NAF Logo
leftstar May 10, 2024 - 10:12 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Waterbowl are overrated rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
BuggritOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 16, 2006 - 04:54 AM

In your dugout pimping your cheerleaders!
Yup Block very handy on Throwers.
I've got a BOB with Jump Up, next skill I give him will be Wrestle because a lot of players in the league have Block and if 2 Block players get a both down result nothing happens. If you have wrestle you both go down but with no armour rolls. BUT hardly anybody else in the league has Jump Up so if that BOB gets hit with a BD & opponent has block I can wrestle him to the ground and then in my turn Jump Up that BOB and then foul the player that blocked him Smile Happy Days

Reply with quote Back to top
zee78729Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 27, 2007 - 09:21 PM

For a 100 tr tournament roster I like:

4 blitzers
3 BOBs
3 Line Orcs
1 Thrower
1 Goblin
3 rr's

With 12 players you do not need to worry about a ko or lucky casualty. Depth also helps to prevent being beaten by the only weakness orcs have in lack of speed and being outnumbered. Fan factor is not needed with 3 rr's and a strategy of 8 turn drives to limit kickoffs and crushing the opponents. The goblin can be used if you really need a score with the stunty and dodge. What ever skills you take with orcs can not go wrong. Block or guard on BOBs is great. Tackle for attacking catchers or war dancers is nice and I like frenzy just for the crowd pushes to help get numbers. One skill that should be considered is kick-off return for the thrower to add to the team speed and to help counter blitz's on the kickoff chart.

kjonesinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 28, 2007 - 10:08 AM

Toronto
Orcs in a tourney environment typically aren't very strong, due to low starting skills. I've only ever seen neoliminal play Orcs well in a tourney, and both times I faced him I was able to beat him by attacking his thrower. In a tournament, I would definitely start with two throwers, they are your most vulnerable players and you need their sure hands skill so you can save rerolls for your blocks.

Also - if you play the 'standard' tight cage you'll find yourself overmatched against dwarves and khemri. Orcs play a very strong loose cage/running style. The idea is to get two players next to the ball carrier, and then surround that with a loose cage of tackle zones, tough to dodge through and it gives you options when you need to move the ball.

edit: for skills, take tackle on a blitzer and one with guard. or if you're going with one thrower take sure hands on one blitzer. but you will need that tackle.

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 28, 2007 - 04:03 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
lol PeteW won the BB GT with Orcs Smile There are seven 200+ rankings with Orcs - including one from Canada where points are much harder to earn - ignore mine since most of my points were gained in Europe.

I think Orcs are much better at TV100 than TV110. The main reason is because they have access to good skills and cheap players.

My personal preference is for 4 BOBs, 3 Blitzers, 1 Thrower, 3 Line Orcs. I generally skill up the BOBs with Guard and one blitzer with frenzy or tackle. I never skill up the thrower who is really in the team for sure hands to protect against strip ball war dancers. Pippy (#1) likes the 12th man and I think swaps a BOB & Thrower for 3 line orcs.

The 4th BOB (vs 4th Blitzer) is really because the BOBs win games against other strength teams, which are more common than flair teams where the blitzers are more useful.

At 110 I tend to take the troll but then you've just made a very reliable team have a key unreliable piece so I think you need to be a bit luckier then - and other teams benefit more from that extra 100k.

kjonesinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 28, 2007 - 06:36 PM

Toronto
I see alot of dwarves in tourneys... Orcs in a tourney environment are dead meat against dwarves, or even chaos dwarves. Wood elves give them trouble as well, but I think that's strictly due to speed and the prevalence of the tight cage which is a little weak against a strong Elf coach (or a lucky one with wardancers)

CramyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 28, 2007 - 09:59 PM

Canada
I have to agree with DoubleSkulls here. A well coached Orc team at TV100 is very good. They can beat Dwarves, and I have seen them beat Dwarves many times. And if they play the clock right, they can beat the flair teams as well. Remember that flair team can't score if they never have the ball except for the one start of half where they receive.

Cramy

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 29, 2007 - 02:49 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
Orc stats - http://www.irwilliams.com/naf/total_for_all_competitions.html#Orc. Very much mid-table which sort of supports your POV but probably not quite as strongly as you are making it. Dwarves I generally dislike playing, but I'd say the only team I really worry about are Undead (which is pretty common!). I doubt I'd enjoy playing zons either, but I can't recollect a match up against them. Woodies I generally don't mind, unless the b*gg&s get lucky!

One key thing to bear in mind is that Orcs play about 1/4 of all NAF games - they are by far the most popular. So they probably have more than the normal amount of new & average coaches since the more unusual races tend to attract more experienced players.

kjonesinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 29, 2007 - 01:53 PM

Toronto
You're right in saying that Orcs attract lots of new/average coaches, that's a trend that is very noticeable. That's why you see the tight cage very often, which isn't all that strong. Neoliminal played an exceptional loose cage against my CD's back in 2003, but with equal movement, lots of block and a couple guards I was able to counter most of his moves. The absolute key to the game was knocking out his thrower early. He then gakked my centaur, but it didn't matter much because he couldn't pick up the ball! Good Orc coaches are a pretty frightening thing, but in a short tournament I think they lack the skills to be truly dominant. And in a tournament where you stand a good chance of playing 2 or more games against dwarves I think they are a weak choice, but then again everyone has troubles against dwarves. Stupid dwarves...

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 29, 2007 - 11:27 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
Back in 2003 CDs were a team to be feared at tournament play, and IIRC, were #1 for a while. The reroll price hike in the 2004 Rules Review brought them down to much more normal tier 1 levels (C:\keeper\java\NAF Results\html\by_date.html).

My figure above was wrong, Orcs are only 1/8 of all games played, but they are the only team with more than 10%. Skaven, Dwarves, Wood Elves, Undead, Norse all have 7.5% or above.

kjonesinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 30, 2007 - 09:34 AM

Toronto
Thanks so much for compiling the stats friend!

CDs used to be super nasty! I used to take six dwarves, one centaur, six hobgobs, three rerolls and six fan factor (rerolls were 50k) which suited my style perfectly. Lots of muscle, decent ball handling and reserves to let you foul without fear! High fan factor (when most other teams were one or two) meant you won pitch invasions, throw a rock, get the ref, cheering fans, etc.; this is no longer very strong with the changes to the operation of FAME. The reroll price hike was definitely necessary; CD's are still a powerful tournament team but nowhere near as nasty as before. I prefer in my world that the 'standard' teams like Orcs, humans and skaven are strongest and the 'wierd' teams competitive but not dominant.

I feel that Humans are a slightly weak tournament team; they're most powerful mid-league where they're still ahead of the skill curve and other teams aren't advanced enough to have their stat advantage fully realized.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic