NAF Logo
leftstar Apr 27, 2024 - 11:21 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Any day now. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Should the NAF approve tournaments where cash prizes are being offered?
Yes, this is the direction the NAF should head in as it supports better quality tournaments.
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
No, this will make the game more 'professional' and destroy the friendly quality of matches.
69%
 69%  [ 34 ]
The NAF should not take a stand on this issue but approve such a tournament anyway.
24%
 24%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 49

Old_Man_MonkeyOffline
Post subject: Cash prizes at NAF-sanctioned tournaments. Yes or No?  PostPosted: Feb 20, 2007 - 05:59 AM

Undisclosed
An old but relevant question arose among the NAF staff during World Cup discussions: If a Tournamnet Organizer offers cash prizes as part of their tournament submission, should the NAF approve such a tourney i.e., should the offering of money be banned or approved, from the NAF tournament scene?

Traditionally, cash prizes have been discouraged but it is an important issue and one the membership should ultimately decide. So for your discussion and voting, the following poll.

Reply with quote Back to top
SpazzfistOffline
Post subject: RE: Cash prizes at NAF-sanctioned tournaments. Yes or No?  PostPosted: Feb 20, 2007 - 07:06 AM

Canada
I would hate to see tourneys go this route. When money becomes involved then things get much more serious. Incidents of cheating (supposed or genuine) become a much more serious issue, and to my mind a lot of fun would be taken out of the game.

I go to the tourneys because I enjoy meeting with old friends and playing the game I love. I would hate to think that other people would go to tourneys only for the lure of money.

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

lauth81Offline
Post subject: RE: Cash prizes at NAF-sanctioned tournaments. Yes or No?  PostPosted: Feb 20, 2007 - 07:39 AM

Germany
no cash prizes!

I like tourneys to have giveaways for everybody, not cash prizes for making places 1, 2, 3 ...

nyarlathotepOffline
Post subject: RE: Cash prizes at NAF-sanctioned tournaments. Yes or No?  PostPosted: Feb 20, 2007 - 07:53 AM
Mekboy

I would not like to see cash prizes.

My Tournament Record

bampfOffline
Post subject: RE: Cash prizes at NAF-sanctioned tournaments. Yes or No?  PostPosted: Feb 20, 2007 - 01:42 PM

It s funny, many tourneys give painted teams or rare minis as prizes. All of which can be quickly turned to cash with a few clicks on eBay, but there s just a whole different feel about giving an actual cash prize. I emphatically vote No on cash prizes even though the difference is almost semantic. It just changes the whole feel of the environment... would make things seems so much more... mercenary.

Clan_SkavenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 20, 2007 - 01:56 PM

Niagara Falls ON, Canada
I hear what bampf is saying, I myself voted the 3rd option...

Leave up to the tourney Orginisor to decide if he wants to shell out cash or not.

But I see what Spazz is saying as well, there has been debates on people using crooked dice & bending of rules & so on. So I could see some people removing the fun from the game ^& playing just for the cash.

But should the NAF not approve a Tourney where the Organisor had Cash prizes, my answer is no. As long as all the criteria of the rules were legit then why ban a tourney cause of the prizes.

Just remember those Skink Cheerleaders & Resurection Gutter Runners go for a pretty penny on ebay.

So if I win $50 for winning a tourney that gets banned by NAF for having cash prizes , but make $150 from ebay off of a mini I won at an approved NAF tourney for not having cash prizes, tell me wheres the logic?

Rod

Host of the Warpstone Cup, Q'ermitt Bowl & the Hope Bowl

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 20, 2007 - 02:52 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

I agree with Rod.

I don't think the NAF should specifically encourage or not encourage this format. Ebay makes many of the items given at touranments very easy to convert to cash ... and I've often been guilty of cash conversions of items from events.

I will be up front that I have a slanted view on this. I had planned for the South Bend Slaughter, Street Party, and GenCon Bowl this year to give away Impact! gift certificates as we'll have fully stocked stores at each event. So while I could easily give out minis only for these events ... I liked the idea of giving out gift certificates.

Tom

ColinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 20, 2007 - 04:58 PM

I don't really consider gift certificates the same as cash, they are only redeemable at one place or for certain things. Giving away cash is kind of lazy, if you have the cash, go out and buy some prizes.

angryrobOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 20, 2007 - 07:59 PM

its nice to have the prize suit the game, so unless you're going to give 40 or 50k for winning a match, i'd rather just get some minis Very Happy

who an i kidding i have not won jack at a tourney, i cant even win the respect of my peers

DeathwingOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 21, 2007 - 03:32 AM
Former President

England
Galak, we're talking about cold hard cash here as opposed to vouchers/gift certificates (which are, I agree with Torg, a different thing altogether).

I think Rod's got the crux of it, obviously any prizes given away are going to have some sort of monetary value which the recipient could always turn into cash (via ebay or whatever) if he or she so desires, but what we're trying to establish here is the how the membership feels about the difference between that and winning a cash prize directly.

Speaking purely as a coach, I personally see it as significant.

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 21, 2007 - 05:53 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Deathwing wrote:
Galak, we're talking about cold hard cash here as opposed to vouchers/gift certificates (which are, I agree with Torg, a different thing altogether)..
Okay if they are different ... then I switch my vote to not endorsing them. I agree with the comment if you have the cash ... spend it on prizes which support the Hobby.

Honestly spending the cash with GW, Shadowforge, Tritex, or Impact! to get some cool stuff (and we do work out deals with tournaments so they can purchase cool stuff at a discount) is a much better way to keep the hobby alive and would be the option I would encourage.

Galak

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 21, 2007 - 05:56 AM

Canada
      GalakStarscraper wrote:
Honestly spending the cash with GW, Shadowforge, Tritex, or Impact! to get some cool stuff (and we do work out deals with tournaments so they can purchase cool stuff at a discount) is a much better way to keep the hobby alive and would be the option I would encourage.

I highly agree with this point. Cash can be spent anywhere, and while the gift certificate amy have a dollar value, at least this way you are trying to ensure that the focus is on promoting the hobby.

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 21, 2007 - 06:35 AM

Canada
      angryrob wrote:
its nice to have the prize suit the game, so unless you're going to give 40 or 50k for winning a match, i'd rather just get some minis Very Happy

who an i kidding i have not won jack at a tourney, i cant even win the respect of my peers

I respect you rob Very Happy

I agree with the general consensus about giving prizes not cash. It just feels so much better.

Although I am for freedom in general so I would not want to ban someone for offering cold hard cash, it just wouldn't excite me much. As I can find reasons not to buy models, but winning them, thats ok Wink

galakstarscraper wrote:
Honestly spending the cash with GW, Shadowforge, Tritex, or Impact! to get some cool stuff (and we do work out deals with tournaments so they can purchase cool stuff at a discount)

I Like the sound of this "deals" concept, we should chat about prizes for Deathbowl V: The Year of the Ogre. Are you tought enough?

Joe

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 21, 2007 - 06:59 AM

Canada
      Notorious_jtb wrote:
I Like the sound of this "deals" concept, we should chat about prizes for Deathbowl V: The Year of the Ogre. Are you tought enough?

I dunno about Galak, but I'm plenty "tought"! Smile

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 21, 2007 - 07:08 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Notorious_jtb wrote:
      galakstarscraper wrote:
Honestly spending the cash with GW, Shadowforge, Tritex, or Impact! to get some cool stuff (and we do work out deals with tournaments so they can purchase cool stuff at a discount)

Joe
Email me at partners@impactminiatures.com and I can tell you what our offer is at present.

Galak

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic