NAF Logo
leftstar May 05, 2024 - 07:07 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Toot Toot rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ChunkyOffline
Post subject: Eucalyptus Bowl 2007  PostPosted: Dec 09, 2006 - 03:13 PM

With Doublesskulls most likely going to be in the UK for much of the year, and myself losing interest in BB due to the onset of LRB5, I regret to say that unless someone steps up to the plate, Eucalyptus Bowl will not be on in 2007.

If some fresh blood step up the plate however, it may still be run. However, having worked very hard to make Eucalyptus Bowl into the best BB tournament in Australia, I wil not be handing over the reins willy nilly.

Anyone interested in taking over will need to show a level of planning and organisation that gives us confidence that you will carry on the good name of Eucalyptus Bowl. We would also require you to commit to keeping the tournament a resurrection event.

If this sounds like a job application, in effect thats exactly what it is.

http://eucalyptus-bowl.doubleskulls.net/

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
Reply with quote Back to top
Rabid_BogscumOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 11, 2006 - 02:53 PM

Australia
Is it a role that is solo for next year but is likely to be a partnership with Ian again in 2008?

ChunkyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 11, 2006 - 05:21 PM

I can't speak for Ian, but I'd say its fairly likely.

Rabid_BogscumOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 11, 2006 - 05:30 PM

Australia
Would you consider someone that is keen to do it for one year, but maybe not commit to the cause indefinately?

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 11, 2006 - 06:35 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
I'm willing to go solo for 2008 if someone can help out and do 2007.

VirralOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 14, 2006 - 10:09 PM

Australia
If someone else is willing to partner up with me, I would be happy to step up to the plate. I don't fancy taking it all on by myself though, I have to be honest.

Of course if I'm going to be helping out then I'd want to make it LRB5 resurrection :O

ChunkyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 15, 2006 - 12:59 AM

You'd be free to do so.

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 21, 2006 - 02:03 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
Rabid & Virral do you want to do it then

VirralOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 21, 2006 - 03:21 PM

Australia
Yep, I'm in.

Rabid_BogscumOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 23, 2006 - 03:47 AM

Australia
Looking Likely Ian, afraid im just holding out on an idea of living arrangements which should be decided in january

BabsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 31, 2006 - 08:30 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
Vimes could be potentially interested in helping too if you asked nicely. I'll sound out the idea with him and let you know.

Washed up old has been.
Ex-official GW Blood Bowl Rules Committee member
Ex-NAF Tournament Organiser, Australasia
Co-Author of the Feudball first novel.

Rabid_BogscumOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 02, 2007 - 04:48 AM

Australia
Things can be discussed down at Cancon but at this rate I believe myself and Virral will be handling the reigns this year. And while I hold a preference to getting out there and playing im more than happy to help Ian out next year if we dont F*&^ things up too badly Laughing

ChunkyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 02, 2007 - 04:53 AM

Well, so much for the having to actually show a bit more than just putting a hand up I guess.

BabsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 03, 2007 - 06:10 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
It's a volunteer job and volunteers do it. Like me. Hence professionalism is a difficult thing to achieve on a budget of $0 for wages.

Sometimes I cop abuse from players. But I do it for the love of the game. No other benefit. So asking people to 'demonstrate a level of planning and organisation that gives us confidence that you will carry on the good name of Eucalyptus Bowl' is a pretty tall order. Other than knowing that Virral and Rabid are well meaning Blood Bowl enthusuasts and knowing them personally - what else are you going to be asking of them?

I mean, I can't even get someone to run CanCon for me this year. So despite the fact that I'll have a demolished house (happens Monday) and be overseeing construction of a new house, I'll be travelling to Canberra again for a 5th year as organiser of CanCon's BloodBowl event.

<whinge mode off>
(Of course, I'll have a great time once I'm there - but it's the stress before hand!!!!)

Be glad people are volunteering Chunky. And as good a calibre as Virral and Rabid_Bogscum.

Washed up old has been.
Ex-official GW Blood Bowl Rules Committee member
Ex-NAF Tournament Organiser, Australasia
Co-Author of the Feudball first novel.

ChunkyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 03, 2007 - 08:31 PM

What a load of crap Babs - that sort of attitude is exactly why we did Eucbowl in the first place, and a big part of the way your tourneys run. I have seen many tournaments for many different game systems, all run by volunteers and with a level of professionalism you believe is too difficult. FFS, at big conventions like Cancon and MOAB a lot of the organisation is done for you in terms of venue, prizes, entry processing etc. All you have to do is make up a ruleset, promote the event, then show up on the days in question and run things in a timely fashion - and you can't even manage that in any more than a half-arsed fashion.

Since we're in butting in with advice mode, here's some:

- Don't play in your own tourney - you're an extremely slow player with no consideration for how delays will affect other people (people do often have other things than BB they want to do when traveling to Sydney or Canberra you know), so when your game runs late, and then you have to enter results, its no wonder there tend to be plenty of people waiting around for hours for the next round to start. Further to this point, if you absolutely must play (to avoid a bye), play a joke race that will finish its games quickly so that you can go back to doing the important things like scores etc.

- Make decisions - don't piss around with polls and all the crap you keep doing. For a start, very few of the actual players check in here and look, as shown by the massive 14 people who voted in the last one. Just make a decision on what you want the philosophy of the event to be and make the call you think appropriate. If you want to get player feedback, then the month after the event is the time to do it, not a few months out from the actual event. I know you think of MOAB as experimental for Cancon, but MOAB itself should give you enough feedbackto make a call pretty quickly - assuming you're not playing and can go have a chat to the players throughout the event.

Get tough on undesirables - there have been a number of incidents that have occurred in your tourneys that you've done nothing about, to the detriment of the majority of the players. Take Trout for instance, who habitually shows up, is an incredibly bad sport, then pisses off after day one because he can't win now anyway, taking his sons with him - why has this bloke not been told sorry buddy, you're not welcome? I guarantee that for every one of these people you get rid of, there are a number who have been put off by playing them.

Get over the fixation on league tourneys - tourneys are not leagues, so don't try and run them as one. It massively increases the complexity of the job you have to do over the event, creates far more opportunity for people like the above to get away with something, and you still can't even decide on the right way to run them after all this practice. Make life easier for yourself and everyone else and switch to Resurrection. I've yet to hear anyone who has actually played a resurrection style tourney have anything bad to say about it. Let people who want to play leagues play in a league. SWL is only an internet connection away.

Either play two or three games on the final day or none - the one game on the last day is a complete waste of time. Either play two and make it worthwhile, or get rid of it and allow people to get home earlier. If someone lives far enough away that the extra time would matter, they'd likely prefer to play the extra game after driving all that way anyway, and try and get a days leave for the return journey.

Don't give multiple prizes to the same person, for any reason - spread the wealth, you'll send more people home even happier that way, and it actually provides some encouragement for people to have a go - particularly in the painting, where this tends to be the biggest problem. Having a main big painting prize, and then the smaller ones can go to others. This encourages the less talented painters/converters to get stuck in and have a go, which in turn means more dead sexy teams on the pitch, and the whole tourney look nicer as a result.

Ditch the whole painting votes thing - its takes too long, and is far too open to abuse, particularly since people are forced to cast their vote with everyone else watching - there will be some people intimidated into voting a way they may not have otherwise. If you must have a beauty pageant, have it after everyone has setup for game 5 after lunch on the second day. Give everyone a slip of paper with whatever things you want them to vote for, and have them go round and jot down their votes. Then when its done everyone can go back to their games with a minimum of fuss.

<long pent-up rant mode off>

I'm hoping Virral and Rabid will do an excellent job, and its certainly something I think they're capable of. I simply don't want Eucbowl being just another BB tourney - I want it to continue to be the best in Australia. Last years event was a disappointment from my perspective, as I wasn't able to follow the promotional effort I put into the first one into the second. Without the draw and marketing of a large convention to help out in this department, it really is essential, particularly in the area of promoting it outside of the existing Blood Bowl community, as that is where the ability to grow the games lies with there not being product readily available (as far as most people are concerned - most of them wouldn't know about Shadowforge - not to mention the only GW minis syndrome many have).

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic