NAF Logo
leftstar May 11, 2024 - 10:57 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
The Goblin team is overpowered. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
LongshotOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 04, 2006 - 03:50 AM

if you re lacking experience on this kind of Tourney, check the eurobowl rules. we start to have some good feedback years after years

Reply with quote Back to top
GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 04, 2006 - 07:59 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Bevan wrote:

LRB4 or LRB5.
However, it seems unreasonable to have a world standard event and not use rules introduced more than 12 months previously. We can easily ban all inducements, cards, weapons, stars or whatever else upsets people.

My thoughts and of course they are biased ... acknowledged up front.

By the time the World Cup rolls around the LRB 5.0 will have been official for over 14 months. I don't see how it is reasonable to have the event with the LRB 4.0 rules even though I understand that CyberHare cannot stand them.

As for the extras in LRB 5.0. Easy enough to ban all the inducements other than the Master Chef for Halflings (which I think is important to have as an option for them). Since the price of most of the stars got jacked up as well if you wanted each low end race to have a fighting chance I personally would allow the stars as well as my experience is that the Stars only really show up on the Goblin, Ogre, and Halfling teams ... but that is a matter of taste. Personally I'd allow Star Player if the tournament was 100 TV ... not allow Stars (or only allow them for Goblin, Halfling, and Ogre teams) if it was 110 TV.

For the Chaos Cup (100 TV) we are allowing all inducements to be purchased as permanent part of the teams other than Special Play Cards. I'll make sure to report exactly what inducements I see at the Chaos Cup and my thoughts on how allowing them all worked.

And I agree that its unfortunately after a great head of steam that the discussion and planning of the event seems to have stalled.

By the way ... I really like Bevan's idea of allowing individual Swiss and not having the same country play each other and then taking the best 4 to 6 players scores as the team result. That's seems a great way to allow anyone who wants to attend to come without trying to force the 8 man squads.

Galak

CyberHare
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 04, 2006 - 08:51 AM

GalakStarscraper wrote:
By the time the World Cup rolls around the LRB 5.0 will have been official for over 14 months. I don't see how it is reasonable to have the event with the LRB 4.0 rules even though I understand that CyberHare cannot stand them.

My feelings about the 5.0 "rulebook" aside I'm not running this event anymore so don't pin any rule choices on me. A reason to use 4.0 though might be that some of us actually appreciate the fact that the tournament scene was built on 4.0, not 5.0! So perhaps we might want to give it one more "hurrah" before we send it packing.

Besides. 5.0 isn't even in the actual game. How can you "reasonably" run a global tournament with a rule book that isn't even close to the rule book that's available in the actual game?

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 04, 2006 - 09:27 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

CyberHare wrote:
Besides. 5.0 isn't even in the actual game. How can you "reasonably" run a global tournament with a rule book that isn't even close to the rule book that's available in the actual game?
okay serious.

If you use the rulebook in the boxed set the Elf, Ogre, Norse, Nurgle, Amazon, Lizardman, Khemri, Vampire, and Necromantic teams aren't even part of the rulebook. The Kick-off table is different. Wild Animal allows you to cause turnovers on your opponent. Take Root has the Treeman missing the whole first half.

There's more ... but the bottom line ... if you limited it to tournament play if you listed the differences from the rulebook in the box to LRB 4.0 and then to LRB 5.0 ... there would not be a great difference between the lists. Yes LRB 5.0 would have more ... not questioning that .... but the list for LRB 4.0 would be pretty long as well.

I'm just countering your argument here Brian that the LRB 4.0 is closer to the boxed set rulebook than the LRB 5.0 ... nothing more.

If LRB 5.0 very different from the boxed set ... definitely yes. Is the LRB 4.0 very different from the boxed set ... definitely yes as well.

Galak

MootazOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 04, 2006 - 09:34 AM

Undisclosed
      CyberHare wrote:
I'm not running this event anymore so don't pin any rule choices on me.

So who is running it currently?

CyberHare
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 04, 2006 - 09:38 AM

Bahh whatever. I'm on vacation in just over an hour so this can wait till I see you in Indy. Cool

I've updated the news on the world cup website and as soon as I get a chance I'll remove the timer.

CyberHare
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 04, 2006 - 09:41 AM

Mootaz wrote:
So who is running it currently?

If I could give you a straight answer I would. I'm not going to be able to be at the event so organizing the whole thing and then not showing up is pretty dumb Wink I let Woody know and he said he'd take the lead but that was just about the time he lost all access to the civilized world so I havn't spoken to him since. I know OMM has spoken to Woody since then and I believe Indigo has as well so maybe they have more info.

bampfOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 04, 2006 - 11:51 AM

Quote:

Bahh whatever.

Another well thought out and well reasoned anti-LRB 5 argument from CyberHare... It s like he has a never-ending supply of them.

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 04, 2006 - 11:54 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

bampf wrote:
      Quote:

Bahh whatever.

Another well thought out and well reasoned anti-LRB 5 argument from CyberHare... It s like he has a never-ending supply of them.
Now come on that is just pure trolling bampf. I know folks are still sore over the process of LRB 5.0 ... but I'm hoping that now that the "damage" is done ... we could stop having all the knockabouts.

Galak

bampfOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 04, 2006 - 12:46 PM

Yeah, it was trolling. Call it a moment of weakness. Sometimes ya just can t help yourself...

ChunkyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 04, 2006 - 08:23 PM

Well if the tourney may change to LRB5 thats another reason things need to get sorted out pretty quickly.

If its LRB5 team Oceania will be in need of a new captain.

http://eucalyptus-bowl.doubleskulls.net/

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
PaulOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 04, 2006 - 11:13 PM

Canada
are people that offended by LRB 5 that they won't go to a tournament with it as the rules?

Its about playing the games, meeting new people and having fun. Lets just set up the games, roll a die to see who wins then have a beer or two.

BevanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 05, 2006 - 01:59 AM

Paul wrote:
are people that offended by LRB 5 that they won't go to a tournament with it as the rules?

Its about playing the games, meeting new people and having fun. Lets just set up the games, roll a die to see who wins then have a beer or two.

If you are planning to travel halfway round the world (as in Chunky's case) then you want to be sure that you'll enjoy the games as well as meet new people, etc. Very Happy

I'm not sure if there are major problems for tournament play, but if your local league stays with LRB4 then you may not get any practice with the team and skill changes.

I'm keen to sort out the rule set as soon as possible, because some of them make a significant difference. For example, If we have LRB5 and TV100 then I won't be able to use a Rat Ogre. They are totally unreliable, Rolling Eyes so that isn't a major problem, but I may have to change my playing style a bit. Sad

ChunkyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 05, 2006 - 06:31 AM

Yes I am that offended - that whole fun thing doesn't happen for me with LRB5. Once that happens I'd just as soon do it playing WHFB - there are plenty players of that I'd like to meet overseas as well as BB.

http://eucalyptus-bowl.doubleskulls.net/

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 05, 2006 - 08:24 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Just to be clear ... I have zero issue if it is an LRB 4.0 event. Every tournament sets its own rules. I was just agreeing that 14 months out it might seem unusual ... but since folks are trying to talk other folks into flying in from around the world ... if the old ruleset is used so that folks can play teams from what they already know ... that makes sense as well.

Galak

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic