NAF Logo
leftstar May 10, 2024 - 11:58 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Max Kneecap Mittleman found dead. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
StratfordOffline
Post subject: Flings Skills???  PostPosted: Apr 13, 2007 - 01:27 AM

Undisclosed

Any advice on what to give my halflings and treeman for skill increases?? Ive only played a couple of times with these little fellas and it seems that side step would be good. Any advice is appeciated...

Reply with quote Back to top
CramyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 13, 2007 - 10:16 AM

Canada
Flings:
On doubles, get one or two flings with Sure Hands. Block is good. So is Dirty Player, but I think that's more for fun than anything else.
A few with Side Step, especially if they already have Block. The use of this is pretty obvious.
A couple with Catch. These are your guys that stay next to the treemen, ready for the TTM play. Your Fling with Sure Hands picks-up the ball, runs to the Catch fling and hands-off to him. With Catch, Sprint and later Sure Feet help for the TTM play too.
A bunch with Diving Tackle, which combines well with Side Step. Side Step, Diving Tackle flings on defense means that if they try to blitz through you and don't make you fall, they risk being stuck there or fall over when dodging away. Having a bunch of these guys working in pairs works good.

For the Treemen, it's a bit more complicated. On doubles, I like to give one Tree Pass, and the other tree block. But that depends on how often you use the TTM play. Pro can be good to, as it can be used for blocking and passing, but is not reliable.
On a normal roll, I have picked Multiple Block in the past. With ST6, it's quite good against ST3 players. Grab would also be good, especially if you have taken root. You can keep your opponent in your TZ until the drive ends or he dies. Multiple Block and Grab together is quite nasty. My trees have never evolved to get 2 skills though, so I have not been able to try the combo.

TTM play: keep your rerolls for the fling landing, as there are no skills to help with that. All other actions that you need to take have a skill that give a reroll or add modifiers, so get those (i.e. sure hands, catch, sure feet for Flings, Pass and/or Pro for the Treemen).

Hope this helps.

Cramy

StratfordOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 12, 2007 - 09:41 PM

Undisclosed

thx that all sounds good to me

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 13, 2007 - 10:12 PM

Canada
On doubles, give one of the halflings hail mary pass! Then tool up a few others with diving catch and you have a team that will give your opponent a panic attack!

Side Step is my favourite non-doubles for the flings.

As for the trees - it has to be block on doubles for them. They do all the hitting, and take a lot of hits. They are apain to stand up so you want them to stay on their feet as much as possible.

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

bampfOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 13, 2007 - 10:20 PM

A couple of key ommisions in Cramy s post. Jump Up is a great skill for flings (especially when combined with Sure feet and sprint), giving them great range... especially after being thrown by a tree... even if you flub the landing as long as your armor holds (I know unlikely, but it happens) you have full range to get downfield/blitz/whatever.

Doubles on flings screams Strip Ball and Guard to me. Stunty means cages are useless and even St2 blitzes can be dangerous when combined with Strip Ball and a stunty Guarder. I never give sure hands or catch to flings as typically you are awash in Team RRs thanks to the Chef. I also take Kick on doubles as soon as possible (I always have kick before I take Block). Kick can be a game changer. Deep or sideline kicks means few offensive players near the ball. A flubbed pickup (which happens 11% of the time for most teams) combined with TTM... and you have a good shot at a defensive one turn score! Stunty also works wonders when you get a Blitz on Kick-off results.

For Trees, Pass is excellent. Pro used to be great in LRB4, but in LRB5 is nearly a wasted skill since basically every big guy comes with Pro. Block is always nice, but less critical with St6 since it s much easier to get 3D Blocks. Multiple block is nice if your tree gets Block on a double but without block you re just increasing your chances of turnovers due to blocks.

Juggernaut and Break Tackle are a decent combo but MA2 means expect to throw a lot 2+ d6 rolls with a Loner as you dodge and GFI. More a desperation move than anything.

StratfordOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 01, 2007 - 03:44 AM

Undisclosed

thx for the tips ill post how i go in the local league when i get some bloody skills!!!

StratfordOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 23, 2007 - 04:48 PM

Undisclosed

I ended up using humans in the league with great effect as i am in the finals series now but if they dont win the championship then ill be playing flings.

I just wanna clarify some rules with TTM. If my tree is in a TZ and i want to throw a fling full distance what would be the roll required to make the pass? is it anything but a 1 because the throw is always inaccurate and a one always fumbles or do the modifiers add up to make the fumble a 2 or 3. ive been told a few different ways and i cant seem to find which is right. Help is apreciated, thx guys

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 24, 2007 - 04:31 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
TZ on the thrower each give a -1 to the pass roll - so throwing a quick pass in 2 TZ would fumble on 1,2 or 3.

StratfordOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 01, 2007 - 06:56 AM

Undisclosed

ahh so pass is definately a useful skill for those trees if i intend on throwing flings successfully. thx

tenwitOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 04, 2007 - 01:08 PM

Doubleskulls wrote:
TZ on the thrower each give a -1 to the pass roll - so throwing a quick pass in 2 TZ would fumble on 1,2 or 3.

Woopsie, BBRC boo-boo. In 2 TZs, a tree throwing a fling would fumble on 1, 2, 3 or 4. There's a -1 from TTM, -2 from TZs, so -3 total. 4 - 3 = 1, 1 = fumble, so only a 5 or 6 would give you an inaccurate (successful) pass.

Pass = doubles skill. Strong arm is the only throwing skill available to trees normally, and that works only for short passes (for TTMs: it applies to long pass and long bomb, but those don't apply to TTM). Strong arm effectively means that TTM works on a (2 + #TZs) or better for all TTM attempts.

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 04, 2007 - 01:55 PM

Canada
Don't have the rulebook in front of me - but don't treemen start with the Strong Arm now? This would meean that DS is right, and the tree would fumble on a 1,2, or 3 when in two TZs

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 04, 2007 - 02:12 PM

Canada
      Spazzfist wrote:
Don't have the rulebook in front of me - but don't treemen start with the Strong Arm now? This would meean that DS is right, and the tree would fumble on a 1,2, or 3 when in two TZs

Yes Treemen do start with Strong Arm. But it only adds +1 to Short/long/bomb passes

The quick pass +1 will cancel out the throw team mate -1 in DS' example so the fumble is on a 1-3. As it would be on a short pass because of strong arm

tenwitOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 04, 2007 - 08:04 PM

Which effectively means that Spazzfist was right in saying that Skulls was right. It was the lack of explanation that threw me.

Apologies DS. The headiness of spotting a BBRC boo-boo got to me Wink

StratfordOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 04, 2007 - 10:38 PM

Undisclosed

thx guys for clearing that up. hopefully i can scare people away from the trees after they get a couple of blocks and i wont have any tz's to worry about, and then if the player wises up that when my trees are free i throw flings they will put some tz's around em trying to make me fumble when all they will get for their trouble is a good branch to the face!!!

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 04, 2007 - 10:51 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
Is this where I look all smug? Very Happy

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic