NAF Logo
leftstar Apr 28, 2024 - 07:39 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
The few. The proud. The three on the line. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
PaulOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 02, 2006 - 01:24 PM

Canada
Geze, like the DC team has anything to complain about Smile

2 Hours should be plenty of time to play a game. In a few rare cases I've had games go longer than that. Usually there is an hour break scheduled between each round, so if the players understand that they are eating into their break if they play longer than the 2 hours, I say let em finish.

I do appreciate that the Sunday games were stopped on time though. I didn't get home until about 1:30 am. If games were allowed to go on an extra half hour on the sunday, thats anohter hour (or more of you're playing a 6 round tournament)

Reply with quote Back to top
Clan_SkavenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 02, 2006 - 01:42 PM

Niagara Falls ON, Canada
As I stated before, if your going to take longer than 4 mins evary turn then I suggest in your home league or with your friends you should strt to practice with the timer!

If you don't want to use the timer or even with the timer you still take longer than 4 mins. (IMO) you should't be attending tourneys. It is because of slow players that people get screwed out of games & bad moods are created ect ect.

I'm not trying to come across as negative, but if you want to solve this problem its simple!

1) 'Slow players' learn to speed up for tourney play
2) 'Slow players' if you can't speed up or refuse to try, then don't bother showing up!

Rod.

(I know I'm gonna get alot of slack for this, buts just cause u know I'm right Laughing )

Host of the Warpstone Cup, Q'ermitt Bowl & the Hope Bowl

MightyQOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 02, 2006 - 01:52 PM

KarlLagerbottom wrote:
The tourney that MightyQ is talking about is this past weekend's New World Cup. The games on Day 2 were started early and were done on a strict 2-hour time limit to facilitate the tourney ending early enough to get the Canadians on the road so they could get home at a somewhat decent time.

That said...I sincerely beleive that the outcome of the tourney was effected by the sheer amount of games that were ended early. The DC Team is very good and they have a very competitive local league, but the Champs were decided by a tie-breaker when final round games still had turns to play.

I also would not want to turn people away from travelling to tournies, but there are two sides to the coin. If people don't want to travel to play 5 complete games in a reasonable amount of time...then maybe they should stay home.

The point of the tourney is not really to determine a winner...it's to create a more meaningful reason to play the game. PLAYING the game being paramount...lets just play at a pace where there can be a balance between keeping a schedule and enjoying the games.

My two cents...

Well there were a few other things about the tournament that i felt was totally wrong but wont get into as I am still kind of worked up about it...

The tie breaker is one... On Saturday, he mentioned that the wins/loses would determine seedings for the playoff rounds, making a comment, joking or not, he said you can throw games if you want to play a certain team in the first round...

Sunday he then says totals from saturday which determined the seedings, was the tie breakers Sad

Tie breakers should have been announce and determined before playing... A good tie breaker could have been the point totals from the games that we were using... Because having 2 teams tied 2/2/2 and one winning based on the previous days win/loses was sad, then in the championship both teams tied 2/2/2 and DC got the tie breaker because of their wins on Saturday...

I found out after round 3 that he had my game totals in wrong, I was 2-1 with 150 points, he had me in at 1-2 with 100, some how game 2 was recorded wrong which could have meant I might have played a lower point team in round three then I should have because he had me at 40 points total, when I was at 90...

Also too me there was no real World Cup winner, when the Canadiens got split up and with all the ties...

We also we scedule for 3 rounds with breaks from 10-6 on Sunday, we started an hour ealier, breaks were cut in half and one less round was played, how much time did they want to save ???

Clan_SkavenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 02, 2006 - 02:40 PM

Niagara Falls ON, Canada
Anyone who doesn't give thier all to win (purposely throws a game to play a lesser opponent next round) IMO is a sad gaming idavidual. Succeeding is that important that you would perposly throw a game to get an easier playoff seed next round?

If so GIMME A BREAK!

I'm almost glad I didn't attend the tourney now if there was this kind of crying going on.

Rod

MightyQOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 02, 2006 - 02:45 PM

Clan-Skaven wrote:
Anyone who doesn't give thier all to win (purposely throws a game to play a lesser opponent next round) IMO is a sad gaming idavidual. Succeeding is that important that you would perposly throw a game to get an easier playoff seed next round?

If so GIMME A BREAK!

I'm almost glad I didn't attend the tourney now if there was this kind of crying going on.

Rod

As far as I know everyone gave their all... And I dont think anyone threw their games on purpose... The statement was made by the organizer, most likely in a joking mannor... The fact he made that comment and then used the game totals from Saturday as tie breakers I felt was wrong...

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 02, 2006 - 03:04 PM

Undisclosed
      gken1 wrote:
      KarlLagerbottom wrote:
The DC Team is very good and they have a very competitive local league, but the Champs were decided by a tie-breaker when final round games still had turns to play.

I think the championship games shoulda been allowed to play into the breaks, just like the previous day.

but the DC team finished all their games but two (both by the canadian) and it looked like he shoulda won one if allowed to goto full time and the other one looked like a solid tie.

Actually...my game with JB had two turns left...the ball was on the ground...and he had 5 WEs left. Besides the fact...I think both of us are pretty deliberate players and our first half was a long one, but the portion of the 2nd half that we did play was rushed.

Oh well...again I'm not saying that we would have won, but I am saying that we couldhave won. I tie that up by some desperate Gutter Magic, and that breaks the tie in the round...

NAF Member #5236
---

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 02, 2006 - 03:21 PM

Undisclosed
      MightyQ wrote:
We also we scedule for 3 rounds with breaks from 10-6 on Sunday, we started an hour ealier, breaks were cut in half and one less round was played, how much time did they want to save ???

BTW...we were also scheduled to start at 11 AM on Saturday and did not start Game 1 until nearly 12:30. Sure there were extenuating circumstances and Brian had to make some "Executive Decisions" on the fly...but before anyone (ROD) starts to make hard line statements like "Play fast or stay home"...maybe all of the facts should be gathered.

Also, anyone who had planned on making this event...and then had to pull out for more important reasons (Because again...this is just afterall a game.) maybe those folks should realize that had they shown-up...the tourney could have started on time...there would have been Canadian representation...perhaps all of the games would have been completed...and perhaps the controversy over the format of the tourney would hae been a non-point.

EDIT:Funny...looking at this post from Feb 26...you might think that someone had an idea that tiebreakers could be an issue.

http://www.bloodbowl.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=2863&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=105

KarlLagerbottom wrote:
Brian-
Quick question...how do you plan on resolving ties in the standings? What is the oreder of the tie breakers? (Assuming that there are multiple tiebreakers.)

-Rob

NAF Member #5236
---

MightyQOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 02, 2006 - 03:29 PM

Clan-Skaven wrote:

Rod

What team would you have been on ???

Hoshi_KomiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 02, 2006 - 03:45 PM

United States of America
      KarlLagerbottom wrote:

Actually...my game with JB had two turns left...the ball was on the ground...and he had 5 WEs left. Besides the fact...I think both of us are pretty deliberate players and our first half was a long one, but the portion of the 2nd half that we did play was rushed.

Oh well...again I'm not saying that we would have won, but I am saying that we couldhave won. I tie that up by some desperate Gutter Magic, and that breaks the tie in the round...

true, but all he had to do to win was pick up the ball with a sure hands player with the other elves surrounding him. I don't think you coulda pulled that off.

Clan_SkavenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 02, 2006 - 03:57 PM

Niagara Falls ON, Canada
      MightyQ wrote:
      Clan-Skaven wrote:

Rod

What team would you have been on ???

I would have been with team Canada but due to lay from work it was not possible.

Rod.

jware30Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 02, 2006 - 04:09 PM

Clan-Skaven wrote:

Rod

There wasn't.

Yes, some issues remain to be worked out with the team format, but is anyone surprised? Has this been done before?

I am sorry the Canadians were split up (Hell I'm broken up over it, especially as we-Team New England- got Paul, who went 0-0-5 Very Happy )

I think my first game went into the break, my fault, first tournament game in a couple of years and I was nervous and frazzled.
And my last game finished on with 5 minutes to spare, but I did have to prompt my opponent to speed up a little.

But had a blast and looking forward to bring a full NY team next time.

Are we doing this yearly?

PaulOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 02, 2006 - 04:15 PM

Canada
Its just a tournament. The tie breaker format worked, DC should get some sort of credit for their performance on day one. They couldn't get any home-ice advantage in the game, so letting them advance if they were tied in the individual games in the semi-final/fimal rounds is fair with me. They were clearly the best team there (after Canada was split up) and they should have won.

For the next event, hopefully we can get enough teams out there so we don't have to worry about ties. Ideally, we would have had 6 teams of 5 there, each team plays every other team (giving you 5 rounds) the team with the most points after those five rounds is the winner.

Rod would have been a great addition to Team Canada too. I would have been playing Dwarfs then cause he can't play anything but Skaven (he doesn't really have any skills as a blood bowl coach to try anything new and be successful) and I would have done way better against all those Chaos Dwarfs, Orcs and Norse I played.

PaulOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 02, 2006 - 04:19 PM

Canada
      jware30 wrote:

I am sorry the Canadians were split up (Hell I'm broken up over it, especially as we-Team New England- got Paul, who went 0-0-5 Very Happy )

yea, cause the rest of Team New England was spectacular there Rolling Eyes Smile

Quote:

Are we doing this yearly?

I think thats the plan, with the location moving. With the World Cup next year though we might want to look into holding off on it for a year so the people to travel can worry about putting all their finances towards that one tournament. That being said, with only 8 people on each National Team there will be lots of people who will not be going and will have a chance to play in the New World Cup. I guess its something to be discussed by the orginizing committe. (Its always fun to see Brian talk to himslef in those meetings Smile)

Last edited by Paul on May 02, 2006 - 09:06 PM; edited 1 time in total

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 02, 2006 - 08:07 PM

Undisclosed
      gken1 wrote:
      KarlLagerbottom wrote:

true, but all he had to do to win was pick up the ball with a sure hands player with the other elves surrounding him. I don't think you coulda pulled that off.

Nope...that's definately true...it was going to be tough, but I would have loved to have those two turns to see if the Gutter Runners could pull it off. Smile

Besides, if there was a double 1 in there somewhere for the elves...then the situation could have been drastically different than what you describe...the ball might have even still been on the ground. Smile

TBH...I mentioned that more in support of my Philadelphia teammate than to suggest that we would have won. Given that Cam was our Canadian Import for the tourney and he took a couple of bullets for us...I'm not sure what our record would have looked like if all went as originally planned. Smile

EDIT: I also want to go on the record as saying that the tourney was a blast. I had a lot of fun, and love the format. Unfortunately Brian was thrown a curve when the surplus players didn't make it to round-out the teams...however, he did a great job in keeping the event smoothly run and enjoyable.

Watch out for Team Philadelphia next time!

NAF Member #5236
---

garthOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 02, 2006 - 08:18 PM

Clan-Skaven wrote:
"Do I block or.... Hmmmm, no I'll.... hmm.... , um wait whats this guys Strength? Ok I'll block, but wait, no 1st um.... , Ok ok I know this 1st....... DING! damn 4 mins. already, that was quick I'm not done yet , I need more time!"

Hmmm, sounds like me... 'cause I'm dumb... Confused

Clan-Skaven wrote:
If you can not get most of your turns done in under 4 mins. maybe BloodBowl is not your game. (Maybe you should pick up 'tiddley winks' instead!

Now that's not nice.

"Ohhhh, what I'm gonna do to you...." Ren Hoek

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic