NAF Logo
leftstar Apr 27, 2024 - 10:40 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Any day now. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MightyQOffline
Post subject: Tournament Point Systems  PostPosted: May 04, 2006 - 10:16 AM

Just curious what point systems people use in their tournaments...

Reply with quote Back to top
PaulOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 04, 2006 - 11:45 AM

Canada
Most tournaments that I've been to use 50 points for a win, 30 for a tie and 10 for a loss. You also get bonus 10 ponits for winning by more than 2 TDs, scoring the most casualties and keeping it close.

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 04, 2006 - 12:13 PM

Undisclosed
I personally like only 20 points for a tie...the difference between a win and a loss should be signifigant in the standings.

I don't agree with the philosophy that a winning by one, and a tie, are the same thing. A dwarf team can totally dominate their opponent and win by 1.

NAF Member #5236
---

Clan_SkavenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 04, 2006 - 12:22 PM

Niagara Falls ON, Canada
Well the only person I'm sure that will agree with me on this is Garth, but to me your scoring system should be based on win/loss record not points

For example adopt one of 2 systems ...

A) 2 pts for a win, 1 pt for a tie 0 pts for a loss
B)3 pts for a win 1 pt for a tie 0 pts for a loss

Now lets say method A was used ......
Orc team goes 1 win , 1 tie 3 losses =3 points
Undead team goes 0 wins , 0 ties , 5 losses =0 points
Wood Elf team goes 0 wins , 3 ties , 2 losses = 3 points

The Orc team would still be ahead of the Woodies, because it has more wins. The Undead will never be ahead of the Orc or Wood Elf team. No matter how many close games were lost by.

As for tie breakers

1) Most wins
2)if just 2 teams, head to head match up (if more than two, or they never played go to step 3)
3)total Td's scored
4)total Cas (from blocks / blitzes)
5)TD+/-
6)Cas (from blocks/ blitzes) +/-
7)Sportsmanship
8)Painting
9)dice off (if it comes down to this call Guiness Book!)

Now I'm not saying thats the exact system I'd use but its the basic type of format I'd use.

-----------------------------------------

Now the only way I'd ever consider adopting close to the current system would be,

30 pts for a win
10 pts for a tie
0 points for a loss
2 points for every TD
1 point for every Cas

(but honestly I'd still prefer my first example better.)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now I know everyone will cut my system down (tell me how it screws the bottom teams early) well the other system screws teams that win a game into being lowere than a team with no wins Rolling Eyes

While we are at it why not take the bottom 1/4 of teams after final round & have a lottery system for the wooden spoon (like they do for the draft choicees) so lts say a tourney has 20 teams after the final round lets say the bottom 1/4 (5 teams) is .....

16th Orc =1 lottery ball
17th Skaven =2 Lottery Balls
18th Goblin = 3 Lottery Balls
19th Dark Elf =4 Lottery Balls
20th Chaos = 5 Lottery Balls

There you go Chaos has the best chance of winning the Spoon cause they have 5 Lottery Balls in the bag. (but to be fair to the chaos coach he still has a good chance not to be last.)

Ok I'm not serious on the Lottery system on the Wooden Spoon, but to do it is just as ridiculas to have an 0-0-5 team finish higher than a 1-1-3 team!

Rod.

Host of the Warpstone Cup, Q'ermitt Bowl & the Hope Bowl

MightyQOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 04, 2006 - 01:53 PM

I have been searching naf and previous run tournaments and alot of tournaments use

3pts win
1pt tie
0 pts loss

Never understood why you would get points for losing anyway...

I searched the internet for examples and the majority of tournaments us a system where the win is 2x the tie and 0 for loses...

like 3,1,0 or 6,3,0 or 12,6,0...

I feel bonuses like 2+ touchdowns, + in casualties can be a bit racist... Khemri and Dwarfs would rarely get the 2+ touchdowns and most teams playing against AV9 teams wont get many casualties...

Win Loss record should always be first...

CyberHare
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 04, 2006 - 04:51 PM

There are a lot of different scoring systems and at the end of the day the only thing that matters is what you are trying to achieve and if the system reaches that goal. None of them are wrong. It's all a matter of taste and desired effect.

MightyQOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 04, 2006 - 06:04 PM

CyberHare wrote:
There are a lot of different scoring systems and at the end of the day the only thing that matters is what you are trying to achieve and if the system reaches that goal. None of them are wrong. It's all a matter of taste and desired effect.

It would be nice since tournaments are NAF sanctioned that there be some kind of NAF standard scoring system for all events...

CyberHare
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 04, 2006 - 07:04 PM

Ahh but how would you design a standard system that takes into account the desired goals of every Blood Bowl tournament world wide. My goals are not your goals and neither are they the goals of the Aussie scene, the Spanish scene or any of the other flourishing tournament scenes. The BB tourney scene has grown because of it's open nature. Not despite it.

MightyQOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 04, 2006 - 07:24 PM

Tournament - A series of contests in which a number of contestants compete and the one that prevails through the final round or that finishes with the best record is declared the winner.

I have been running tournaments now, every Saturday (except when I am at a Blood Bowl tourney) for 2 years... The only goal I have seen is people playing to win and get the prize and recognition... Having fun comes 2nd, which all seem to do even when they lose...

skummyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 04, 2006 - 08:47 PM

CyberHare wrote:
Ahh but how would you design a standard system that takes into account the desired goals of every Blood Bowl tournament world wide. My goals are not your goals and neither are they the goals of the Aussie scene, the Spanish scene or any of the other flourishing tournament scenes. The BB tourney scene has grown because of it's open nature. Not despite it.

100% on the money. NAF shouldn't dictate the metagame of global scoring. If a slightly different scoring system is used in some tournaments, there's no real probem as long as all coaches know what the system is to start with.

And if you win all your games it shouldn't matter, anyway.

-Oscar Wilde

XtremeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 04, 2006 - 08:54 PM
Da Boss

United States of America
      Quote:
I have been running tournaments now, every Saturday (except when I am at a Blood Bowl tourney) for 2 years... The only goal I have seen is people playing to win and get the prize and recognition... Having fun comes 2nd, which all seem to do even when they lose...

IMO the only time having fun should come second is if you are getting paid to play. Since there are no proffesional BBers to my knowledge we should all be having fun first. If you told me you were running a tournament and having fun was second, you wouldn't see me there. I don't play Bloodbowl to boost my ego.

Clan_SkavenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 05, 2006 - 12:56 AM

Niagara Falls ON, Canada
      MightyQ wrote:
      CyberHare wrote:

It would be nice since tournaments are NAF sanctioned that there be some kind of NAF standard scoring system for all events...

I diasagree, one thing I like is that many tourneys have different themes or styles.

Having different point systyms adds to the variety. I may not like certain systems but as they change is good. Gawd how hum drum would it be to play every tourney a carbon copy of all the rest. Also if someone doesn't want to play in a certain type of tourney cause it doesn't appeal to them (whether its the point system or tourney theme , or number of games or whatever the reason), the individual can always chose to skip that tourney. Not even the wealthiest BB gamer can make every tourney, so pick the best one(s) for you to attend.

IMO, variety in tournies is what will make them more enjoyable!

Rod

Clan_SkavenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 05, 2006 - 01:11 AM

Niagara Falls ON, Canada
      Xtreme wrote:
      Quote:

IMO the only time having fun should come second is if you are getting paid to play. Since there are no proffesional BBers to my knowledge we should all be having fun first. If you told me you were running a tournament and having fun was second, you wouldn't see me there. I don't play Bloodbowl to boost my ego.

I have to agree with Xtreme here, going to tournies for me is all about meeting other BloodBowlers like myself. Having a fun time winning or losing (sure you can get a frustrating string of bad luck) Ask anybody I am usually in the mid to bottom end most of the tourney, but still have a great time! (Having my Rat Ogre roll triple Skulls blitzing a gobbo blows chunks & ruins a perfectly good play, but is funny as hell! Laughing )

I have never heard of any tourney that having fun was 2nd to winning. If thats how the people play in your weekend tournies remind me not to compete in it. BB tournies is way more the social aspect of the game than it is the actual game itself for me (& I bet many will agree with me) Jeez if I had to list all the new friends I have aquired through BB Tournies.... lets just say it would be a very long list!

If BB tournies ever evolved into serious win at all cost events, thats when it would be time for me retire my block dice cause the game would be all but ruined!

Rod.

MightyQOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 05, 2006 - 02:00 AM

Well thats one reason I posted to get a better understand things...

This weekends Heroclix tournament, the winner gets a seed in the World Championships in June at Wizard World East, so yes it will be competitive... At some tournaments you can win complete sets...

I do play to have fun, but am going to try my hardest to win... It's just some comments made seemed to make a tournement pointless...

It was only my 3rd NAF tournament and it was different then I expected, different then the other 2 I was in... And in posting and talking with a few others, they pointed out things I was unaware of and things I should and shouldn't expect, much appreciated...

CyberHare
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 05, 2006 - 04:32 AM

MightyQ wrote:

May I ask if those are BB tournaments or other events such as Hero Clics or a CCG? I only ask because there in might lie the difference.

Xtreme wrote:

Bang on the money there Xtreme. And I put my money where my mouth is to back that up. 3 years in a row driving 16 hours to Gencon as the odd man out. A trip to England to help referee & several other events as TO or help in some other manner. The social aspect of the BB tournament scene is the backbone of the tournament scene.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic