NAF Logo
leftstar May 11, 2024 - 06:45 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Chainsaws for everyone! Take action NOW! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Big_DaddyOffline
Post subject: Starting Pro Elf for LRB5 League.  PostPosted: Jul 23, 2007 - 09:39 PM

Hi guys! I've been suckered in and I'm about to embark on my first ever bloodbowl league and indeed games. I am playing a pro elf team which means I'll probably be riding a pretty steep learning curve Surprised It's the same league as Aenur so we've got 1kk gold to spend and the commish is giving us all an additional 3 FF.

This is the list I have come up with for now so any feedback on the setup or tactical advice would be great. I have dug back through the forum and it seems like I could do OK if my team doesn't get flattened with too many injuries/deaths in the first few games.

Without further ado...

7 Linesman
2 Catchers
1 Thrower
1 Blitzer
3 TRR
5FF + 3FF from the commish
0 cash in the bank.

First upgrade is probably an apothecary and then I'm a bit lost from there...

Thanks Smile

Reply with quote Back to top
SolarFlareOffline
Post subject: RE: Starting Pro Elf for LRB5 League.  PostPosted: Jul 24, 2007 - 06:26 AM

I'd trade a lineman and the FF for the second blitzer. As you say, you'll do OK if your team survives, and the blitzers survive the best... For their first skill, give the blitzers dodge (unless you get the AG or ST increase, of course). Then spend the rest of the time doing what elves do: throw and score.

CramyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 24, 2007 - 06:58 AM

Canada
I second what SolarFlare is suggesting. FF is not that important in LRB5, so you don't need very much. Get that second blitzer instead of a lineman, and whatever is left you can use as FF or keep in cash. I'd actually be inclined to keep it in cash to speed-up your next purchase.

The Blitzers get dodge first. Then start to give them skills to help them on defence. Against teams that cage, you need to be able to get the ball away from the ball carrier. Skills like strip ball and leap are good for that. Tackle is also good if you play against teams that have some dodge. On doubles, I like Mighty Blow or Guard. Elves don't get access to strength skills on normal rolls, to use doubles to get strength skills.

The thrower gets throwing skills, like Accurate and Safe Throw. Dodge and later block can be good as well. On doubles, get strong Arm. If you have opponents that have Strip Ball, then sure hands is good. Otherwise, if you do pick the skill, pick it as one of your last picks. Or develop an offensive thrower and a defensive thrower. Block, Dodge and Sure Hands on the defensive thrower.

The Catchers can develop in different ways. If you plan against lots of passing teams, then skills like Pass Block. These guys are pretty good blitzers once they get block, so on a couple of them you can develop them as the blitzers above, so block, dodge, tackle, etc... They don't need any other skills to help scoring except for block and dodge, which is the bread and butter of all Elves

On linemen you will want one with Kick. This is often a very underrated skill, but is crucial to help pop the ball lose against those strength teams. Allows you to get to the ball carrier before he is too protected. You can have one Dirty Player. Then I like lots of dodge. With Dodge, then you have the choice of block, wrestle or fend. All are good. Do a mix. Which one you take the most of will depend on your opponents.

Dodge Fend: Allows you to stay away from opponents.

Dodge Wrestle: Allows you to get to a block ball carrier and bring him down more easily. Also allows you to throw your opponent (with block) on the ground when he is blocking you, hence creating a hole.

Dodge Block: Well, pretty much as robust an AV7 player can get Smile. These guys are a pest for your opponents. If in doubt, this is a well proven combo. It works.

Next purchases: Depends on you league. I'd cap at 14 players. I'd get another catcher, then the apo, then the fourth catcher, and the second thrower last. The apo isn't as good as he used to be, hence there is not as much of a rush to get him. If your league is very bashy, then you may want to get the apo first, just be on the safe side. Then the apo will promptly kill one of your players the first time you use him (he needs practice). Very Happy

Good luck. Elves are the supreme race after all, so you should do OK. Wink

Marc-Andre

SolarFlareOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 24, 2007 - 10:34 AM

I want to reinforce the guard on doubles for the blitzers. There's nothing quite as annoying as a player with sidestep and guard. If you don't knock him down, he's going somewhere you don't want him to and interfering with other blocks.

Big_DaddyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 24, 2007 - 09:37 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will have to digest all that info cramy, thanks for your time to type it all up Smile

I did think that having a higher fame than the opponent may be helpful to the kick-off table as the likelihood of getting a few rolls on this table seems fairly high playing with elves. Can you explain why the FF is not so important? I can see the merit of the second blitzer but I thought that development might be sped up with some extra income.

Cheers,

BD

CramyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 25, 2007 - 07:11 AM

Canada
Assuming that nobody else takes FF, then yes you have a good chance of winning the FAME. But there are no guarantees. If the other coaches get a few point of FF, then your 5FF will have negligeable impact. On the other hand, the second blitzer will make you win more games, which also increases your winnings, and you can reroll your winnings roll if you win. That has a better impact.

I'm a strong proponent of trying to win the games and get more winnings that way, and not rely on the FAME roll. If you would like to get rerolls off the kick-off table, then get Cheerleaders and assistant coaches with whatever leftover money you may have. That's a guaranteed +1 for those kick-off result rolls, and if things go your way there should to lots of kick-offs Wink. But only use leftovers for these purchases.

Don't know if you have played with previous versions of the rules (3rd Ed. to LRB4), but when I mentioned that FF had a lesser impact with LRB5, I was comparing with those rules. FF had a huge impact, and most coaches would start with a FF between 7 and 9. With LRB5, this is not longer the best strategy, and it can take a while for people that are new to LRB5 to figure-it out.

Big_DaddyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 25, 2007 - 08:44 PM

I haven't played before so I'm a total rookie Smile I re-read the FAME entries and the kick-off table and it seems you are making solid points. I can buy cheerleaders and AC's at 10k each for a guaranteed +1 on the table results they are involved in. Winning the game gives you a +10k bonus which is equivalent of having the +1 FAME so I see your point more clearly now.

Having the extra player with AV8 and sidestep seems like it should help a fair bit on defence, which seems to be a weak point with early league elves and then I'm not trying to save the 110k to buy him at a later point.

Thanks again for your help Smile

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic