NAF Logo
leftstar May 10, 2024 - 11:57 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
The Dark Elf team is overpowered. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Barrel05Offline
Post subject: Gutter Runner 1st skill a double  PostPosted: Oct 01, 2007 - 07:50 AM

Just had a GR roll a double on his first skill and was thinkin of gettin a mutation, am leaning towards Foul appearance. Had two GR with sidestep and Blodge, but one got MA-1 so i need a new partner for my scorer. Generally use thw two sidesteppers to go deep for the pass, so FA will help there. What are some thoughts?

Reply with quote Back to top
CramyOffline
Post subject: RE: Gutter Runner 1st skill a double  PostPosted: Oct 01, 2007 - 10:50 AM

Canada
For Skaven, I like to give my GRs skills that 1) Help them survive and 2) Help them get the ball on defence.

Block and SideStep are good for 1) above. Two of my GRs get that first (as you did).

So for the doubles. I really like Big Hand, followed by Leap. And if you are lucky enough to roll another doubles, give him Two Heads or VLL. This guy's job is ball retrieval when it is on the ground even if it is in the middle of opponents. Leap on the ball in (3+ or 2+ with VLL), pick-up on a 2+, then dodges out, handoff/pass to another GR who runs as fast as he can.

I also really like VLL for the guy who makes the ball carrier drop the ball. Add Leap, block or wrestle (wrestle if more efficient, but more dangerous as you end-up prone) and strip ball. You can now leap in the cage on a 2+, get a 1-die blocks on the ball carrier in the cage. This guy is also really good as a safety, to get at those catchers trying to run away with the ball, even if he has a bit of assistance (again, leap on a 2+). Note that VLL is important here because you want to use your RR on the 1-die block (and sometimes 1/2 die block).

Foul Appearance is not a bad choice though, as it will help protect your GR. But for me this would be a skill taken later, as it doesn't help my GR be that much more efficient on defence (aside from the fact that he may still be on the pitch if he had FA Smile ). Other skills help more on defence IMO.

If there are lots of long passes in your league, then VLL, Disturbing Presence, and Pass Block could be pretty good, but never tried it.

Cramy

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject: RE: Gutter Runner 1st skill a double  PostPosted: Oct 01, 2007 - 11:15 AM

Canada
I would agree with the Big Hands choice. Remember that Foul Appearance is not what it once was, and so it only offers minimal protection, and it no longer disrupts passing plays.

I think the opportunity to pick up on a 2+ regardless of TZs is definitely the way to go!

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

Barrel05Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 02, 2007 - 12:29 AM

I hear ya on Big hand, but its not so much a case of him needing to be used to pick up the ball when i have a thrower with AG4 who has sure hands. Also I ruled out VLL as I have a GR with leap, and was goin to build this guy up as a diving tackler, but after my other Sidesteper got MA-1 I need to replace him as one of my scoring options. The reason I'm leaning towards, FA is for that extra little roll an opponent would have to make to hit him(also would help against Chainsaw atacks which cost me last game), and other Mutations that give a plus 1 bonus such as Extra Arms and Two heads seem wasted on AG4. Have also considered Horns to make him into a free roaming safety

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 02, 2007 - 06:48 AM

Canada
I would think that there are other players who would be better served as being roaming safeties, and as I said before the Foul Appearance cannot be relied upon to work, so me personally, I would go with something that I can exercise more control over.

Even though you have the AG4 thrower, he is more likely to be in your backfield, ready to throw to any of the GRs that are open. The GRs job is to get downfield, and if you have one with Big Hands, then he would be also be a real threat when you kick off to your opponent. He would be able to get into those tight spots, (with his AG 4 and Dodge) get the ball, and then get away again. I wouldn't want to put the thrower in that position.

But then I guess that this question also needs to consider what type of other teams you havein the league....

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 02, 2007 - 10:35 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
I stil think Horns would be a good idea - blitzing at S3 is always nice on an MA9 AG4 player Smile

Barrel05Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 02, 2007 - 05:50 PM

Spazzfist wrote:
I would think that there are other players who would be better served as being roaming safeties, and as I said before the Foul Appearance cannot be relied upon to work, so me personally, I would go with something that I can exercise more control over.

Even though you have the AG4 thrower, he is more likely to be in your backfield, ready to throw to any of the GRs that are open. The GRs job is to get downfield, and if you have one with Big Hands, then he would be also be a real threat when you kick off to your opponent. He would be able to get into those tight spots, (with his AG 4 and Dodge) get the ball, and then get away again. I wouldn't want to put the thrower in that position.

But then I guess that this question also needs to consider what type of other teams you havein the league....

We have a pretty stacked Strong league, but I've played most of them already. I like your point about getting down field on the kick off especially considering i have a player with kick. Thing about Horns is I tend to get into situations were my GRs are the last ones left who can bring down ball carriers as people tend to write them off as none threats with their ST2. Thinkin its a choice between BH and Horns now

CramyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 02, 2007 - 07:50 PM

Canada
Big Hand and Horns are both good choices. Horns for the fast safety type position. Big Hand to go deep and score while on defence.

Cramy

PilOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 03, 2007 - 05:29 AM

Groningen, Netherlands
I'd say go for very long legs and on your next skill pick leap. I play Lizardmen and encountered one such Gutter Runner last night, and they are a nightmare. They can usually get out of any situation with just one leap and a dodge (or vice versa), which usually means two 2+ rolls, one with reroll.

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 03, 2007 - 06:22 AM

Canada
      Pil wrote:
I'd say go for very long legs and on your next skill pick leap. I play Lizardmen and encountered one such Gutter Runner last night, and they are a nightmare. They can usually get out of any situation with just one leap and a dodge (or vice versa), which usually means two 2+ rolls, one with reroll.

I shouldn't be doing this without the rulebook in front of me, but isn't the Leap skill done on an unmodified AG roll? That would mean that the leap is a 3+ and the dodge is a 2+.

LycosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 03, 2007 - 08:51 AM
Former President

Undisclosed
Double on a GR....I take Guard. As DS pointed, with AG4 and dodge and MV9 the rat can get almost anywhere. Its permantly in use every turn so unlike Horns or Big hand which are very useful...dont get me wrong...but they get used infrequently. Guard is in play all the time. And with skaven you only have 3 players with ST access.
But if you are commited to go for a Mutation....Big Hand. Horns, only an opinion, is not what it was when dauntless was as per LRB4 rules where if you had the 2 in combo it was a fantastic blitzer!

CramyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 03, 2007 - 06:20 PM

Canada
@Lycos: Guard is not a bad idea, but you need to go in opponent TZs for it to take effect, which I typically try to avoid with GRs.

@Spazz: VLL gives a +1 modifier to leap, hence the 2+ landing in Pil's example. VLL also gives a +1 modifier to interceptions, which is a nice add-on. VLL is a good choice as well on doubles if Leap is taken after, then consider Pass Block.

Cramy

Barrel05Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 05, 2007 - 03:10 AM

I spose the decision now is do i want him to be pressuring for the score off the kick off or my go to blitzer

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 05, 2007 - 06:20 AM

Canada
      Barrel05 wrote:
I spose the decision now is do i want him to be pressuring for the score off the kick off or my go to blitzer

Well remember that the big hand is not only for the kick off - there are many situations where the ball will be in several enemy TZs, in which case your GR with the Hand can come to the rescue!

Barrel05Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 05, 2007 - 08:22 PM

Spazzfist wrote:
      Barrel05 wrote:

Well remember that the big hand is not only for the kick off - there are many situations where the ball will be in several enemy TZs, in which case your GR with the Hand can come to the rescue!

Yeah i know the problem i'm having is that i'm often in the position where my GR's are often the only ones in a position to make the blitz, with their superior speed

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic