NAF Logo
leftstar May 18, 2024 - 03:14 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
The High Elf team is overpowered. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
SBGOffline
Post subject: Problems with Static Grass  PostPosted: Apr 07, 2003 - 04:12 PM

Canada
Hi guys !

I've seen beautiful pics of minis based with Static Grass, where the grass was actually "standing up", if you can see what I mean.

I am totally unable to do so ! How do you do ? My static grass just clutters on the base, not creating that effect of minis' feet lost in the grass.

Help !

Fred

Reply with quote Back to top
KhailOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 07, 2003 - 05:54 PM

United States of America
After applying a liberal amount of static grass to the glue coated base, hold the mini upside down and tap on the bottom of the base a couple of times, stands the grass up some =)

Commissioner
Rat City Blood Bowl League
Seattle, WA

SquiggothOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 08, 2003 - 01:32 AM

Yup, and do not use pva that's been watered down too much, the thicker the glue the more the grass will stand upright.

Martijn

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
DaveOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 11, 2003 - 06:37 AM
da Veiz-Prez

Netherlands
super glue works better IMHO

SquiggothOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 14, 2003 - 01:32 AM

Yes, but superglue has this freakin' annoying habit of turning white when it dries. Not all the time, but 50% or so. And as long as I don't know what's causing that, I won't be using it on painted mini's...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 14, 2003 - 04:48 AM

England
You can get something to spray on super glue to prevent it going white. Don't know what it's called, but the 'Eavy Metal team use it. Saw this at Games Day UK a few years back.
Used super glue for static grass once. Ended up with white finger like crystals growing all over it. Very pretty, but not what I wanted on my Vampire Counts black coach.

SquiggothOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 15, 2003 - 01:55 AM

Mmm... Perhaps they use some kindof spray varnish? I'll stick to my wood glue, I guess...

MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 15, 2003 - 04:16 AM

England
It's not varnish, it's a pump action spray bottle with some sort of colourless solvent which helps the glue dry better. Even if I knew what it was I'd stick to my wood glue too. Super glue is far too expensive to use all the time for static grass.

Be nice to know what it was for repairs though. Confused

ZergoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 16, 2003 - 05:31 PM

I think part of the trick is to almost "douse" the base in the grass. I know that's not the right word, but put a lot on it. I had the problem where the sides of the grass were getting glued down to the base, so nothing would stand up. If you dump a whole bunch on there, your chances of just getting the tips glued down seem better. Then again, maybe I'm the crazy one...

-Zergo

SquiggothOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 17, 2003 - 04:25 AM

Nope, you might be right with that I guess... And holding the mini upside down to tap off the grass helps a bit, too. But eventually, I think it all comes down to the fact that the glue shrinks somewhat when it dries, therefore pulling the grass together.

SBGOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 23, 2003 - 08:10 AM

Canada
I've made a few tries since I posted this, and have another question for you guys:

What's better: dipping the mini in the Static Grass or sprinkling the Static Grass over the mini?

Fred

IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 23, 2003 - 08:55 AM
Da Warboss

England
hold it upside down then dunk it in the bag. Still holding it upside down in the bag, tap the base - this removes excess and helps it stand up some. Next, take it out the bag and CLOSE THE BAG (important).

Now, holding upside down, blow gently across it - this makes it stand up. If you blow too hard (*ahem*) then turn it around and blow the other way Embarassed

The important part is to close the bag, cos believe me if you blow into a bag of static grass the stuff goes everywhere and it stings if it gets in yer eyes.

bizarrely, GW purity seal makes the grass stand up really well, although it makes your minis too shiny IMO. When using the superglue on the base, just use a small dot as it WILL spread out and hold more grass than you think!

NAF #60

SquiggothOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 25, 2003 - 05:04 AM

I always plunk a clump grass on the base and tap away the excess grass - dipping minis upside down in bags of glass fibers is frustrating to say the least...

IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 25, 2003 - 06:01 AM
Da Warboss

England
actually, I hold them "by the mini" when dunking, then turn them upside down outside, otherwise squiggoth's right - it can be way too fiddly.

NAF #60

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic