my own pitch however, but first I need to think about how I am going with it. Whether one of the skaven clans or a sewer pitch or whatever. Need to get my mind around this one.

I will also go through the old rulebook and see what I can find. I know there were some other tweaks that needed doing. (And no Talons, there was nothing wrong with the tremors result for the Chaos Dwarf pitch, it is not my fault that you can't read! Wink)

Spazz

PaulOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 30, 2006 - 02:15 PM

Canada
Well, since Spazz probably isn't going to post this in his own thread, and he seems to do it everywheres else.

"Will Chaos and Rotter teams be allowed to take mutations as regular skills?"

Smile

As for my stadium, if I've got it up here, I'll bring it along if its possible (pretty big and its a long trip to Brampton from my place)

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 30, 2006 - 04:45 PM

Canada
      Paul wrote:
Well, since Spazz probably isn't going to post this in his own thread, and he seems to do it everywheres else.

"Will Chaos and Rotter teams be allowed to take mutations as regular skills?"

Laughing

Touche. Yes, of course they will, I like that one, and would personally like to see more tournament adopt this system.

As for the stadium, thanks for that, and we will see what we can do about it closer to the time.

Spazz

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 21, 2006 - 08:00 PM

Canada
Would like to get some feedback here.

I am looking to book a space for the tourney and have narrowed it down toa couple of possibilities.

The first one is the same location that the Canadian Open will be at, so I guess once we all have a chance to see that one in a couple of weeks, we will be able give a more solid opinion on it.

The second one is in a recreation centre. The advantage of this one is that I will be able to obtain a liquor license for the room, should people be interested (yes Rod, I know your opinion already! Wink)

I guess my quesiton at this point is how many people would be interested enough in drinking while playing Blood Bowl to make it a priority?

PaulOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 21, 2006 - 10:10 PM

Canada
I like the liquor license idea, go with that one. I didn't read the rest of your post, cause that idea wins.

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 24, 2006 - 03:10 PM

Canada
Well it looks like the rec centre is right out. They refused to give me a daily rate and wanted to charge me $30 and change per hour for the room. No worries.

Inspired by Ben's location for the Canadian Open, I am actually looking at other hotel's in the Brampton area and am inquiring into their rooms. (Don't worry Paul, I will inquire about liquor licenses at these places too! Wink

BenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 24, 2006 - 03:21 PM

Canada
As there is a restuarant in the Hotel for the Canadian Open and i know when renting the rooms you can order food from there....maybe you can order alcohol aswell.

I will find out..

Ben

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 24, 2006 - 03:59 PM

Canada
      Ben wrote:
As there is a restuarant in the Hotel for the Canadian Open and i know when renting the rooms you can order food from there....maybe you can order alcohol aswell.

I asked and they did say something about the restaurant, couldn't really undertsand what he was saying, but may have said something about setting a bar in the room as well. I am going tomorrow to check the space out, will find out more.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic