NAF Logo
leftstar May 03, 2024 - 09:11 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
You don't know Borak! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Is the 'reset' rule for CanCon 07 broken
Yes! Blood Bowl becomes Elf Ball a little more every year
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
It could be, particularly some teams like Necromantic.
28%
 28%  [ 4 ]
No! How many players chances at a tournament are ruined by one bad game?
50%
 50%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 14

BabsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 23, 2006 - 09:32 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
..and no reset rule means some poor sod gets screwed out of enjoying the tournament....

Washed up old has been.
Ex-official GW Blood Bowl Rules Committee member
Ex-NAF Tournament Organiser, Australasia
Co-Author of the Feudball first novel.

Reply with quote Back to top
BevanOffline
Post subject: Reset  PostPosted: Nov 24, 2006 - 01:26 PM

I note that only 25% of the voters say the rule is broken, with 50% saying its not broken. Since the rule has been on the official website for about a month I hope its not going to be scrapped at this stage.

I suggest the following to limit its misuse. After the blurb in the rules saying its no fun when teams are destroyed add -

"At the end of any game a team may reset to the TR100 team they had at the start of the first game. Coaches may do this as often as necessary. Once only during the tournament, at the end of a game, the team may be reset to the team as it was at the start of that game. Although the players are reset, any cash used for freebooters in that game is lost and cannot be used a second time."

This gives everyone the same rule and doesn't depend on the whim of the TO. Early in the series coaches may prefer to reset to start, since they only get one chance to reset to previous game.

A coach of a team with no casualties could use this rule to reset after game 6 if the team had gained SPPs but no new skills and little or no cash. This would avoid a useless TR increase in the final game. I don't have problem with coaches that use their otherwise unused Reset in this way. Rolling Eyes

I hope there are not going to be any significant rule changes in the last 2 months before the event . Very Happy

VirralOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 26, 2006 - 01:57 AM

Australia
Bevan, I can't believe that you are actually suggesting that this rule should be used for tactical purposes. That goes beyond absurd, please Babs if you aren't going to listen to all the perfectly good reasons given not to use the rule at least don't allow everyone to do it at their own discretion so they can reset to avoid a MNG in the final round or something equally shallow.

We have had a bunch of people give a bunch of reasons not to use this rule, and we have evidence that it has had an unbalancing effect on the last tournament which used it. The only counter argument I have seen is that people might have less fun if their team gets smashed (like Blood Bowlers don't know damn well what they are getting in for when they sign up). Well boo hoo for them, if they really can't handle an occasional dice-rape then they are playing the wrong game, and I really don't think we should potentially screw up the entire competition just for a few sore losers.

If you wanted rules to avoid anyone having a bad time after a rough game, you should have used LRB5. It's that simple.

I'm done, I'll see you all in January if not before.

BevanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 26, 2006 - 03:02 AM

Virral wrote:
Bevan, I can't believe that you are actually suggesting that this rule should be used for tactical purposes. That goes beyond absurd,...

This is in the same category as the tactical use of an apothecary in the last couple of turns in a game when you use him on a stunned player who is the only one who can score on your last turn. If you haven't needed your apothecary previously then this is a perfectly legitimate use for one.

I'm suggesting that if we have the reset rule, then those coaches who don't get their teams smashed up and don't need to reset earlier can still get some minor benefit from the rule.

BabsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 26, 2006 - 07:08 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
The rule _IS_ staying guys. I'm done on this issue. If you want to be constructive about it - help me reword it slightly so it won't get abused by beardy players.

Because that's what all the fuss is about anyway. Potential Abuse. Frankly, at this stage I'm coming, I'm playing Dark Elves as well and if anyone needs to use the rule they need to come through me first. That should sort out the needy from the beardy.

Anyone else have a better suggestion?

Washed up old has been.

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 26, 2006 - 08:40 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
I'm with Virral. If anyone wants to use the rule for tactical purposes then it isn't worth having. The rule is there to help the poor sod who gets ripped to pieces in round 3 - not to get a minor edge in round 6 or 7.

The only way is commissioners discretion - not players. If you don't want to say no to people then don't have the rule and we'll just have to suck it up.

BabsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 27, 2006 - 03:40 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
After all my thinking I completely agree with Doubleskulls on this. So for all your whingeing I'll need to be there to tell some beardy Blood Bowlers 'NO!' eh?

Washed up old has been.

ChunkyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 27, 2006 - 04:23 PM

Yay! A decision at last!

http://eucalyptus-bowl.doubleskulls.net/

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
lord_shamblesOffline
Post subject: reset rule  PostPosted: Dec 04, 2006 - 10:47 PM

I have a simple fix. If you need a player back it costs you a tournement point for each player The ones you get for winning or playing a round. This means if the person wants 2 players back they lost . This will cost 2 points out of a possible 6 for the tournment round. Heck even give them to the opponent who caused them. In Babs case he would of got 2 points from his oppoent for the 2 werewolves. Meaning he would of walked away with at least 3 points while his opponent would of gotten 4 max. Which means he can still play the tournament with his team but may not win the tournamant.

BevanOffline
Post subject: Re: reset rule  PostPosted: Dec 05, 2006 - 12:51 PM

lord_shambles wrote:
I have a simple fix. If you need a player back it costs you a tournement point for each player The ones you get for winning or playing a round. This means if the person wants 2 players back they lost . This will cost 2 points out of a possible 6 for the tournment round. Heck even give them to the opponent who caused them. In Babs case he would of got 2 points from his oppoent for the 2 werewolves. Meaning he would of walked away with at least 3 points while his opponent would of gotten 4 max. Which means he can still play the tournament with his team but may not win the tournamant.

This could encourage some coaches to try to destroy their opponent's teams without regard to the score and might end with a situation where the top team had lost every game 0:5. Rolling Eyes

ClayInfinityOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: reset rule  PostPosted: Dec 07, 2006 - 03:23 AM

Australia
Hi, terribly late in the debate and all, but I am with Oz & Virral on this one...

I play simply for the fun days and catching up with people and the laughs... if my team gets trashed, I may consider a TR100 reset, but I'd have to be REALLY trashed to do it...

If I go home to Sydney with an 0-7 record and the wooden spoon, I dont mind as long as my hand doesnt get slapped Razz

My vote: Let the dice fall and let the dead stay dead.

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 07, 2006 - 05:32 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Virral wrote:
If you wanted rules to avoid anyone having a bad time after a rough game, you should have used LRB5. It's that simple.
I've been following this whole thread with interest and will chime in only one comment as an outsider. While I realize this change would have meant that Chunky would have not attended ... I cannot help but think that Virral had the real right answer to this problem as this whole thread has been about an issue LRB 5.0 was SPECIFICALLY designed to handle.

With the DeathBowl moving to LRB 5.0 in 2007 ... it looks like CanCon may be one of the only non-LRB 5.0 tournaments in 2007.

Hope the event goes well Babs.

Galak

ChunkyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 09, 2006 - 03:07 PM

Well, that barrier is removed now anyways. With LRB5 looming like the Sword of Damocles I'm losing all interest in Blood Bowl in general, and really don't feel like driving for a ridiculous amount of time for a game I no longer have the enthusiasm to play. I can easily have just as much fun around here playing other games.

http://eucalyptus-bowl.doubleskulls.net/

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 09, 2006 - 08:24 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

So ignoring MOAB '06 ... Babs ... if Chunky is already out .. why not just use LRB 5.0 for CanCon '07? Sure really solves your issue with this reset mess as that was what inducements and journeymen were designed for. And now I'll bow out ... I assumed the only reason you were doing all of this was for Chunky (which I completely understood as he is a key OZ player) ... but if he is gone ... now I'm not sure why all the extra hassle.

Galak

BevanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 09, 2006 - 08:55 PM

GalakStarscraper wrote:
With the DeathBowl moving to LRB 5.0 in 2007 ... it looks like CanCon may be one of the only non-LRB 5.0 tournaments in 2007.

This sounds worse than it really is, since CanCon is in January and Babs wanted to anounce the rules well before the event, to allow coaches to decide whether to arrange travel. LRB5 had not been official for long when the rules for CanCon were announced.

Many Australian leagues would end their current series at the end of the year, so few leagues would change to LRB5 until the New Year. So it was not unreasonable for Babs to stick to the rules that everyone was familiar with. Chunky was not the only one who said (at previous events) that they would not come if we used LRB5.

I'm a bit concerned that it may be too late for yet another rule change, and a major one at that. We need time for a few practice games using LRB5 and many leagues will close down during Dec/Jan due to holidays.

However, I would accept a change to LRB5 provided it is done right away - within the next week. anyway. But if we start another poll and go through voting again then I'll just cancel.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic