NAF Logo
leftstar May 11, 2024 - 10:08 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Zombie pass for the win! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
tomrosOffline
Post subject: How Do I Cope With A Deathroller?  PostPosted: May 31, 2007 - 07:03 AM

Maryland U.S.A.
My opponent has just started a dwarf team and has a deathroller in his starting lineup.

His strategy, which we have discussed but not seen in action, is going to be get the ball and just hold it for eight turns while he sends the roller to crush my team. Then in the second half when I have nobody to oppose him he will just march downfield and score the winning TD. This sounds like a very sound and effective plan to me.

My question is, how do I defeat his plan?

I field an orc team, 4 bobs 4 blitzers 1 thrower and 2 lineorcs,
and a human team, 1 ogre 2 blitzers 2 throwers 2 catchers and 4 linemen.

Right now I am thinking of just trying to avoid it, but don't know how that will work out. I also don't know how i will be able to just avoid the roller if I am trying to bust the ball out of his hands to get my own TD.

I have tried to search this site for tactics but can find none and TBB is down so I can not search there right now.

Sorry if this is an overasked question but any ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited by tomros on Jun 01, 2007 - 08:06 AM; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
OldManDracoOffline
Post subject: RE: How Do I Cope With A Deathroller?  PostPosted: May 31, 2007 - 07:13 AM

Try and get the deathroller in the direction of the sideline and then push him of. Your team is strong and faster than dwarves so you should be able to take out some of his players as well. Go for his positionals whenever you can and foul them. If he wants a grinding match, then give him one. One he'll never forget!

Hope it helps.

KheldarOffline
Post subject: RE: How Do I Cope With A Deathroller?  PostPosted: May 31, 2007 - 07:22 AM

If you have the ball, then just score. Tie the roller with a lineman, and break through. After the TD the roller is ejected from the game, since he is a secret weapon.

If you opponent has the ball, make pressure on his ball carrier and try to avoid the roller. So he has to score quickly. If he cages near your endzone and stalls kill his remaining players. They will be outnumbered by then.

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject: RE: How Do I Cope With A Deathroller?  PostPosted: May 31, 2007 - 09:53 AM

Canada
The deathroller is strong, but not invinicible. Hit it! Even if it is two dice his choice, it is better for you to be on the offense. When it is knocked down, surround it and get a lineman to foul it.

But don't make your whole game plan around trying to get rid of it/avoid it. Your opponent's strategy sounds good on paper, but you will find that it doesn't play out as well as you fear. It is one player, and while he may run you over a few times, your armour is good - you should still have a team in the second half.

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

DarkDancer17Offline
Post subject: RE: How Do I Cope With A Deathroller?  PostPosted: May 31, 2007 - 10:35 AM

Phoenix, Arizona, United States
It's a psychological weapon... it's already got you on the defensive.

As Spazz said, hit it. It doesn't have block. Smile

DukeJanOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: How Do I Cope With A Deathroller?  PostPosted: May 31, 2007 - 11:49 AM

Netherlands
      DarkDancer17 wrote:
It's a psychological weapon... it's already got you on the defensive.

As Spazz said, hit it. It doesn't have block. Smile
And since I understand your opponent is also new to the game knocking the deathroller over should pull the psychological advantage to your favour quite effectively. Take a chance, perhaps a few times, and you will knock it over.

nyarlathotepOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: How Do I Cope With A Deathroller?  PostPosted: May 31, 2007 - 01:43 PM
Mekboy

Yup. Guard and Block are your friends.

My Tournament Record

tomrosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 01, 2007 - 05:41 AM

Maryland U.S.A.
Thanks for the tips. I am feeling much more confident now.

TanteKaetheOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 01, 2007 - 06:53 AM

I've got nothing really new to add, but I agree with most tips that have been made so far.

Feed a Lineman to the Deathroller, he's cheap, has AV9 and can take some punishment.

If you want to try to block the Deathroller, don't overcommit yourself trying to overcome ST7. You can always try a "2-dice-against" (your opponent chooses between the two blocking dice) with a Block-player. You have 25%-cance to knock him over and a 30,5% to go down yourself. So, with the help of a Reroll your chances to be knocked down are only 7% - it's worth a calculated risk Very Happy .

But most importantly, try to minimise the time the Deathroller is on the pitch by either scoring quickly or pressurising the ballcarrier.

Good luck Very Happy !

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 01, 2007 - 07:38 AM

Canada
You also have to consider that by adding a deathroller, your opponent is not going to be having a very balanced dwarf team - he is going to have to give up a lot on rerolls and positional players in order to field a player that is only good for one drive!

voyagers_ukOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 01, 2007 - 07:44 AM

I agree, he is banking a lot on bashing you down to below 10 fit players after his first drive...

Unrealistic against AV9 even with a Deathroller.

you can take him tomros! Twisted Evil

tomrosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 01, 2007 - 08:10 AM

Maryland U.S.A.
I suppose the best thing to do with my humans would be to try and crush the roller with my ogre and a couple of assists and run around it to get at his ball carrier with the rest of the team?

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 01, 2007 - 09:18 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
Win the toss & receive. If he fields the death roller then score quickly - if he doesn't score slowly enough he won't be tempted to bring it on when you do score.

It sounds like he send the DR out on its own? If so you've two options. Feed him linemen OR leave enough of your team to slow down the rest of the team - and then gang up against the DR. It is pretty slow - so once away from the action it might take a while to get back anywhere useful.

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 05, 2007 - 04:39 PM

Canada
Curious to hear how the advice worked against the Deathroller.

tomrosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 06, 2007 - 06:02 AM

Maryland U.S.A.
I havn't had a chance to play the match yet. We were supposed to play last night but taking care of my sick wife and daughter took precedence over the scheduled game, I know I know a real gamer would have ditched the family for the game Laughing . Fear not, as soon as the match is played, next teusday, I will post a game report for all to peruse. I will even try to take some photos of the action this time.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic