NAF Logo
leftstar May 01, 2024 - 01:07 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Fractured Leg! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Old_Man_MonkeyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 05, 2006 - 12:38 PM

Undisclosed
I'll tell what I know or at least believe:

1) when I last was with Woody, he was waiting upon GW to decide upon the final date - most else regarding the permission to use of the facility (space, cafeteria, Bugmans, etc.) has been worked out (except for the final per head cost). Also being finalized are the other events that might be possible around a WC tourney - such as an open team tourney, open individual tourney, painting competition(s), or other BB variants (StreetBowl, BB7s, RatOgreBall, or DungeonBowl (PM me if you've never played any of these fun side games....)

2) A tourney hotel and negotiated rate is still being looked into, tho' most places of board want a large deposit and I am waiting for another month or so until it is hopefully clearer about format and numbers attending....

3) I have been upfront in how I view the ruleset - originally the LRB5 was not going to be offered until next spring (07), at which point I was concerned, as were others, about the filter time for coaches to know and understand these rules. However, with the rules now being officially announced, I am in support of the LRB5 being used (with PERHAPS some very slight mods to insure that dice events do not imbalance an individual game). I also had some concern that the NAF avoid, as much as possible, being seen as endorsing a particular ruleset, although to some extent that cannot be helped. I agree with Bevan's observation that the earlier the ruleset, TR and special tournament rules are announced, the less confusion there will be and the longer there will be to answer any questions.

The sole and complete objective is to make this a memorable and fun event and to demonstrate the NAF's ability to organize and administer a large scale event. I believe it is going to succeed wildly and I am tremendously excited though it is still more than 14 months away....

The staff has been busy trying to complete the TO kit and deliver at last a start to finish tournament organizers kit to be proud of.... I'm sure that once this is kicked off, all focus will turn to the World Cup.

Reply with quote Back to top
BevanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 05, 2006 - 02:57 PM

Old_Man_Monkey wrote:
... Also being finalized are the other events that might be possible around a WC tourney - such as an open team tourney, open individual tourney, painting competition(s), or other BB variants (StreetBowl, BB7s, RatOgreBall, or DungeonBowl ....

I'm glad to hear that something is happening, but the rest of us could keep our enthusiasm going if we get regular updates instead of saying nothing untill everything is finalised.

It would be useful to discuss some of these ideas before they get set in concrete so that we can at least have the belief that our opinions were taken into account, even if this isn't the case. Rolling Eyes

For example - will I be able to play BB7s as well as the team event? Are three Rat Ogres enough for RatOgreBall or do I need a whole team? Will I be able to survive more than two days straight of intense concentration? Do I need to totally rebuild my Skaven models to allow for the new mutation rules? Should I switch to Chaos and have an entire team of mutants? Twisted Evil Is there an LRB5 rule subset that even LRB4 diehards would agree is fun? Very Happy

BevanOffline
Post subject: Suggestions  PostPosted: Aug 05, 2006 - 08:02 PM

I previously suggested that it might be necessary to combine the team event with an individual event, due to problems with getting equal numbers from each country.

However, if there will be an individual event, then I wonder if we could have the best of both options.

Run the individual event over 3 days as usual, but avoiding coaches from the same country playing each other except in the final round. Coaches could take any race they preferred, whether or not other coaches from the same country had that race. (I can't see any way to have the individual event in less than 3 days unless we can all manage 4 games per day.)

Work out the best coach for each race from each country. Add up points for the best 6 races from each country to find the best 8 countries. These 8 countries would play a knockout or Swiss event on the 4th day. Limiting it to 8 ensures a winner in one day.

The number of coaches per country could be adjusted slighly by agreement depending on how many countries had a reasonable number of coaches.

This would allow the far flung outposts to send anyone who was eligible without being too concerned that if they only had 5 then none if them could play, since they would all get to play in the 3-day event. It would not force every coach from a given country to take a different race, if they accepted that only one of the duplicates could represent their country.

Those coaches not involved in the national teams event on the 4th day would play 7s, RatOgreBowl or whatever. I'm keen to try a 7s series so I wouldn't mind if Australia misses the cut. Rolling Eyes

Old_Man_MonkeyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 06, 2006 - 01:05 AM

Undisclosed
I've received several requests for rules to Rat Ogre Ball; here's what I have remembered and sent (if any of the authors care to comment or correct, please feel free...)

one fig each
start with ball at center or as close as possible
from the ball, count six squares away for each player (four to five coaches is best)
then just use RO stats and Big Guy rules to try and score in either end zone

special rules:
no assists
nothing greater than stun
out of bound is just a stun
number of rerolls is optional - two has been the most common with four or more players

roll for Initiative for each player after each round - if four players, then
Round I
Initiative roll: 6-5-4-3
six goes, then five, then four, then three
Round 2
Initiative roll: 4-3-3-2
four goes, the two coaches rolling threes roll off to see who goes next

A coach who was stunned will just use there next turn to move to prone, so it is not technically necessary for them to roll Initiative but easier sometimes to keep track of....

So a coach can make two successive moves if he was last then first, but with the RO's hard to make movement roll and and the need to blitz so often it gets crazy. It's always a one die block so anything can happen.
Give it a try...

Old_Man_MonkeyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 13, 2006 - 10:40 AM

Undisclosed
We can at last announce the following details for the first ever NAF World Cup.

The 2007 NAF World Cup will be held in the Warhammer World at the Games-Workshop World Headquarters in Nottingham, UK.

The dates for the THREE day event are October 19, 20, and 21 of October, 2007.

There will be a TEAM competition following similar guidelines as have been used for the 2006 Eurobowl competition, and an OPEN Individual tournament held concurrent with the team event. Still in discussion is an OPEN TEAM tournament for those who may wish to form multinational teams and compete against other such allied teams. Also in discussion is the possibility of conducting side tournaments for other Blood Bowl variants such as StreetBowl, BB7s, etc.

This year's Eurobowl winning nation will serve as honorary host to the event and will remain as the host for the 2008 Eurobowl.

We will be announcing special hotel and hostel rates for several hotels near to the event location - we had hoped to have this completed before the announcement, however the advertisement in this month's UK White Dwarf was unexpected, so we thought it best to distribute what firm information we had at this time.

Games-Workshop has DONATED the use of the Hall for this event; lunch and dinner will be included in the ticket price for the World Cup tournaments. We are just now meeting with the GW-Event Planning staff to determine menus and number of coaches; the tickets for this event will go on sale in the Spring/early Summer of 2007.

There will be a SPECIAL EDITION miniature given out EACH ROUND of EACH TOURNAMENT as well as many other special gifts and prizes.

There will be a coaches' meet and greet on the Thursday night before the tournament, opening and closing ceremonies with lots of fun and surprises in store, and lots of impromptu madness to boot.

This will be a complete celebration of the game we play and the friendships and good times that have come to be such an important part of a BloodBowl tournament. I personally thank all the membership for their patience and understanding as the World Cup has moved from possibility to fact. Now that we are confident of a venue, we will put much of the discussion of what to include and how to proceed in front of the membership to hear all possible views and consider the best way to proceed.

I encourage all members of the Blood Bowl community to rally and support this event - we have asked for, and been given, the opportunity to showcase our talents as organizers, players, and sportsmen. I expect nothing less than an outstanding weekend of fun and fellowship, surrounding a few hotly contested games of brilliant Blood Bowl.

Here's to seeing you in Nottingham next October!

Jim Lanier
NAF Treasurer

for

James Woods
NAF President

Last edited by Old_Man_Monkey on Nov 13, 2006 - 10:56 AM; edited 1 time in total

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 13, 2006 - 10:46 AM

Canada
I would LOVE to be able to go, but besides the obvious excuses of work and money, I would have a tough time justifying a trip across the pond for a Blood Bowl tournament to the wife! (Women...... Confused )

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

aerofoolOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 13, 2006 - 10:50 AM

United States
      Old_Man_Monkey wrote:
The dates for the THREE day event are October 19, 20, and 21 of October, 1007.

1007? I'm sure it was fun... wonder if anyone remembers that far back?

Truthfully, Oct 2007 is going to be well enough time to save money and vacation days for the trip. Thanks for being nice enough to give us the time to make our plans!

triplepow.com

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger  
Old_Man_MonkeyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 13, 2006 - 11:00 AM

Undisclosed
      aerofool wrote:
      Old_Man_Monkey wrote:
The dates for the THREE day event are October 19, 20, and 21 of October, 1007.

1007? I'm sure it was fun... wonder if anyone remembers that far back?

Truthfully, Oct 2007 is going to be well enough time to save money and vacation days for the trip. Thanks for being nice enough to give us the time to make our plans!

Thanks for the catch, Aero! Damn, I read that thing five times before submitting it...! Confused Truthfully we would have made the announcement a month or more ago but the GW-UK events guys forgot to tell someone that they had approved the event and were OK with our requirements! So I am hoping that the delay does not prevent any one or any team from coming - the USA will be there, rarin' to go!

BevanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 13, 2006 - 02:06 PM

I don't want to appear too grouchy about this great event Very Happy but considering the long time since it was first announced all we seem to have done is chop one day off the original plan.

It appears that we can't enter both the individual event and the team event. This may not matter much since at present there seems to be a severe lack of anyone interested from around here (down under). However, for those who do make a big trip of it, consecutive rather than concurrent events would have been good.

Can we have some more details real soon? How many needed for a team? Do they have to be different races? What rules, LRB 4 or 5? Any special rules about stars, weapons, inducements? Some people are a bit fussy about which rules they'll play under, particularly if a major trip is required.

aerofoolOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 13, 2006 - 03:25 PM

United States
      Spazzfist wrote:
I would LOVE to be able to go, but besides the obvious excuses of work and money, I would have a tough time justifying a trip across the pond for a Blood Bowl tournament to the wife! (Women...... Confused )

Buy your wife a team and teach her to play... That may solve it!

I taught my wife, now she plays a mean WE team!

She may let me go and want to go as well!

triplepow.com

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger  
LycosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 13, 2006 - 04:01 PM
Former President

Undisclosed
Some good questions Bevan. I am going to see the Prez in a few days and he is without internet (hence Jim's post on behalf) but very excited about the World cup. I will get these questions to him.

I can understand your point about the rule set but over here (UK and Europe) you may as well ask.... LRB4? Whats that? Save for a very few leagues we have moved to LRB5.

Old_Man_MonkeyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 13, 2006 - 04:34 PM

Undisclosed
Some of the staff are exploring the possibility of team members' results being counted in the individual competition. This may be present difficulties that cannot be reconciled but we will explore every avenue available.

I apologize also for not mentioning that the painting competition will be one of the most prestigious ever as we are anticipating a prize package worthy of the "Best Painted" award. If you re-read Cyberhare's original post, the original plan was to have the first day of four be for the meet and greet, painting, one-off games, etc. but that length of time was not available to us. However, should enough of the membership express a desire to add an 'opening day' to the festivities, we can explore contracting one of the hotel ball rooms for such a competition. This will mean at least an extra day of costs (food, accomodations, beer, etc.) should we do this, but we can do this if enough coaches indicate they are willing to participate.

Last edited by Old_Man_Monkey on Nov 13, 2006 - 07:26 PM; edited 1 time in total

BevanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 13, 2006 - 06:12 PM

Old_Man_Monkey wrote:
Some of the staff are exploring the possibility of team members' results being counted in the individual competition. This may be present difficulties that cannot be reconciled but we will explore every avenue available.

The events could be combined if the team event runs over the first two days only. This allows 6 matches, which should be enough to find a winner among the teams.

Meanwhile the individual event is running concurrently playing 6 games over the same 2 days. For the third day, all the team members count their wins and losses as though they have been in the individual event, to find their ranking at the start of day 3. The final 3 rounds on day 3 should be enough to sort out a world champion regardless of which group they started in. Everyone else will end up with a ranking in the individual list that is fairly close to the correct result.

If some teams have reserves these could swap in and out of the team, while the extra players continue in the individual event according to their ranking at the time.

This means that coaches from US, Canada and Australia (and other distant regions) can make plans to attend and it won't matter whether 1 or a dozen actually turn up on the day, everyone would get to play for 3 days, and if there are enough then some get to represent their country.

Old_Man_MonkeyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 13, 2006 - 07:25 PM

Undisclosed
The scenario you lay out Bevan is the most likely one, as the current Eurobowl schedule is over six games. An official national team should be declared however, not so much as to fulfill a quota for those nations who might have just enough, but to require representation from those nations who might have 10, 20, 40 or more to choose from.

TuernRedvenomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 14, 2006 - 02:28 AM

It would be whole lot easier to win the individual event if you're not playing for a team though as all the best of the best will be playing in the team event.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic