NAF Logo
leftstar May 17, 2024 - 09:34 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Bonehead. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
biggdorkOffline
Post subject: Chaos Dwarfs: What's Going On?  PostPosted: Feb 12, 2003 - 06:26 PM

Okay. What is the deal with chaos dwarfs? They are the worst looking miniatures EVER. Having never played with, or against, them, I have no idea how they perform on the pitch. I am assuming rather well seeing as the infamous TBBF Cuttlefish of Cthulhu (nice Gwar reference, BTW) seem to do alright for themselves. Is that what motivates coaches to use such utter piles of sculpting crap?!?! Is it because they are a good team? I need answers!

Did I mention the Chaos Dwarf miniatures repulse me?

Reply with quote Back to top
Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2003 - 07:06 PM

United States of America
I actually like them. The hats can be taken as a bit much, but they were fun to paint. They have also done well on the pitch thus far while I have been coaching them.

aka Rob (NAF #248)
President of the Lord Borak Fan Club
Founder of the GCLU
Commissioner, TO, Goblin King, NEBBN TSO

ColinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2003 - 09:46 PM

The actual team is fairly good on the pitch, but you are right, they look horrible! They ARE the worst looking minis yet produced. The hats look rediculous and who ever heard of a Chaos Dwarf using a curling iron on his hair and beard!?!

I wish I had a digital camera and I would post some picts of the team I converted based on 2ed CDs, they look great! Cool

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2003 - 10:40 PM

Undisclosed
I played them in the REBBL Challenge PBeM league, and they did OK (but didn't suit my playing style, so retired them in the best possible way - by playing a huge team).

If I was ever to play them tabletop, I try to get my hands on old 2nd ed figures, and cnvert what I couldn't get (ie Bull Centaurs).

The fact I think they're a worse set of figures than even the fanatic plankman..., sorry, Treeman, says it all really.

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

AnthonyTBBFOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2003 - 11:06 PM

Toronto, ON
I saw someone who made Chaos Dwarves out of WFB Dwarf regiment sprues and Chaos Warrior heads, they looked pretty good.

Orion Cup - June 8, 2013

MestariOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 13, 2003 - 12:06 AM

AnthonyTBBF wrote:
I saw someone who made Chaos Dwarves out of WFB Dwarf regiment sprues and Chaos Warrior heads, they looked pretty good.

Wasn't that combination being sold in the US Mail Order or something?

Anyhow, what comes to the official miniatures, just cut off the hats - that should do it. Add in some additional converting and you should have an OK chaos dwarf team.

SquiggothOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 13, 2003 - 02:10 AM

That mail order deal was on the net about a week after I made some sketches for Norse Chaos Dwarves and showed them around at Games Day Sad
Anyway, I really like the Chaos Dwarfs with their Babylonian hats and jewish-orthodox beards... They look like the bad guys from Jesus Christ Superstar Smile

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
GrumbledookOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 13, 2003 - 03:27 AM

I LOVE THE SILLY HATS

Leave my chaos dwarfs alone.

Jon

twistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 13, 2003 - 03:32 AM

Canada
Awww, c'mon... Leave the evil dwarves alone.... At least they are all united in their bad fashion sense! Hey, the Cuttlefish even have a Minotaur with a 'silly hat'!!! Laughing

HammerBowl. http://bkbbl.com/

SquiggothOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 13, 2003 - 03:46 AM

Silly hats rule!!!
Well, at least they rule the Zharr-Naggrund Ziggurat... Rolling Eyes

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 13, 2003 - 11:31 AM

Undisclosed
Big Hats?! No thanks. Proper mutant CD's any day (even if you can't take Physical attributes).

BlanchPrezOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 13, 2003 - 11:49 AM

Hey, for those of us that don't play Warhammer Fantasy Battle and only have a passing knowledge of the races there (mostly from White Dwarf mags), can someone point me to a place where I can find background information on the Chaos Dwarves? I know next to nothing about this race, and that's the main reason I've never played them.

Chris

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 13, 2003 - 12:04 PM

Undisclosed
      BlanchPrez wrote:
Hey, for those of us that don't play Warhammer Fantasy Battle and only have a passing knowledge of the races there (mostly from White Dwarf mags), can someone point me to a place where I can find background information on the Chaos Dwarves? I know next to nothing about this race, and that's the main reason I've never played them.

Chris

They appeared, as if by magic, somewhere between 3rd and 4th (5th?) ed. WFB, causing the total loss, and lack of knowledge of, the true Chaos Dwarves from the Karaks overran by Chaos excursions Evil or Very Mad . They wear silly hats to honour the god or something.

Oh, you wanted the proper fluff, sorry, don't now, don't care and hope they're written out soon (my personal opinion, you may differ, that's up to you).

BlanchPrezOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 13, 2003 - 12:13 PM

Darkson wrote:
causing the total loss, and lack of knowledge of, the true Chaos Dwarves from the Karaks overran by Chaos excursions.

Okay, now I'm confused... you make it sound as if there are two different groups/histories of Chaos Dwarves. Did GW just totally screw with the race at one point, as this sound, or what? Or should I just drop the whole thing? Shocked

Chris

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 13, 2003 - 12:30 PM

Undisclosed
Ok, being serious now.

When WFB was in it's 3rd ed. (when all the chaos stuff started to happen) the CD's were normal dwarfs who were overrun by chaos during one of the chaos expansions, when their Karaks were absorbed. These were the Chaos Dwarves, and the figures included all sorts of minor mutations. This was in WD's, early 100's. These Cd's were used n the 2nd ed game, using the same rules as the dwarf team, except they could also thave 2 mutants.

When the 4th (5th?) WFB was released the "mutant" CD's had disappeared, written out of the fluff (along with "good" centaurs, agile Slann and other races), to be replaced with the "big hat" CD's we see today. This change was reflected in 3rd ed. BB.

As an old time gamer (16+ years) this is one of the things that really bug me about GW, the constant re-writing of the fluff which mkes half of your mini collection obsolete Rolling Eyes

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic