NAF Logo
leftstar Apr 28, 2024 - 07:11 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Gentleman, start your chainsaws. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Should the NAF approve tournaments where cash prizes are being offered?
Yes, this is the direction the NAF should head in as it supports better quality tournaments.
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
No, this will make the game more 'professional' and destroy the friendly quality of matches.
69%
 69%  [ 34 ]
The NAF should not take a stand on this issue but approve such a tournament anyway.
24%
 24%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 49

Clan_SkavenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 21, 2007 - 08:02 AM

Niagara Falls ON, Canada
I myself would rather see mini's or other prizes over cash as well, but if for whatever reason a coach was to have cash as a prize at a tourney, I do not think his tourney should be banned from the NAF. (if those of us do not like the idea of playing in a cash prize tourney then don't go to it, but don't screw it for others that may want to go for that reason)

I have toyed with the idea that a dollar from everyone's entry fee goes to a side pot & the 1st person in the tourney to roll a a triple skull gets the pot, but thats not a huge amount, 16 coaches $16.00

More on the orriginal question, lets not tell coaches how to run a tourney (I like the idea that different tourneys have different flavor, (chocolate icecream is great, but once in awhile a scoop of vanilla is a nice change))

just my 2 cents , Rod.

Host of the Warpstone Cup, Q'ermitt Bowl & the Hope Bowl

Reply with quote Back to top
SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 21, 2007 - 08:26 AM

Canada
      Clan-Skaven wrote:

More on the orriginal question, lets not tell coaches how to run a tourney (I like the idea that different tourneys have different flavor, (chocolate icecream is great, but once in awhile a scoop of vanilla is a nice change))

just my 2 cents , Rod.

I undestand youe metaphor, but when tourneys offer so many different flavours, one should not have to settle for vanilla. There are enough ways to run a tourney without having to spoil the event with cash prizes.

BTW - when someone gives their "two cents", but it is only "a penny for your thoughts" where does the extra money go? Wink

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 21, 2007 - 10:09 AM

Canada
      Spazzfist wrote:
      Notorious_jtb wrote:
I Like the sound of this "deals" concept, we should chat about prizes for Deathbowl V: The Year of the Ogre. Are you tought enough?

I dunno about Galak, but I'm plenty "tought"! Smile

sigh, and I try so hard Crying or Very sad
Obviously I'm not tought enough.

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 21, 2007 - 10:55 AM

Undisclosed
Flat out "NO" from me.

Imo, as soon as you start offering cash (mini's and certificates are different to my mind), a lot of the fun goes out of a tournament, which is the major reason I attend tourneys in the first place.
I also feel that if you start offering cash, more of the rules-lawyers will come out of the woodwork.

So personally, I don't think the NAF should authorise one, but if they did, I for one wouldn't even consider attending.

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

Clan_SkavenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 21, 2007 - 11:08 AM

Niagara Falls ON, Canada
      Spazzfist wrote:
      Clan-Skaven wrote:

just my 2 cents , Rod.

I undestand youe metaphor, but when tourneys offer so many different flavours, one should not have to settle for vanilla. There are enough ways to run a tourney without having to spoil the event with cash prizes.

BTW - when someone gives their "two cents", but it is only "a penny for your thoughts" where does the extra money go? Wink

Man you missed the entire point entirely.... Do you even read the posts at all?

How is it spoiling the tournament if the people involved want or prefer that for prizes, if it is desired let those people be & have it. It is not for me or you or whoever to say how others run tourneys or what kind of tourneys some may like when it comes to cash prizes.

Even if the majority of NAF users do not like the idea of cash prize tourneys, (& if only a few would prefer to have such a tourney) I do not think NAF, myself, or anyone else should tell them thier tourney can not be NAF approved untill they drop the cash prizes.

Whats next? Telling coaches that thier tourney can not be NAF approved unless only GW gameboards are used (no custom pitches) ????

& no I'm not suggesting that, I'm just using that as an example.....

Classic example, I despise BB 7's & hate it in tourneys, but am I saying that tourney's with BB 7's rounds should not be NAF approved? NO I'm not.

Just cause you do not like a diferent structure or format or prize/cash awards, does not give you or anyone the right to tell others that if they do it that way it won't be approved.

So fine , NAF don't promote a cash prize system (fair enuff) but do not forbid it either if thats what others want (no matter how many they are)

Rod

Clan_SkavenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 21, 2007 - 11:14 AM

Niagara Falls ON, Canada
      Darkson wrote:

So personally, I don't think the NAF should authorise one, but if they did, I for one wouldn't even consider attending.

Thats fine & I understand what you mean , myself personally I probably would not either, but the point I'm trying to make is, if others want that (tourney organisor's & attending Coahes) then how does it hurt those who chose not to attend? (It doesn't)

I really do not think you will see that many anyway (judging by the poll results) , but for those that would want cash prizes in a tourney should not be punnished because others disaprove.

Rod

longfangOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 21, 2007 - 11:58 AM

Naf sanctioning is more aimed at tournements which will encourage players to behave within the spirit of the game. A cash prize or voucher the value of a few figs or team probably isn't going to threaten the way the players act but a large cash prize will attract certain types of people to take up the game. What needs to be avoided are situations where rules are argued over and the game is played in an unsporting or unenjoyable way. Can you imagine a final played where the winner gets say £100, to some people winning that will be important, to others it won't as being a Tourney winner will be more important. What if one coach says "you can have 75% of the winnings if I can win the tourny". Large cash prizes are not the way to go if you want to keep the tourny scene as enjoable as it is today.

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 21, 2007 - 12:16 PM

Canada
      Clan-Skaven wrote:

Charming as ever.... Rolling Eyes

Yeah, I read your posts, for what they are worth. A lot of blah blah blah! Razz

But my point was (which you obviously chose to ignore) is that there are so many possibilities for running a tourney, that we should not have to even consider cash prizes. Cash prizes do not promote the hobby or give a different version of the game. 7's and custom boards do. So as usual, your arguments are invalid. Razz Cool

Clan_SkavenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 21, 2007 - 01:10 PM

Niagara Falls ON, Canada
      Spazzfist wrote:
      Clan-Skaven wrote:

But my point was (which you obviously chose to ignore) is that there are so many possibilities for running a tourney, that we should not have to even consider cash prizes. Cash prizes do not promote the hobby or give a different version of the game. 7's and custom boards do. So as usual, your arguments are invalid. Razz Cool

Invalid??? your "CENSORED"!!!

Clan_SkavenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 21, 2007 - 01:13 PM

Niagara Falls ON, Canada
      longfang wrote:
Naf sanctioning is more aimed at tournements which will encourage players to behave within the spirit of the game. A cash prize or voucher the value of a few figs or team probably isn't going to threaten the way the players act but a large cash prize will attract certain types of people to take up the game. What needs to be avoided are situations where rules are argued over and the game is played in an unsporting or unenjoyable way. Can you imagine a final played where the winner gets say £100, to some people winning that will be important, to others it won't as being a Tourney winner will be more important. What if one coach says "you can have 75% of the winnings if I can win the tourny". Large cash prizes are not the way to go if you want to keep the tourny scene as enjoable as it is today.

I see what you are saying, but I just cant see how if a group is ok with how the prize system is & everyone who goes knows that it will be that way. If they are all in agreeance that thats how they want THIER tourney, then who are we to say it's wrong?

Rod

angryrobOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 21, 2007 - 01:24 PM

I voted no because with certain rules(ie. cocked dice, annoucing actions, etc) it would be a nightmare. mind you i can be a real rules nazi if i need to be.
In a tournament setting it would not work well in my opinion, to many different types of people for a serious cash based game. cash makes people crazy and i'd hate to see a bloodbowl tourney end with people "throwing hands" instead of throwing dice.
if you want a money game play poker.

Clan_SkavenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 21, 2007 - 01:25 PM

Niagara Falls ON, Canada
      Spazzfist wrote:
      Clan-Skaven wrote:

I'm trying to speak in the behalf of another party (not my own beliefs) but I at least am trying to be open minded about the whole topic. (When I stated if others wanted to run a tourney where there was a cash prize & all those in attendance wanted it) Then how is it spoiling the tourney??? WHAT CAUSE YOU DON"T LIKE IT, ITS WRONG !!!? If all in attendance is in favor, how can the tourney be spoiled?

Rod

Last edited by Clan_Skaven on Feb 21, 2007 - 01:31 PM; edited 1 time in total

Clan_SkavenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 21, 2007 - 01:30 PM

Niagara Falls ON, Canada
      angryrob wrote:
I voted no because with certain rules(ie. cocked dice, annoucing actions, etc) it would be a nightmare. mind you i can be a real rules nazi if i need to be.
In a tournament setting it would not work well in my opinion, to many different types of people for a serious cash based game. cash makes people crazy and i'd hate to see a bloodbowl tourney end with people "throwing hands" instead of throwing dice.
if you want a money game play poker.

I agree with you that I would not run or play in a cash prize tourney, but for anyone who wants to have one, I say if you can get enuff interested than go with it.... (but apparently, I'm the only one here who thinks that people should have free will to run or participate in thier own tourney as they see fit.)

Rod

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 21, 2007 - 02:05 PM

Canada
We interrupt the currently scheduled "Clan-Skaven's Marathon Rant" for the following announcement

All we need to do is look at the votes. Currently it is 1-26-7. That means the "no vote" has more than three times as many votes as the other two combined.

'Nuff said.

We now take you back to Clan-Skaven's Marathon Rant

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......

Clan_SkavenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 21, 2007 - 02:13 PM

Niagara Falls ON, Canada
      Spazzfist wrote:
We interrupt the currently scheduled "Clan-Skaven's Marathon Rant" for the following announcement

All we need to do is look at the votes. Currently it is 1-26-7. That means the "no vote" has more than three times as many votes as the other two combined.

'Nuff said.

We now take you back to Clan-Skaven's Marathon Rant

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......

Ok ZOMBIE!

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic