NAF Logo
leftstar Apr 19, 2024 - 01:33 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Where would we be without Mungk? rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
DeathwingOffline
Post subject: NAF World Cup Q&A.  PostPosted: Jan 08, 2007 - 10:59 AM
Former President

England
Please feel free to post any questions here and we'll do our best to address them.
Thanks.

Reply with quote Back to top
GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject: RE: NAF World Cup Q&A.  PostPosted: Jan 08, 2007 - 11:11 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Our mogrel teams allowed? IE ... could there be a team NBA or team Impact!

Galak

DeathwingOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: NAF World Cup Q&A.  PostPosted: Jan 08, 2007 - 12:22 PM
Former President

England
      GalakStarscraper wrote:
Our mogrel teams allowed? IE ... could there be a team NBA or team Impact!

Galak

Tom,
Teams need to be representative of a nation. So there could in fact be several NBA teams: 'Team NBA, USA', ' Team NBA, England', 'Nuffle Blasphemers, Canada' etc. But no for true multinational 'mongrel' teams, although there's no reason not to allow an odd freebooter here and there (within reason).
In the specific (theoretical) case of a Team Impact; Ramsey, Ewan and Valen for example all have Scottish heritage, so we'd probably allow Team Impact!, Scotland consisting of those 3, two more Scots and A.N. Other (freebooter).

BevanOffline
Post subject: Miniatures  PostPosted: Jan 08, 2007 - 01:43 PM

Deathwing wrote:
All miniatures on all teams must be painted.. with a finished (flocked or sanded) base.

All my players have a green painted base but with no flock or sand. I have the number painted on the base and often renumber players when I redesign teams but any flock would prevent renumbering.

Are flocked/sanded bases really necessary, since it means all my 20 teams are illegal?

Deathwing wrote:
Miniatures must be representative of a fantasy football miniature

Many of my teams are WFB miniatures with the weapons clipped off, but no other changes, other than a football in the hand of Throwers and a glove on Catchers.

Do I need to stick shoulder pads on every model to make them a "football" miniature?

FrostOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 08, 2007 - 02:16 PM

We can change the race, of Friday to Saturday to play the tourney of teams?

If everybody plays the tourney of teams, we will have to be multiple of 6 for the individual tournament?

Thank you.

DeathwingOffline
Post subject: Re: Miniatures  PostPosted: Jan 08, 2007 - 02:57 PM
Former President

England
      Bevan wrote:

All my players have a green painted base but with no flock or sand. I have the number painted on the base and often renumber players when I redesign teams but any flock would prevent renumbering.

Are flocked/sanded bases really necessary, since it means all my 20 teams are illegal?

I honestly didn't forsee anybody having a problem with this upwards of 10 months in advance! Smile Yes, it is the required standard.
I'm failing to understand why flocking prevents renumbering. ( I quite often do the same myself. Not the best example (it'd need to be clearer for this event), but look at the elf 2nd from the left, the no 14 is pencilled on.)
A simple flock or sand with the number indicated on the rim shouldn't be beyond anybody's capability, and can be easily painted over and changed at any point in the future.

Quote:

Many of my teams are WFB miniatures with the weapons clipped off, but no other changes, other than a football in the hand of Throwers and a glove on Catchers.

Do I need to stick shoulder pads on every model to make them a "football" miniature?

No. Weapon snips, footballs and gloves are fine. What we won't allow are standard space marines complete with lascannons or other silliness like napoleonic grenadiers complete with muskets etc.

DeathwingOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 08, 2007 - 03:47 PM
Former President

England
      Frost wrote:
We can change the race, of Friday to Saturday to play the tourney of teams?

No, one race per coach for all 9 games. Skills carry over.

Quote:

If everybody plays the tourney of teams, we will have to be multiple of 6 for the individual tournament?

Everybody will play in the Team tourney. The individual tourney will count points from all 9 games. The Team tourney will count the points from all team members over the 6 games on Saturday and Sunday. There is only a need to be even numbers on Friday. However on Saturday and Sunday we will need to have multiples of 12 players. We will have spare players available to make sure this is possible.

Note: We are working on getting translations posted in the various different language forums. Hopefully this will make things clearer for those who don't have English as a first language.

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 08, 2007 - 06:36 PM

Undisclosed
Probably a stupid question, but is the WC an "open", or do you need to be a NAF member?

P.S. Can we get this up on the home page?

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

BevanOffline
Post subject: Team and individual sections  PostPosted: Jan 08, 2007 - 09:27 PM

Is it possible to have the 3 rounds of individual play on the 3rd day rather than the first?

Since "The onus is on coaches to get themselves organised into teams" we should not need the first day to sort out teams. There will still be freebooters needed on all days to replace sick, injured and dead coaches, so use the freebooter system from the start.

The proposed format, with the last two days in teams, will have the following effects.

The top coaches (i.e. those in the top 4-10 final placings) will probably never play each other because their teams will not be seeded against each other. A standard Swiss format would ensure that all the top coaches would have played each other so the winner would be a genuine best player, not just a winner on points. The Swiss pairing for teams will probably not pair up the teams with the best individual coaches.

It is possible that several coaches could finish the whole event undefeated, especially if they are in lower ranked teams.

The best way to do well in the individual event would be to get a group of beginners together to make a team. This team will drop to the bottom of the team grouping losing 5 of their games each time, so the best player in that group gets relatively easy matches throughout the tournament. In contrast, anyone who joins a good team will have hard matches throughout. So an average coach in a good team could lose every game, whereas an average coach in a weak team could win every game.

If the 3 individual rounds were held after the 2 days of team events then this would be enough to sort out the really good coaches from those that appeared competent only by being in lower ranked teams. It would also ensure that the best coaches did actually play against each other in the last few rounds.

XtremeOffline
Post subject: RE: Team and individual sections  PostPosted: Jan 09, 2007 - 12:43 AM
Da Boss

United States of America
What airport should I be looking to arrive in?
Any idea when we may have more accommodation details?

DeathwingOffline
Post subject: Re: Team and individual sections  PostPosted: Jan 09, 2007 - 03:46 PM
Former President

England
      Bevan wrote:
Is it possible to have the 3 rounds of individual play on the 3rd day rather than the first?

Since "The onus is on coaches to get themselves organised into teams" we should not need the first day to sort out teams. There will still be freebooters needed on all days to replace sick, injured and dead coaches, so use the freebooter system from the start.

It's simply not practical Bevan. It's usual to have anywhere between 5 and 10% no-shows. Hopefully it'll be less than the norm for the WC, but things inevitably crop up and cause last minute drop outs. 5% represents a significant number on a tourney of this scale and would involve a large amount of reorganisation for the team event (remember we need multiples of 12 for the team event). Of course we may lose a coach or two during the event, but bringing in the odd subsistute on Sat or Sun is a completely different thing.
In short, we do need both the first day (and probably a lot of the first evening), attempting to do it in a rush at the same time as registering 200-250+ players prior to start of play on Day 1 is a recipe for disaster. At the end of the day we have both a schedule to keep and a responsiblity to run this event smoothly.

Quote:

The proposed format, with the last two days in teams, will have the following effects.

The top coaches (i.e. those in the top 4-10 final placings) will probably never play each other because their teams will not be seeded against each other. A standard Swiss format would ensure that all the top coaches would have played each other so the winner would be a genuine best player, not just a winner on points. The Swiss pairing for teams will probably not pair up the teams with the best individual coaches.

It is possible that several coaches could finish the whole event undefeated, especially if they are in lower ranked teams.

The best way to do well in the individual event would be to get a group of beginners together to make a team. This team will drop to the bottom of the team grouping losing 5 of their games each time, so the best player in that group gets relatively easy matches throughout the tournament. In contrast, anyone who joins a good team will have hard matches throughout. So an average coach in a good team could lose every game, whereas an average coach in a weak team could win every game.

Hypothetical scenario:
A really good coach forms a team consisting of himself and 5 no-hopers to try and abuse the format.
Said coach would need to find the 5 of the worst players at the event, and hope that none of them upset the applecart by beating any of the other 'weak' coaches in the 'weak' teams they are liable to meet, therefore lifting his team away from the bottom tables. He'd also have to hope that he doesn't come across any other teams towards the bottom end that contain any other 'good' coaches.
Given that no team will play another team twice, teams will find themselves against higher or lower opposition than the nearest pure points match during any given round. Odds are he'd end up playing the best player from a 'strong' team playing on a table below their 'true' position.
Without going into the other myriad details, such a strategy would depend on so many factors that are completely beyond the hypothetical coach's control (including a vast amount of luck!) that no 'strong' BB coach would consider it a viable tactic anyway.

One last thing, the format is not 'proposed' (while we may yet tweak minor details), it's the format that the event will be following.

DeathwingOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Team and individual sections  PostPosted: Jan 09, 2007 - 03:52 PM
Former President

England
      Xtreme wrote:
What airport should I be looking to arrive in?
Any idea when we may have more accommodation details?

Accommodation still undergoing discussion pending enquiries, numbers etc. In due course is about all I can give you at this point Bryan, sorry.

As for airports, the main transatlantic ones are much of a muchness in that they are all relatively close to London anyway. OMM is probably in the best position to advise on that front.

CasperOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Team and individual sections  PostPosted: Jan 09, 2007 - 05:02 PM

No inducements, eh?
Not even for halflings/gobos?
If (some) inducements are allowed for those little guys, we will have en greater chance of seeing a few teams of those races, and they always makes tounaments funnier, so having them (or even encouraging those races) would be a good thing (IMO anyway).

LongshotOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Team and individual sections  PostPosted: Jan 10, 2007 - 08:59 AM

What about Painting contest? will there be multiple awards? Can we bring a team/miniature of somebody who doesnt come to compete to it?

DaveOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Team and individual sections  PostPosted: Jan 10, 2007 - 12:34 PM
da Veiz-Prez

Netherlands
amen to caspar .. not even a master chef for those challenged in height (no not you ramsay)

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic