NAF Logo
leftstar Apr 27, 2024 - 08:05 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
A knee in the groin is worth two in the face. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
SpazzfistOffline
Post subject: The Stunty Cup '06  PostPosted: Jan 29, 2006 - 05:02 PM

Canada
For those who are not in the know, The Stunty Cup is a very quick and dirty tournament that is run as part of the attraction for The Challenge of Q'ermitt tournament. The Stunty Cup is run on the Saturday night of the tournament, after the regular day of play.

As the name suggests the only races allowed into the Stunty Cup are the proper stunty teams (goblin, halfling or skink). No mutant gutter runners! Shocked

As the timing would suggest (Saturday night) the tournament is going to have to be very fast so that we can all get home to get a few hours of sleep before the tournament the next day! As such, the tournament will be first score wins for the first round, and then a DeathBowl 4-way round for the final four teams to determine the overall winner.

So what do we do if we have uneven numbers, etc? We make it up as we go along! Like I said, this is supposed to be a quick and fun tournament, and is not for any NAF rankings.

Last year's overall cup winner, Joe "Grell" Michaud managed to score the winning Deathbowl touchdown by picking up the ball with his pogo stick goblin, leaping over a blocking skink, dodging away and then "going for it " all four times to score. A moment to remember!

The teams this year will be bought with 600K, but please note there will be no big guys allowed. This is a tourney strictly for the little guys! Secret weapons for the gobbos will be bought as per the LRB 4.0 star player costs. FF will not need to be bought as there will be no kick off rolls. Instead, I am going to try out a suggestion made by Stunty Right Activist and professional bellyacher Karl Lagerbottom (Wink who loves ya baby!)

KarlLagerbottom wrote:
forgo the Kick Off all together, as it is in the final game, and set up a neutral zone where the the ball will be placed to start the game. The first player to move will still have something of an advantage, but they will not always start the game with the ball.

So there will be some variation of the above.

Any other ideas or thoughts are welcome, especially from those who played in it last year and had suggestions.

But remember, this is supposed to be a quick tourney! If the game is over fast, then it's a good thing!

Spazz

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

Reply with quote Back to top
KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 29, 2006 - 05:33 PM

Undisclosed
Spazz-
I think that is a deal that I can take back to my constituents at the Stunty Relief Fund Board of Directors. I think that I can guarantee that they find it amiable and will call off the Halfling Picket Lines that had promised to compromise the event. (Or to at least exhaust the stock of the Hot Dog Vendors. Smile )

-RobO

Seriously though...this gives the Flings, with their Master Chef, a shot at taking the prestigious Stunty Cup.

NAF Member #5236
---

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 29, 2006 - 06:33 PM

Canada
Well who knows, maybe we can have halflings swinging around big soup cauldrons (halfling fanatics!) Laughing

Spazz

PaulOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 29, 2006 - 08:03 PM

Canada
      Quote:
No mutant gutter runners!

Damn, well, I guess I might paint up some of those goblins I've got kicking around. This also gives me a reason to finish painting my pogo stick gobbo that I got all those years ago.

Clan_SkavenOffline
Post subject: Re: The Stunty Cup '06  PostPosted: Jan 29, 2006 - 10:39 PM

Niagara Falls ON, Canada
      Spazzfist wrote:
For those who are not in the know, The Stunty Cup is a very quick and dirty tournament that is run as part of the attraction for The Challenge of Q'ermitt tournament. The Stunty Cup is run on the Saturday night of the tournament, after the regular day of play.

As the name suggests the only races allowed into the Stunty Cup are the proper stunty teams (goblin, halfling or skink). No mutant gutter runners! Shocked

As the timing would suggest (Saturday night) the tournament is going to have to be very fast so that we can all get home to get a few hours of sleep before the tournament the next day! As such, the tournament will be first score wins for the first round, and then a DeathBowl 4-way round for the final four teams to determine the overall winner.

So what do we do if we have uneven numbers, etc? We make it up as we go along! Like I said, this is supposed to be a quick and fun tournament, and is not for any NAF rankings.

Last year's overall cup winner, Joe "Grell" Michaud managed to score the winning Deathbowl touchdown by picking up the ball with his pogo stick goblin, leaping over a blocking skink, dodging away and then "going for it " all four times to score. A moment to remember!

The teams this year will be bought with 600K, but please note there will be no big guys allowed. This is a tourney strictly for the little guys! Secret weapons for the gobbos will be bought as per the LRB 4.0 star player costs. FF will not need to be bought as there will be no kick off rolls. Instead, I am going to try out a suggestion made by Stunty Right Activist and professional bellyacher Karl Lagerbottom (Wink who loves ya baby!)

KarlLagerbottom wrote:
forgo the Kick Off all together, as it is in the final game, and set up a neutral zone where the the ball will be placed to start the game. The first player to move will still have something of an advantage, but they will not always start the game with the ball.

So there will be some variation of the above.

Any other ideas or thoughts are welcome, especially from those who played in it last year and had suggestions.

But remember, this is supposed to be a quick tourney! If the game is over fast, then it's a good thing!

Spazz

Since there is no "true" center square why not have both teams start off with a ball, or both teams ball starts on the center square of thier endzone.?

Rod.

Host of the Warpstone Cup, Q'ermitt Bowl & the Hope Bowl

Clan_SkavenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 29, 2006 - 10:42 PM

Niagara Falls ON, Canada
You gotta make it more than 600K (600K/60K=10) so a skink team could only start off with a max of 10 skinks & no RR's ? unless this will be BB7's?

Rod.

Host of the Warpstone Cup, Q'ermitt Bowl & the Hope Bowl

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject: Re: The Stunty Cup '06  PostPosted: Jan 30, 2006 - 06:26 AM

Canada
      Clan-Skaven wrote:
Since there is no "true" center square why not have both teams start off with a ball, or both teams ball starts on the center square of thier endzone.?

That would be an interesting suggestion. Keep it in mind - anyone else have thoughts on it? KL?

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 30, 2006 - 06:29 AM

Canada
      Clan-Skaven wrote:
You gotta make it more than 600K (600K/60K=10) so a skink team could only start off with a max of 10 skinks & no RR's ? unless this will be BB7's?

I will think about it some more, but that was kind of the point. Goblins will be even harder hit if they want to buy secret weapons. The point is, use the money and field what you got, if you have less players than the other team, then so be it. Like I said though, I have not done test simulations of teams, but this will give the 'flings an advantage where the gobs have the secret weapons and skinks have high movement. Again, open to suggestion.

But no, it was not to be BB7's. full sized field played to the first TD.

Spazz

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject: Re: The Stunty Cup '06  PostPosted: Jan 30, 2006 - 09:38 AM

Undisclosed
      Clan-Skaven wrote:

Rod.

To be honest, I'm not sure this would work...having the Skinks start with the ball would give them an automatic cage with the ball. This would give them a huge advantage. The Pogo stick gobbo could keep-up, but he'd be all alone. The Swarm Of Skinks would over-run the opposition. Smile

NAF Member #5236
---

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject: Re: The Stunty Cup '06  PostPosted: Jan 30, 2006 - 10:12 AM

Canada
      KarlLagerbottom wrote:
To be honest, I'm not sure this would work...having the Skinks start with the ball would give them an automatic cage with the ball. This would give them a huge advantage. The Pogo stick gobbo could keep-up, but he'd be all alone. The Swarm Of Skinks would over-run the opposition. Smile

But even in your suggestion of the ball in the "neutral zone" the skinks are going to be able to grab it before any other team. Unless you allow a couple of players around the ball and encourage some hitting to remove tackle zones on the ball....

EDIT - if you have two players from each team with tackle zones on the ball to begin with, then you have some tactical choices to make on how much you want to hit before getting the ball. Against halflings this could go very wrong as you may have no RR left due to the chef.

But this also goes to support what I was suggesting about the teams, in that a halfling team will be able to swarm the skinks or goblins with their superior numbers as they lack the speed or weapons, and thereby provide some kind of balance.

Spazz

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 30, 2006 - 10:35 AM

Undisclosed
The halflings really have no recourse but to hope that the other team fails a roll...there will be no swarming of anything, except for the post-game buffet, if the other team makes at least the critical rolls.

Also, I understand your point that the speed of the skinks will be an advantage regardless of where the ball is placed, but if you have to at least force them to move forward to the ball to grab it, there may be less of them to surround the ball/ball carrier....if you give them the ball in their own end zone that will:

a: Allow them to at minimum surround the ball, if not pick it up and cage it.
b: Play a "Clock Management Game" because it will take the halflings twice as long to get to the same spot.
c: Allow the skinks to isolate flings and batter them as they head toward the Skinks Zone.
d: Send in Skink forcheckers after the fling ball...they might actually reach the ball first. Smile

I don't know...I'm not keen on having the first score win, but the ball should at least begin in an area of contention.

Not having a center square should not be a worry...Death Bowl does not have a center square...just randomize which of the four center-squares it lands in.

-RobO

NAF Member #5236
---

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 30, 2006 - 11:05 AM

Canada
Rob - I think you just have to face facts and say that there is only so much to level playing field for the halflings. If they are slow and not dirty enough to take secret weapons then it is their own dman fault!

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 30, 2006 - 11:29 AM

Undisclosed
      Spazzfist wrote:
Rob - I think you just have to face facts and say that there is only so much to level playing field for the halflings. If they are slow and not dirty enough to take secret weapons then it is their own dman fault!

Thats cool, but you mightthen want to consider changing the name of the event to "The Skinky Cup" Smile

Part of the issue...and I fully realize that this is merely a side event that is supposed to add fun to the tourney...is that the Skinks were never designed to play on their own. The movement is something of an unbalancing factor.

To be honest...playing with 4 gutter runners might be fun if you allowed this roster. They are not that much faster than the skinks...and sure they have AG 4, but no stunty. If they make it to the finals...thats lots of TZs to contend with. Smile

-RobO

NAF Member #5236
---

PaulOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 30, 2006 - 11:44 AM

Canada
      Quote:
To be honest...playing with 4 gutter runners might be fun if you allowed this roster. They are not that much faster than the skinks...and sure they have AG 4, but no stunty. If they make it to the finals...thats lots of TZs to contend with. icon_smile.gif

Geze, we should change this to the Strength 2 Cup. Very Happy That would be fun to play with the 4 Gutters, although I'm sure numbers would probably overwhelm them.

Don't the original Goblin Tribal Leeg rules from one of the BB Magazines say taht you score 1 point for each player you put in the end zone at the end of the half? Maybe you could do it that way. Maybe throw in a bonus point or two if that player actually has the ball as well Smile

I'm seriously considering staying around for this. It sounds like it would be fun and gives me a reason to paint up those gobbos I've got.

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 30, 2006 - 12:25 PM

Canada
      Paul wrote:
Don't the original Goblin Tribal Leeg rules from one of the BB Magazines say taht you score 1 point for each player you put in the end zone at the end of the half? Maybe you could do it that way. Maybe throw in a bonus point or two if that player actually has the ball as well Smile

If there were all goblin teams then I would definitely do this - I would even give away the infamous bag of rats for a prize!

Paul wrote:
I'm seriously considering staying around for this. It sounds like it would be fun and gives me a reason to paint up those gobbos I've got.

I would highly reccommend it - last year's was a blast, and I am anticipating that this year will be even better! Paint man! Paint!

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic