NAF Logo
leftstar Mar 28, 2024 - 08:25 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
It's like chess only... different. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
DeathwingOffline
Post subject: Announcing the NAF World Cup!  PostPosted: Feb 13, 2006 - 12:08 PM
Former President

England
Following on from the success of the Eurobowl and the interest shown in the forthcoming North American team event, the NAF are pleased to announce the inaugural NAF World Cup. Most of the details are yet to be finalised, but the projected date and host country are October of 2007 in the UK. This will be a national team event (with a secondary tournament held alongside for those who wish to attend but may not be in their national team). More details to follow over the coming months as we move things forward.

Brian St. James (Cyberhare) and David Candlish (Indigo) have been working hard behind the scenes laying the groundwork for this event, they are the guys who will continue to head up this project and see it through. I'd like to thank them both for their efforts so far, and I'm sure that with the support of the staff and the membership this exciting prospect will be a huge success!

Last edited by Deathwing on Jan 08, 2007 - 10:51 AM; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
CyberHare
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 13, 2006 - 03:51 PM

Thanks Woody.

Yes ladies and gents it's true. In October of 2007 the NAF will hold the first NAF World Cup event and it's going to be huge. Over the coming weeks and months we'll be releasing details and filling you all in on the specifics of the event as they become confirmed but here's what I can tell you all for certain right here and now. Mark off your calendars and save up those pennies because if you miss this one you'll have to wait until 2011 to experience an event like this again!

The event will be held over a 4 day period. The first day will be a day of seminars, orientation, one off games, painting competitions, meeting old friends & making new ones. The next three days will see some of the best blood bowl that the world has ever seen. The UK, the birthplace of Blood Bowl, has been chosen as the host nation for these inaugural games. For three days in March teams from across the globe will descend on the UK to decide who will hold the national title of NAF World Cup Champions for the next 4 years. Heaven help us if it's Spain because we'll never hear the end of it Wink Laughing

The tournament itself will consist of 2 parts or rather 2 events running at the same time. The central event will be the World Cup and will consist of 9 games, 3 games per day. Three days and nights of Blood Bowl mayhem will mean this event will be as much about stamina and the ability to hold ones ale as it is about skill on the pitch. Blowing chunks on your opponents team will have to be some kind of red card penalty Smile

The second part of the tournament will be an open tournament event. Coaches will be able to arrange one off games against opponents of their choosing using virtually any set of rules agreed upon by both coaches. You both want to smash it up with TR300 rosters? Go for it. Want to try a round of Death Bowl. Bring your own board! 7's or StreetBall, again bring your own board. This will be the first NAF sanctioned open gaming event and all games will count towards your NAF ranking!

At the center of this Blood Bowl mayhem for the next year will be the official world cup web site www.nafworldcup.com. No it's not completed at the moment. You can visit it but it's still under construction. It's hoped the site will be completed in the near future. The plan is to test the site by running it through the North American Team event to work out the bugs before opening it up full steam for the World Cup. To that end if anyone is interested in helping out with the web site we're looking for people who can program in PHP and people to do the graphics. If you are interested in helping out PM me here and we'll put you to work. The pay stinks and the hours are long but the fringe benefits are... well ok there are no fringe benefits either but we'll appreciate the help Smile

As for the national teams and how they will be formed that is still as yet to be 100% determined. When that information becomes available your local NTO will start putting out the word as to what needs to be done in your area to get yourself on your national team. Don't start PMing them now because this is the first they're hearing about this as well.

That's about it for now. Questions - Comments -Discussion.... all are welcomed.

PaulOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 13, 2006 - 05:02 PM

Canada
This sounds really interesting. I just put a buck in a jar to help pay my way. Nice website too, unfortuantly I have no time right now to help out.

Just to clear something up, the one-off tournament is for people not playing for their country? Or can anyone play in that (assumeing you've got time to play between rounds, in the evening etc)

Thanks

AnthonyTBBFOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 13, 2006 - 05:21 PM

Toronto, ON
I think I might have to get back to the UK for this one.

Just one thing - it's not too close to the BB is it?

Orion Cup - June 8, 2013

CyberHare
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 13, 2006 - 05:23 PM

Anyone will be allowed to play in the one-off tournament but as you said, coaches on National Teams will need to find the time to play in the other event. Extending the One-Off tournament into the evening might be a good idea.

CyberHare
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 13, 2006 - 05:27 PM

AnthonyTBBF wrote:
Just one thing - it's not too close to the BB is it?

The tournament schedule is so full now that no matter when we were to put this event it would step on someones toes. We picked a time that was best for the World Cup. They've been holding the BB in May. The World Cup will be in early March. Not a whole heck of a lot of time in between but not the week after either.

AnthonyTBBFOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 13, 2006 - 08:40 PM

Toronto, ON
Ah that's not bad at all, I had it in my head that it was March.

Orion Cup - June 8, 2013

XtremeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 13, 2006 - 08:45 PM
Da Boss

United States of America
Sounds like a good time and I have no reason not to make this my first trip across the pond.

I'll offer whatever help I'm qualified to do.

Turin
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 13, 2006 - 11:25 PM

Sounds very interesting, I hope I'm gonna have the time to show up with our guys there, but we will see.

juergenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 13, 2006 - 11:46 PM
Mekboy

Undisclosed

great idea!!!

AramilOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 14, 2006 - 02:18 PM

Undisclosed
Italy is definately interested! Very Happy

I'm also personally interested in helping the organization... I'm not a PHP programmer but I'm not bad doing graphics (not drawings!).

Talking about the date, I think that helding it in the EuroBowl period will be good (obviously suspending the EuroBowl that year). Not everybody can afford many trips abroad, so having a World Cup AND the EuroBowl (or the North America Cup) in the same year may be a cost too high...

TojurubOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 14, 2006 - 03:09 PM

Germany
...and please have it in close vicinity to London....please not Nottingham Wink

2nd place Royal RumBBL 2015 and White Star Cup 2016
.....and now Ex-Vize-Prez

CyberHare
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 14, 2006 - 05:01 PM

Tojurub wrote:
...and please have it in close vicinity to London....please not Nottingham Wink

Actually at the moment the venue we're securing for the event is Warhammer World. That's not written in stone yet but it's a fairly done deal. Is there some issue with Nottingham I should know about?

juergenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 15, 2006 - 12:27 AM
Mekboy

Undisclosed

well the warhammer world looks nice, but honestly I hate the tables and chairs there - it's very uncomfortable. Maybe they changed something in 2005 but in 2003 and 2004 it sucked. Sitting back to back to the other coaches and having to do a 1000 leaps just to get out.

I admit I weight more then the average person and thats maybe my private dilemma, but when I can't even get me feet under the table and have to sit sideways or play standing....that sucks.

More spaces between the tables, and some bricks under the table to get them higher (and no commedian) and at least I am perfect Smile

Roller
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 15, 2006 - 05:47 AM

Italy
      CyberHare wrote:
As for the national teams and how they will be formed that is still as yet to be 100% determined. When that information becomes available your local NTO will start putting out the word as to what needs to be done in your area to get yourself on your national team.

Great Idea!!!! Italy'll be there!!!! Laughing Laughing

In Italy the Fibb (Italian BB Federation) used an italian ranking, based on the outcome of the last year of official FIBB-tournament, to form the italian team for eurobowl05.
This gave no reason to dispute, and seemed to select the best 8 italian coach... and they won!!!
This year we choose to use the same system with small corrections for euro06 (only the best 5 tournament-outcome will give point for the ranking).
I hope the NAF will choose one system like this, based on the NAF tournament, to give to all NAF coaches the possibility to take part to the event with the rispective national team.
Idea There are some small countries with few NAF coaches, i suggest to form one mixed team for theme.

March is very good and euro 06 and euro 07 are 6 months separated from the NAF World Cup!!!

I hope to be there as member of the italian team! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic