NAF Logo
leftstar Apr 29, 2024 - 11:44 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Tournament Director in ratings fix scandal! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
tomrosOffline
Post subject: Looking for more definition from my yellows.  PostPosted: Jun 13, 2007 - 10:59 AM

Maryland U.S.A.
As the topic title says, how do I get more definition from my yellows without making them look dirty.

The pants in this picture have five layers of yellow but you can hardly see any tone difference, any tips from the rest of you would be greatly appreciated.

By the way I am using GW paints and blending up through the yellows.

Reply with quote Back to top
nyarlathotepOffline
Post subject: RE: Looking for more definition from my yellows.  PostPosted: Jun 13, 2007 - 11:52 AM
Mekboy

Try adding yellow ink to the paint, you could also simply choose a yellow color and start adding white paint to it, highlight that way.

Reds I tend to shade with black, but yellow is very forgiving of highlighting.

My Tournament Record

Justin_KaseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 13, 2007 - 08:23 PM

Another option is to use a brown wash (maybe with some yellow) to do the shadowed areas - would make the other yellows stand out.

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 13, 2007 - 11:16 PM

Canada
Blacklining. That is one thing to help bring out a colour like yellow.

It is also important to start with a light base - if you are priming black (like I do) then work your way up to the full yellow, by starting with maybe an orange. Or you can just be prepared to put on multiple coats and the maybe highlight with a mix of yellow and white.

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

BenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 14, 2007 - 09:39 AM

Canada
I start with an orange base and highlight with Yellow.

That looks the best in my opinion.

Ben

StratfordOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 15, 2007 - 01:58 AM

Undisclosed

Try starting with bestial brown and the yellow you are using at a 3:1 ratio (3 yellow:1 brown) and take your highlights/shades from that up to a straight yellow mix and then start adding white into your mix gradually. your last highlight should be half white/yellow so all in all you should do about 5 stages or more to make it look good

3 yellow:1 brown
yellow
3 yellow:1 white
2 yellow:1 white
1 yellow:1 white

You could skip stage 4 if you are painting very small minis like gobbos to save a bit of time, but the best way as always is trail and error

good luck and post some pics of what the finished product looks like and what technique u used

PilOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 17, 2007 - 06:05 AM

Groningen, Netherlands
WHen I paint yellow I first paint the area white (get a good coverage, may require several coats), then I paint it Sunburst yellow, and then I shade it with a wast of dilluted flesh wash or with dilluted snakebite leather. This will dry up a bit blotchy (but that's ok), so I give it a drybrush with sunburst yellow afterwards, followed by a drybrush of sunburst yellow with a bit of white. Of course the washing can be substituted with carefully shading down, and the drybrushing can be substituted with careful highlights, but I like to work fast Smile

Here's a mini (not blood bowl, but anyway) painted as described above (with the snakebite leather wash):

CirrustheBlueOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 27, 2008 - 07:36 PM

Flesh wash works rather well for definition on Yellows I've found. Use it sparingly though and it might work better if mixed with a little bit of Future Floor Wax to get rid of the splotchiness. Dullcote afterwards and you're set!

- Cirrus

TkkultistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 06, 2009 - 06:48 AM

Belleville, Ontario
Try either using the new Gryphonne sepia wash - it is a very yellow based tone and does a nice job of shading yellow OR if you are patient and brave try the following (I love this technique!) Mix bleached bone 50/50 with fiery orange to make a peach colour. Highlight with increasing amounts of bleached bone all the way to BB/white 50:50 - it is going to look pretty extreme. Wash with yellow ink. The ink will transform the colour beneath it and you will be left with rich deep yellows with varied transitions. Ill post a pic of one of my example minis that I use when teaching painting lessons when I get a chance.....

EDIT: I forgot to say this is also a great way to paint yellow over black if you need to as it covers perfectly

pathwinder14Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 08, 2009 - 07:37 PM

Ben wrote:
I start with an orange base and highlight with Yellow.

That looks the best in my opinion.

Ben

Seconded. Contrast is what makes colors stand out. Your yellow does not have much shading. Shade the crevices with an orange and you should see the yellow stand out more.

MikoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 21, 2009 - 02:54 AM

Undisclosed

Black Base. Then any orange. Highlights with Golden Yellow and Bad Moon Yellow. It ist not bad, if the black is a littlebit visible in deep parts of the miniature. And i paint with Water : Colour 1:1

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic