NAF Logo
leftstar Mar 29, 2024 - 08:50 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Smashed Collar Bone! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Which NAF WC team do you prefer?
Antipixi's Norse/Chaos
21%
 21%  [ 25 ]
Glorian's ' armour style' concept
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Jabo's 'cartoon' style
38%
 38%  [ 45 ]
Mordredd's amazon/human idea
9%
 9%  [ 11 ]
Alex's Spartans
22%
 22%  [ 26 ]
Axtklinge's British/Celtic
7%
 7%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 117

DeathwingOffline
Post subject: World Cup minis POLL CLOSED.  PostPosted: Mar 27, 2007 - 12:16 PM
Former President

England
From antipixi:

Some RL shots from (and of!) Glorian:

Some cartoon style from Jabo:

Comments welcome.

Last edited by Deathwing on Apr 24, 2007 - 12:11 AM; edited 6 times in total

Reply with quote Back to top
GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 27, 2007 - 12:44 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Deathwing wrote:
Comments welcome.

YES!!! ... I love it ... the pizza box team ... truely this will be the greatest team ever designed.

I see cheese at the line mixed with anchoive for foul appearance bonuses. Pepperoni as Blitzer as its the super star of the topping (at least according to latest USA poll of pizza establishments for sales) ... and I'm thinking Sausage as the Blocker (since nothing blocks arteries like good old sausage).

It has my vote!!!

Laughing

Okay ... that said .. Woody when you get a chance ... none of the image links are working my friend.

Galak

LycosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 27, 2007 - 02:09 PM
Former President

Undisclosed
I have to laugh with Galak here....... none of those links work Woody!

DeathwingOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 27, 2007 - 03:29 PM
Former President

England
OK.. my bad.. I'll upload elsewhere and edit the links.. guess they were sitting in my cache. Embarassed

antipixiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 28, 2007 - 07:04 AM

Bedford, UK
I thought since my pictures (at the time of writing this currently not visible) are very quick and poor quality, I'd make a comment about the concept behind them.

Code:
My concept

The idea is simple really and I am aware not entirely new. "Hairy humans" or at least ones wearing some fur. The idea being that they are then much more versatile than a pure humans in armour type team whilst still allowing them to be used as such.

By adding fur over the shoulders and a ragged leather loin cloth they can be used as human, chaos humans (often pleaded for and house ruled everywhere), as alternative Norse models or as marauders for the chaos pact team (as I'm sure you know a forerunner in the play-tested maybe teams for future officialdom).

For the miniatures (i.e. the sketches attached) I put closed helms and quite chunky armour along with the fur and loin cloth. I think that this gives them a more foreboding look than with open helm and also implies something hidden underneath (mutation?). I also though that a variety of different horns would be more interesting than just the standard cow horn helm seen in inaccurate viking pictures. So, goats horns, a unicorn horn maybe, no horn, etc. This would then mean that a models main body with a different horned helmet could cut production time and costs. (After all GW do it!) And finally, I thought that for the linemen (the less flamboyant types) ever so slightly longer arms giving a bit of a primitive look. A bit like the way orcs are made to look like powerful primates, but less defined and without the stoop to the shoulders, therefore giving the lineman a look of raw power but not without some intellect of the upright man.

I must admit to being partly inspired by Norse's avatar on the impact forum. Anyway, hopefully that puts the poor quality sketches into context. (After all they only took about 30 mins to draw.) Wink

NorseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 28, 2007 - 08:17 AM

United States of America
      antipixi wrote:

I must admit to being partly inspired by Norse's avatar on the impact forum. Wink

shucks! Embarassed Cool

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 28, 2007 - 08:44 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Alex will be sending you in a team design based on the movie 300 ... he promised to have it in by the end of this week. Just wanted to let you know Jim (OMM) that you should be watching your email for it!!!!

Galak

antipixiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 28, 2007 - 09:52 AM

Bedford, UK
      GalakStarscraper wrote:
Alex will be sending you in a team design based on the movie 300 ... he promised to have it in by the end of this week. Just wanted to let you know Jim (OMM) that you should be watching your email for it!!!!

Galak

I saw the movie last night and spent time today thinking about how to convert such a team. If his ideas match the ones I've had then I might end up voting against myself! Rolling Eyes

DeathwingOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 02, 2007 - 09:51 AM
Former President

England
From Mordredd:

From Alex:

MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 02, 2007 - 12:29 PM

England
I think that my concept needs a little fleshing out. I only had the time to do the two pictures (my pen-and-paper art skills aren't so good so the pictures above were done by modifying traces of comic book characters and are somewhat incomplete).

Anyway, here's what I wrote in my email to OMM by way of explanation, with the pictures added in.

Quote:
Basically it's an Amazon team in the same mould as the new Humans, but with a little less armour and no helmets (they've got to look AV7 to the Humans' AV8).

The Blitzers would be a little taller and much more muscle-bound than the rest, with some appropriately wild hair, to make them easily distinguishable from the rest (see picture). In other words your "alpha-male" Amazon-warrior bodybuilder stereotype.

The Throwers and Catchers could be less armoured than the rest of the team, as with the regular Human team; perhaps with bare feet and lower leg, and long free-flowing hair to add dynamism to their poses (see other picture).

Linewomen would have short spiked or braided hair; something that's hard to grab in the LOS scrum.

The positions would have similar poses to their Human team counterparts; so Blitzers charging, Catchers catching and so on. Again, to aid in distinguishing the positions.

All the players would have armour on at least thighs, chest and one shoulder. Blitzers and Linewomen would have armoured shin guards, solid BB boots (not 6" heels, not Goddamn *&%$! platformed hooker boots, but proper play a game of football without breaking your own ankle BB boots), some spiked gloves etc.

A link with the current Amazon team could be made by adding a small amount of suitable jewellery and good-luck charms; feathers and the like.

Anyway, I hope that's enough detail to illustrate the concept sufficiently for folks.

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 03, 2007 - 11:56 AM

Undisclosed
Of the concepts, I like antipixi's the best, because:
a) I want a decent looking Chaos team
b) Much as Alex's Spartan's look good, I'd perfer a roman team.Wink

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

AxtklingeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 04, 2007 - 12:03 PM

Portugal
Hi!
Here it goes my entry.
As the first NAF world cup I thought it might be interesting to do a thematic team based on the cultural background of the place where it all started...
The idea was to capture the mostly known skills each of the folks who live there are known for.
As such, the Scotish (in kilt) would be either the runners or the catchers (they were know for their hit&run attacks to romans...), the Irish would be blitzers (known for their fighting abilities), and the English knights would be the blockers (heavy armour).
The rest of the team might be peasant (lineman).
I hope you like it.

Cheers
Axt

DeathwingOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 11, 2007 - 12:35 PM
Former President

England
Poll now running. Time is a constraint so the poll will run for one week only, finishing Weds 18th April.
Please note that (in the absence of any kind of consensus or clear winner) we won't necessarily go with the poll 'leader' on the 18th, this is not a definiative poll at this point.

Stating who you voted for below is strongly encouraged. Smile

nyarlathotepOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 11, 2007 - 01:07 PM
Mekboy

It won't let me vote.

If it would have let me vote, I would have voted for Antipixi's team. 'cause they're nifty.

My Tournament Record

DeathwingOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 11, 2007 - 03:36 PM
Former President

England
      nyarlathotep wrote:
It won't let me vote.

If it would have let me vote, I would have voted for Antipixi's team. 'cause they're nifty.

Modified the time the poll runs for... seems to work for me. Try again.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic