NAF Logo
leftstar May 04, 2024 - 07:58 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Dark Elf assassins are rather nasty rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
BabsOffline
Post subject: CanCon 2007 (Southern Wastes Scrimmage)  PostPosted: Oct 12, 2006 - 08:11 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
Yay! It's all up and working - finally;

http://www.thesouthernwastesscrimmage.com/

Register and it automatically sends me an email with your registration. It all works well (finally!)

So no time to lose! Oh - and here is the official place to chat about the upcoming tournament!

Washed up old has been.
Ex-official GW Blood Bowl Rules Committee member
Ex-NAF Tournament Organiser, Australasia
Co-Author of the Feudball first novel.

Reply with quote Back to top
BevanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 13, 2006 - 12:49 AM

Babs

Can you clarify that "Star players can NOT be purchased. At All." means that star players can not be freebooted either. Some of us rules lawyers would say freebooters are not purchased. Rolling Eyes

Is the reset rule definitely official despite the disatrous effect at MOAB? Evil or Very Mad Did anyone else there think the rule was a good idea.

The home page says it runs from 26-28 January (Fri-Sun) but the rulebook says the final is on Monday and has a timetable for Sat & Sun. (Yes, I know its obvious but you should fix it rather than copy and paste every year.)

Are you going to be there despite your other committments?

I'll wait for clarification of the above before registering.

BabsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 14, 2006 - 03:00 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
No - not even be freebooted.

What disastrous effect at MOAB? Of restarting?

OK - so I do copy and paste. But time, my friend, is a premium. I only have one life to live like the rest of us. Apologies about the non-corrected typo. I thought I caught them all - but I already spent 4+ hours updating the website...

As to being there - it's looking likely. I am planning to be there - however house plans and building, if they get messy, may still prevent me from being there.

Washed up old has been.

BevanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 14, 2006 - 02:19 PM

Babs wrote:
What disastrous effect at MOAB? Of restarting?

I was referring to GardenGnome winning, Laughing but anyone who can beat you 4-0 must be a brilliant coach. Rolling Eyes

I had been going to suggest that the Australian Championship should use rules as close as possible to the rules for the World Championship, but since we don't know what those rules are Rolling Eyes we might as well keep a system that works. Very Happy

BabsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 16, 2006 - 01:11 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
Yes he beat me 4-0.

However, I killed one wolf and seriously injured (niggle) the other. That was my aim, but it happened too late in the game for it to change the score.

He started the team again. But he was able to start as at the beginning of round 3, not at TR100. If he had been made to restart completely (or keep soldiering on) - his tournament would have been over.

And that's my concern. The new rule about restarting as at the beginning of the previous round is a FANTASTIC rule for necromantic teams.

Washed up old has been.

BevanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 16, 2006 - 02:32 AM

Babs wrote:
And that's my concern. The new rule about restarting as at the beginning of the previous round is a FANTASTIC rule for necromantic teams.

That was I why I wanted to make sure the rule was definitely locked in before I get my necromantic team ready for Cancon. Twisted Evil

Actually it seems to be a fantastic rule for all elf teams, skaven, chaos dwarf, any team with big guys, any team with players worth more than 70k, any team with more than 1 Av7 player, teams that want to skip an apothecary, stunty teams, ..... Rolling Eyes

Since GardenGnome scored 4TDs he was presumably giving up some SPPs and extra skills, unless the dead werewolf did all the scoring. Laughing

The rule does mean that no-one will have their entire weekend destroyed by a single bad game. Since nearly everyone travels a considerable distance to be there, this is probably a good idea, although it might make some of us play more recklessly than usual. Cool

ChunkyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 16, 2006 - 05:04 PM

Perhaps a compromise could be reached?

How about the resetting team loses all treasury (that selective time travel costs a bit you know!) and:

a) lose 1 spp from each player to a minimum of 0 remaining

and/or (most probably or)

b) lose 5 spp from 2 (1?) randomly selected players

Personally, I'd go for option 1, which is likely to have some effect (how many of us love those cheap completions for skills) but not be an absolute disaster.

Or you could just go a reset tourney and save a whole bunch of hassles Smile

http://eucalyptus-bowl.doubleskulls.net/

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
BevanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 16, 2006 - 08:08 PM

Chunky wrote:
How about the resetting team loses all treasury and:
a) lose 1 spp from each player to a minimum of 0 remaining
or
b) lose 5 spp from 2 (1?) randomly selected players

In return for getting back any players that were killed or seriously injured, a team that resets to the position before that game loses -
(a) any winnings from that game
(b) all SPPs and skills earned in that game

I'm not sure that any extra penalties are needed.

However, after playing Eucalyptus bowl I agree that reset tourneys save a lot of hassles and I would be quite happy with a full reset tournament. Very Happy

BevanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 17, 2006 - 02:49 PM

Chunky wrote:
How about the resetting team loses all treasury (that selective time travel costs a bit you know!) ...

There is one situation in which a resetting team should lose treasury, and that is when it has been spent on freebooting. That money should be considered as not recoverable by resetting.

Consider a Dark Elf team with two games to play and 110,000gps. They could
(a) Buy a Blitzer or Witch Elf and have one extra player for both the last two games. This is a reasonable choice if you will try to gain a skill for the new player.
or
(b) Freeboot a Witch Elf or Blitzer in one game and freeboot again in the last, giving them one extra player for both the last two games. This is probably better than (a) since the player might die and probably won't gain a skill.
or
(c) Freeboot both a Blitzer and Witch Elf in one game, then claim a need to reset and do exactly the same in the last game, giving TWO extra players in both games.

Clearly (c) is against the spirit of the rule allowing resetting and can be easily prevented by disallowing the reuse of freebooting funds.

This also prevents the neat idea that Doubleskulls explained to me once. You play Halflings and buy exactly 11 players, spending extra cash on the Chef, assistants, fan factor, cheerleaders, rerolls etc, but leaving exactly enough to freeboot another 5 players. This way you have a full strength team with maximum reroll advantage. Then you just reset to your starting lineup after every game. (Halflings who gain skills die anyway). Note that this would have been permitted under the old "reset to start" rule, assuming the Tournament Organiser didn't notice and disqualify the team. Rolling Eyes

The TO might need to allow for teams that attempt to play on with 10 players by not resetting but freebooting a lineman, but then lose more players in the next game and realise that they should have reset, but now are stuck with <10 players and no money. They could be allowed to go back to the start or possibly back two rounds at the TO's discretion.

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 17, 2006 - 08:36 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
You know I think resurrection is superior for tournaments so no point having that discussion again.

Why not just ban freebooting? Without star players available all there is is freebooters (who you never see normally) and wizards. Wizards aren't available to everyone so are a little unfair on the unliving and the short ugly ones. That would neatly remove the artifical saving up to freeboot in the last rounds too. Maybe allow freebooting only in the final game?

BevanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 18, 2006 - 12:31 AM

Doubleskulls wrote:
You know I think resurrection is superior for tournaments so no point having that discussion again.

Why not just ban freebooting? Without star players available all there is is freebooters (who you never see normally) and wizards. Wizards aren't available to everyone so are a little unfair on the unliving and the short ugly ones. That would neatly remove the artifical saving up to freeboot in the last rounds too. Maybe allow freebooting only in the final game?

There are situations where freebooting should be permitted. If a team has a serious injury they may not want to restart (due to loss of SPPs) but would be playing with only 10 players. Freebooting a lineman could get them through to the next game when they get their regular player back.

A system we use in league finals is that you can only freeboot direct replacements for dead or injured players. This prevents a mad scramble for high value position players, big guys etc that had never played for the team during the regular series.

I would like to see the same at Cancon where freebooting distorts the team rating effect that is used for handicaps. In my previous example, freebooting twice (rather than purchase) gives a lower TR in the last round for the same effect on player numbers. Despite the higher costs, freebooting for the last 3 games could make more sense than purchase (from a strategic position for handicap advantage).

Maybe this is all to complex and we should look at resurrection style. Rolling Eyes

ChunkyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 18, 2006 - 03:17 AM

I've always freebooted quite a bit in non-resurrection tourneys due to attrition on my Humans thats not reset worthy.

http://eucalyptus-bowl.doubleskulls.net/

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
BabsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 19, 2006 - 12:57 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
Perhaps there can only be a reset of team allowed at the approval of the commish (to prevent cheesy abuse)?

I think that's the easiest way to solve that.

Washed up old has been.

BevanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 19, 2006 - 03:58 AM

Babs wrote:
Perhaps there can only be a reset of team allowed at the approval of the commish (to prevent cheesy abuse)?

I'm happy with that. Very Happy

There seem to be various situations where freebooting is necessary, but without Star players it shouldn't get out of hand. We can confidently leave it to our experienced commish to check that any resets are fair. Cool

BabsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 22, 2006 - 11:43 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
Thanks. It was just an 'on the spot' decision - but happy to update the ruleset to state that.

However, the question remains - are Necro teams too powerful under the ruleset?

Washed up old has been.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic