NAF Logo
leftstar Apr 27, 2024 - 10:35 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
The Chaos team is overpowered. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Hoshi_KomiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 02, 2006 - 08:25 PM

United States of America
I actually had a player go take a DUMP during a game that got called for time...he was a real poor sport and purposely took more time when it got close so that I didn't have a chance to pull the winning score...THIS WAS AT GENCON!

Reply with quote Back to top
Clan_SkavenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 03, 2006 - 01:28 AM

Niagara Falls ON, Canada
      garth wrote:
      Clan-Skaven wrote:
"Do I block or.... Hmmmm, no I'll.... hmm.... , um wait whats this guys Strength? Ok I'll block, but wait, no 1st um.... , Ok ok I know this 1st....... DING! damn 4 mins. already, that was quick I'm not done yet , I need more time!"

Hmmm, sounds like me... 'cause I'm dumb... Confused

Clan-Skaven wrote:
If you can not get most of your turns done in under 4 mins. maybe BloodBowl is not your game. (Maybe you should pick up 'tiddley winks' instead!

Now that's not nice.

I play RATS you expect me to be nice!? Wink

I'm talking tourney play, take as long as you want outside tournies just as long as I'm not the opponent... Rolling Eyes

Rod

Host of the Warpstone Cup, Q'ermitt Bowl & the Hope Bowl

Clan_SkavenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 03, 2006 - 01:30 AM

Niagara Falls ON, Canada
      Paul wrote:
Its just a tournament. The tie breaker format worked, DC should get some sort of credit for their performance on day one. They couldn't get any home-ice advantage in the game, so letting them advance if they were tied in the individual games in the semi-final/fimal rounds is fair with me. They were clearly the best team there (after Canada was split up) and they should have won.

For the next event, hopefully we can get enough teams out there so we don't have to worry about ties. Ideally, we would have had 6 teams of 5 there, each team plays every other team (giving you 5 rounds) the team with the most points after those five rounds is the winner.

Rod would have been a great addition to Team Canada too. I would have been playing Dwarfs then cause he can't play anything but Skaven (he doesn't really have any skills as a blood bowl coach to try anything new and be successful) and I would have done way better against all those Chaos Dwarfs, Orcs and Norse I played.

Apparently you don't have any skill to try anything new as well mr 0-5!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Rod.

Clan_SkavenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 03, 2006 - 01:32 AM

Niagara Falls ON, Canada
      garth wrote:
      Clan-Skaven wrote:
"Do I block or.... Hmmmm, no I'll.... hmm.... , um wait whats this guys Strength? Ok I'll block, but wait, no 1st um.... , Ok ok I know this 1st....... DING! damn 4 mins. already, that was quick I'm not done yet , I need more time!"

Hmmm, sounds like me... 'cause I'm dumb... Confused

Clan-Skaven wrote:
If you can not get most of your turns done in under 4 mins. maybe BloodBowl is not your game. (Maybe you should pick up 'tiddley winks' instead!

Now that's not nice.

Garth your not dumb! how can you be dumb your a school teacher for heck sake!

Do we need a round of KOOM BI AH here Garth? Need a hug buddy? Wink

Rod

CyberHare
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 03, 2006 - 05:30 AM

Apologies to all if the format this past weekend was a little up in the air. Things had to be changed on the fly and a few casualties were expected. This was in all respects a learning experience for everyone involved and I know that I'm glad to have had the chance to run a team event before jumping straight into the World Cup. There are certainly differences in the formats that need specific attention. Not the least of which is what happens if all the teams don't show up.

Clan_SkavenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 03, 2006 - 10:45 AM

Niagara Falls ON, Canada
      CyberHare wrote:
Apologies to all if the format this past weekend was a little up in the air. Things had to be changed on the fly and a few casualties were expected. This was in all respects a learning experience for everyone involved and I know that I'm glad to have had the chance to run a team event before jumping straight into the World Cup. There are certainly differences in the formats that need specific attention. Not the least of which is what happens if all the teams don't show up.

Nah no need to appauligise, its sounds like u did a great job fixing a last minute problem, my comlaint is from what was sounding like people crying about tie breaker rules & slow players thinkin tournies shouldn't have time restraints Rolling Eyes

(now had they cried about scoring rules, I woulda joined em...... Don't get me started on 2005 DB when I was the best record of my table with2-2-2 & finnished 4th behind three people at 2-1-3, or 'no offence Paul, but 0-5 should always be behind any other outcome of 5 games , 0-1-4, 1-0-4 ect ect) ..... but thats a whole other jar of squiggs! Shocked

Rod

Clan_SkavenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 03, 2006 - 10:55 AM

Niagara Falls ON, Canada
      gken1 wrote:
I actually had a player go take a DUMP during a game that got called for time...he was a real poor sport and purposely took more time when it got close so that I didn't have a chance to pull the winning score...THIS WAS AT GENCON!

My opponent at GENCON was the guy placing out like 9 dice on the board for each possible destination his players could go ( do that for all 11 players) then he takes a phone call in the middle of his turn (bad enuff if it was my turn) but no game gets held up for the call. Then by the time we reach halftime theres people starting to pack up & the time warnings are being issued, so being behind I start playing very fast now not to get ripped off from time & make costly rushed errors. We just made it to the final time slot, but would I want to play this guy in tourney play again? (hmmm, you again umm , anywhere I can get a root canal?)

(oh the other thing this guy had no idea what "Pitch Invasion" meant! Confused Shocked Rolling Eyes.....

If you don't know the rules thats another reasson to stay at home, till you do.) "Whats Pitch Invasion mean?...."

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Rod.

SolarFlareOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 03, 2006 - 11:59 AM

As a deliberate player myself (or Xtreme would say SLOOOOW), I make it a goal to finish all of my turns and games quickly when I go to a tourney. It really is not fair to my opponents if they do not get their chances (i.e., turns). (At my last 3 tourneys, I have finished every turn of every game.)

On a separate note, players need to be willing to finish their games when they are getting creamed. Most tournaments have separate prizes for most casualties and most touchdowns. If I'm getting pounded, I tell my opponent to go for as many TDs or CAS as he can get. I don't make it easier for him on purpose, but I'm going to give him the opportunity (i.e., turns) to run up the score.

Clan-Skaven wrote:

If you don't know the rules thats another reasson to stay at home, till you do.

On the other hand, I would rather a player come out to a tourney (especially if he has no one else to play against) even if they are still learning the game. Yeah, it might not make for the most fascinating game for me at that moment, but it will hopefully get them playing and build the community. Now if a player hasn't learned what this "block" thing is all about, then that's another matter. But not knowing a kickoff result is hardly reason to stay home, imo.

MightyQOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 03, 2006 - 12:09 PM

Clan-Skaven wrote:
      gken1 wrote:

My opponent at GENCON was the guy placing out like 9 dice on the board for each possible destination his players could go ( do that for all 11 players) then he takes a phone call in the middle of his turn (bad enuff if it was my turn) but no game gets held up for the call. Then by the time we reach halftime theres people starting to pack up & the time warnings are being issued, so being behind I start playing very fast now not to get ripped off from time & make costly rushed errors. We just made it to the final time slot, but would I want to play this guy in tourney play again? (hmmm, you again umm , anywhere I can get a root canal?)

(oh the other thing this guy had no idea what "Pitch Invasion" meant! Confused Shocked Rolling Eyes.....

If you don't know the rules thats another reasson to stay at home, till you do.) "Whats Pitch Invasion mean?...."

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Rod.

I understand now, only your complaints matter, not anyone else's Smile

On your comment abour Pitch Invasion, I have been playing Blood Bowl When 3rd Edition was released... Played online on OLBBL.COM (500+ games), was a commissioner there also and just started recently playing LRB and on fumbbl (140+ games)... I have been to 3 naf tournaments, playing on fumbbl to learn the rule differences going from 3rd to lrb... I had to stop playing on OLBBL because of the difference in the rules... And going to the tournaments recently found out the little quirks with fumbbl's client that is different from the rules...

Even at the tournament people had the lrb rule book open mainly to the kickoff table as we all dont know it by heart like you do Smile

I have a printed copy of Living rule book 4, but mine seems to be missing a few things... Didnt know kick skill was optional... Never played anyone in lrb that had Break Tackle yet until the tournament, didnt know u got to roll 1st then decide if u wanted to use it or not... Seeing things for the first time, learning from the game your in, also takes so time when you ask the people to explain...

I think things might go a bit faster if teams weren't given skills between rounds and just played with the base rookie team against everyone... Because alot of it is visual and wouldnt have to ask each and every time who has what before doing your actions...

Jonny_POffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 11, 2006 - 01:21 PM

United States of America
Why not 2 hour games and allow players to finish in their break to reach the end of 2nd half. As long as that game doenst take the whole break. If it does, the T.O. should just call it as he sees fit.

Final game should be played with Overtime as long as it takes.

If you feel your opponent is stalling tell the T.O.

If your opponent doesn't know the rules then he shouldn't be there. New players are encourages, but a tournament should NOT be their first game. Maybe 4th or 5th game where they may not be experts but they undersand the game mechanics at least. Taking phone calls (emergency only should be allowed) or taking a dump during a game is not good sportsmanship. Just hold it til break or put a cork in it!

2 hours is fine as long as you dont BS the whole time. A quick lookup of the rules does not take a long time too. I have never had a problem and I'm not the quickest player.

I've been playing this game for years and I still have to look at the kickoff results.....who cares it takes 3 seconds?!?!?

Just my opinions...

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 11, 2006 - 09:46 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

jpeletis wrote:
Why not 2 hour games and allow players to finish in their break to reach the end of 2nd half.
As someone who has run tournaments ... I'll tell you the answer is that it really screws with the entry of the results and figuring out the next round.

When I sit down to enter results ... I want all the games right there ... not be missing one think I have all the match-ups figured out and then discover that Joe and Bobby just finished their game ... no thanks.

I'm a fast player ... but I don't mind playing slower players as long as between us we average the time limit.

My favorite time story is when I played NAF's 1st president John Lewis at the Underworld. He kept looking at the game next to us and telling me that I was playing too slow and that I needed to play faster ... this continued the whole game. We managed to finish at about the same time as the game next to us. We got up from the table and noticed that everyone else was just starting the 2nd half. The game next to us had had a 6 turn riot. Laughing

I really would love to go back and play that game over ... I couldn't easily tell John's Gutter Runners from his other players as he used 2nd edition Skaven (base ring colours highly recommended when all your figs look the same). And because of the speed we were playing I made a critical error blitzing his ball carrier that was ST 3 and not an ST 2 Gutter Runner like I thought .. this meant 2 dice his favour when I could have run up a friend for an assist for a one dice block ... this would end up giving John the TD he needed to win.

I tell this story for the simple reason that no matter the opponent I've faced I've not found an issue with time and the one time in a tournament I tried to play fast ... I really screwed up. So try and be patient with your opponent but I would suggest the follwoing ...get your tournament organizer to call out 30 minute intervals is my advice. If the first 30 is called and you are just finishing turn 1 or 2 ... ask your opponent if he needs a timer (or be the bigger man if you are the slow player and ask for one for yourself). You might lose some sportsmanship points but heck ... any more from my tournaments those don't count for 1st or 2nd anymore anyway and I've seen a lot of tournaments go this route.

And the other lessons is that I shouldn't type when I'm about to fall asleep at the laptop ... I really ramble badly ... sorry.

Galak

Last edited by GalakStarscraper on Jul 12, 2006 - 07:34 AM; edited 1 time in total

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 11, 2006 - 09:56 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

gken1 wrote:
And that guy was really a major d*ck ... honestly.

He got lasts in sportsmanships from all his opponents and he dropped out of the tournament after 3 games and DEMANDED the special figure that I was giving for players that FINISHED all 5 games. I gave him the figure just so that he would get the f**k out of my tournament and hopefully not come back every again. If he does and he pulls that stunt again ... I'll be sure to tell him where he can stick his demands.

Every GenCon I get one prima donna for some reason. Last year it was him ... 2 years ago it was some loser who didn't like that I didn't put his team up for best painted and then got upset when he asked me to tell him why not and I pointed out the clear painting flaws and then he got REAL pissed off, dropped out without telling me, and later was discovered to have given me a $1.50 generic ticket for the tournament instead of the $13.50 to actually play (butt munch) ... and 3 years ago it was a group of 3 players who all quit after losing in the first round who told me they had better things to do than play in my tournament and then came back to try to tell me (ie sit and chat) how horrible their other things they did were and how much they wished they had stayed in the tournament while I'm trying to get the final round of the tournament ready to play.

But its part of the fun of running a tournament ... and Ken I'm really sorry you drew last year's prima donna. I apologize to anyone who draws this short straw at GenCon.

Oh man ... okay going to bed ... glad there are no we hate the LRB 5.0 discussions tonight and TBB is down .. that could be bad.

Galak

Jonny_POffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 12, 2006 - 12:27 AM

United States of America
Great stories Tom. They all made me laugh. Sorry for you they actually happened.

So basically you are saying either say 2 hours or 2.5 hours per game, but then when time is called it's over, or do you allow a "last wraps" or "bottom inning". No finishing into break.

What about the final game, would you allow that full OT or same time limit as normal games?

I like the calling out every half hour too. That will help.

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 12, 2006 - 07:34 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

jpeletis wrote:
So basically you are saying either say 2 hours or 2.5 hours per game, but then when time is called it's over, or do you allow a "last wraps" or "bottom inning". No finishing into break.

What about the final game, would you allow that full OT or same time limit as normal games?

I like the calling out every half hour too. That will help.

If your tournament schedule allows 2.5 games that's great ... mine never do. I run all my tournaments 2 hours a game period. Now when I say 2 hours I start the clock running basically after I have assigned all the matches and gotten everyone sat down so that everyone has the full 2 hours (and I kick folks in the butt if they are slow starting (we have announced start times for a reason).

So what does that mean ... it normally means that if a round is scheduled from 9-11 that I'll start handing out game assignments at 8:53 and the round might not finish until 11:05 if it was 9:05 until everyone got going.

That just means the break between rounds is 5 minutes shorter. I don't allow games to go past the 2 hour point.

In the final round of the tournament I have been know to allow that to go past 2 hours if the match for 1st and 2nd is not finished (see the 2005 Chaos Cup) (which only ran a few minutes past 2 hours ... so not too bad). However as SolarFlare will testify I was on that game like a hawk for time and keep telling him to play faster (and he still won ... good focus there Frank). If the game for 1st and 2nd was running slow (ie at 1 hour they are in turn 5 of the 1st half) ... I want that game to finish ... and would have ZERO issue putting them on a 4 minute timer to get that match done and standing directly over them to push them to finish if need be.

Galak

Jonny_POffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 12, 2006 - 09:05 AM

United States of America
Thanks for the tips. I supposed being strict on time is neccessary since the results of 1 game do affect the rest of the pairings. I will probably stick with 2 hours for each since that has been pretty successful in the tournaments I have played in the past.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic