NAF Logo
leftstar May 11, 2024 - 05:09 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
One, reroll, one. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
OpusOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 07, 2007 - 10:45 AM

United States of America
In my opinion - depends upon what version of the LRB you are using. In 5, VLL only gives you +1 to intercept and Leap rolls, not extra movement. I've always been a fan of Leap and TwoHeads - gets you into and out of trouble with minimal effort.

Of course - if you want a "safety" who will blow up on opponent's possession, why not get Dauntless? I mean Leap and Dauntless will disrupt just about any cage that the opponent can muster (except for Guard, the ultimate evil). Smile

Reply with quote Back to top
Barrel05Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 07, 2007 - 06:53 PM

Opus wrote:
In my opinion - depends upon what version of the LRB you are using. In 5, VLL only gives you +1 to intercept and Leap rolls, not extra movement. I've always been a fan of Leap and TwoHeads - gets you into and out of trouble with minimal effort.

Of course - if you want a "safety" who will blow up on opponent's possession, why not get Dauntless? I mean Leap and Dauntless will disrupt just about any cage that the opponent can muster (except for Guard, the ultimate evil). Smile

LRB 5, and am only looking at mutations, i'm not a fan of Dauntless on Gutter Runners, especially when I have a Rat Oqre with Block and Juggernaught as a perfectly good cage breaker

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 08, 2007 - 10:48 AM

Undisclosed
I like Horns on the first Double for them...and then dauntless. Sure this combo is not as good as it was, but imagine the MV 9 player throwing 2Dice blocks. LRB4 it was sweet...LRB still very nice.

NAF Member #5236
---

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 11, 2007 - 10:17 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
      Cramy wrote:
@Lycos: Guard is not a bad idea, but you need to go in opponent TZs for it to take effect, which I typically try to avoid with GRs.

Exactly. Guard implies you are leaving him in a TZ to be hit next turn. IMO this isn't a good plan for "soft" players. If he already had block/wrestle & sidestep then I'd think differently.

Barrel05Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 11, 2007 - 07:01 PM

My next games are as Follows ORCs, Wood Elves, Goblins, Amazon, Amazon, Human and then Lizardmen. The Orc team is a very powerful team, with lots of high Strength. Last time I played them the only ones that i had to block were my Runners, so Horns would be good, but if i can force the ball loose BH will be handy(no pun intended) for jumping into the cage and grabing the ball.

TuernRedvenomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 19, 2007 - 02:24 AM

The added value of horns over dauntless is minimal IMO, both mean you will throw a 1-die block on a STR 3 player. Dauntless is better then horns vs players with higher strength (4 or more) while horns is better vs player with lower strength. (2 or less) So this might depend on the league composition a bit. But, in general, seeing as you can take dauntless on a normal roll I'd take big hand. Ignoring the tackle zones when picking up the ball can often decide the game. You do have a strip baller right? Wink

Barrel05Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 19, 2007 - 07:12 AM

I dont have a strip baller, but am not going to waist a double on general skills, such as strip ball or Dauntless. It kinda defeats the purpose dont ya think.

TuernRedvenomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 19, 2007 - 08:00 AM

Erm, I think you missed my point(s), all IMO of course:
* Big Hand is especially usefull if you also have another strip ball gutter runner because a stripped ball is very likely to end up in tackle zones.
* You shouldn't take Horns because Dauntless does almost the same thing and doesn't require any doubles.

But disturbing presence is a very nice mutation as well.

edit: on a side note, you should really get a strip ball runner, they are worth their weight in gold! Even if your opponent has sure hands guys, just by having a strip baller and with clever use of the kick skill you can force your opponent into more risky plays (gfi's, hand offs) and limit his options.

Barrel05Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 19, 2007 - 07:17 PM

I see what your saying, but i dont like my GR's to be in the position of having to be the ones doing the hitting. Strip ball will be good for my blitzers or linerats, but the GR's job is to get the ball then score where big hand is probably the best option especially combined with kick.

TuernRedvenomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 20, 2007 - 05:55 AM

Barrel05 wrote:
I see what your saying, but i dont like my GR's to be in the position of having to be the ones doing the hitting. Strip ball will be good for my blitzers or linerats, but the GR's job is to get the ball then score where big hand is probably the best option especially combined with kick.

If it means getting at the ball trhen you will need your runners to blitz because a linerat or a blitzer usually doesn't have enough MA and AG and no Dodge skill to get at that ball carrier. Strip Ball is great on very mobile players, it's not very usefull on linerats and storm vermin because they will rarely be in a position to use it.
Half die blocks when you have block really aren't that risky! Especially with strip ball your chances of success are big enough to give it a shot.

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 20, 2007 - 10:04 AM

Canada
      TuernRedvenom wrote:

Half die blocks when you have block really aren't that risky! Especially with strip ball your chances of success are big enough to give it a shot.

I wholeheartedly agree, but be careful with that! I have had people go ballistic when I suggest that it is sometimes okay to make those dodgy blocks! Smile

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

Barrel05Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 20, 2007 - 08:55 PM

I can see what your saying, but i tend to lean towards Sidestep and fend for my runners, and maybe diving tackle as well. The MA doesn't pose a problem that much as most teams in my league have low movement.

CramyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 21, 2007 - 06:46 PM

Canada
I have to agree with Tuern with Strip Ball. You need SB one or two Gutter Runners, as they are the ones who can get to the ball carrier. Give them Leap and Wrestle as well, and they are great at getting the ball on the ground. Then having a GR with Big Hand, Leap and other skills will allow you to recover the ball.

Like Tuern said, your linerats and blitzers will usually not be able to get to the ball carrier.

Also agree with Spazz. Don't throw your GRs at the ball carrier with half die blocks all the time. You have to time that move. Do it when it counts, and you have a reroll. When it counts is when you will either stop the score against you, or you can take advantage of the lose ball by picking-it up after and securing it, or score. Timing is important here.

Cramy

SteffenSOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 22, 2007 - 04:18 AM

Actually I wouldnt be so afraid to put my GR stripballer in there. If he has either block or wrestle, there is only around 18,5% chance of your GR falling over on a ½ die roll, if you have a reroll left. If you don't there is still "only" around 30% chance that your GR falls down. Now with Strip Ball on your GR you relieve your opponent of the ball more then 4 out of 5 times (again with a reroll on the blitz) on your ½ die blitz. I for one like those odds.

After 4 matches this is how my Rats have evolved:
1xSV
1xSV with guard
1xGR with Big hand (next skill leap)
1xGR with Strip Ball (next skill Wrestle nomatter what I roll)
1xGR with Block (next skill sidestep)
1xGR with Block (next skill sidestep)
1xThrower
1xLineman with Kick
5xLineman (no skills)
After a rather difficult start (one loss and two ties) I'm on the right track and won the last match 4-2 (against a highelf team)

Barrel05Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 22, 2007 - 07:16 PM

I went with BH which sort of worked, he was in position to pick up the ball in a tackle zone, but didn't have to. Am regretting it though cause after the game my best Gutter Runner with Dodge Block Leap and Side Step got AG+1. So BH was kind of a waste, but who knew i'd get AG+1! I chose to keep the AG+1 because it will help with leap, and means he can go into enemy TZ's get the ball leap then dodge. I have another GR with D B Sidestep Diving Tackle and MA-1, the MA-1 creates a dilemma as to what to do with him next?

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic