NAF Logo
leftstar May 11, 2024 - 06:45 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Mamma Mia... Luca Toni! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
DaggersOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 07, 2007 - 11:10 AM

Canada
Although I never went to the Spike! I would say it looked like a well run tournament from all I saw. The fact that the stats took a while to get posted (they still aren't there btw) is probably to do with the fact that NAF seems to have a hard time keeping up with demand of everyone (that is not a knock on the NAF, I am sure they are more busy then everyone realizes, keep up the good work guys). I would say the reason it didn't survive in Toronto is because GW was running it, and did not put alot of effort into it.
I have been to a variety of tournaments, mostly in Ontario, and have yet to have a bad experience at any one of them. I would agree with Torg that my main reason to play in tournaments is to meet new people who enjoy playing BB like I do. On the same note, everyone wants to win the tournament, or get better so they can win next time. If you don't, then why pay the money to play, when you can do it with friends for free.
Either way, which ever tournament you decide on, I am sure you will enjoy. As well as gain some knowledge for running your own, so more people can join the blood-thirsty Blood Bowl family.
PS I agree that if you want a big, well run tournament GenCon and Chaos Cup are sure bets pretty much. I am hoping to make Chaos next year, and maybe GenCon that year or year after.

Reply with quote Back to top
PunkpogoerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 07, 2007 - 11:51 AM

United States of America
I hope I can throw another question in the mix here, how important is your experience factor when you want to participate in one of the larger tourys?

XtremeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 07, 2007 - 12:27 PM
Da Boss

United States of America
      Dwarfrunner wrote:
Although I never went to the Spike! I would say it looked like a well run tournament from all I saw. The fact that the stats took a while to get posted (they still aren't there btw) is probably to do with the fact that NAF seems to have a hard time keeping up with demand of everyone (that is not a knock on the NAF, I am sure they are more busy then everyone realizes, keep up the good work guys)..

Has nothing to do with the NAF. Its the tournament organizers responsibility to report results, and as far as I know the Spike this year was never entered into the NAF site as a tournament.

DaggersOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 07, 2007 - 02:01 PM

Canada
      Punkpogoer wrote:
I hope I can throw another question in the mix here, how important is your experience factor when you want to participate in one of the larger tourys?

Experience helps with strategy, but it all comes down to dice rolls. Anyone can win a tournament if they roll 6's all night long. And a bad dice-rape can bring the best coach to his knees. Just remember it all equals out in the end, and keep a positive outlook. Nothing more annoying then a coach who starts bitching and throwing dice because he is losing.

Xtreme wrote:
      Dwarfrunner wrote:
Although I never went to the Spike! I would say it looked like a well run tournament from all I saw. The fact that the stats took a while to get posted (they still aren't there btw) is probably to do with the fact that NAF seems to have a hard time keeping up with demand of everyone (that is not a knock on the NAF, I am sure they are more busy then everyone realizes, keep up the good work guys)..

Has nothing to do with the NAF. Its the tournament organizers responsibility to report results, and as far as I know the Spike this year was never entered into the NAF site as a tournament.

Interesting, any reason why? Was it NAF sanctioned? I assumed it was mandatory if it was to input results. Oh well.

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 08, 2007 - 03:02 AM

United States of America
I am not ruling out Gen Con (this year yes because of other obligations) for future visit(s)
I enjoy "away" tourneys because I get away from my busy life and submerge myself in the culture of the game and event. I usually take a buddy and from the moment we get into the car to travel to the airport to the time we are driving home we are talking about the game and the event (not to mention the prep getting ready for the event). Meeting people from around the world and exchanging ideas about the games, models, ect it a HUGE part of it for me. Playing 3 games and going out to dinner afterward with people just just met that day are super bonuses. Then getting ready for the next day.
Win or loose it is all about total submersion for me.

Tonight in fact I lost a game because I could not get a die roll to save my life. Sure I had fun. and yes it sucks that one of my causalities got the MVP lost a Str and I got no skill rolls. Oh well I had fun playing

XtremeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 08, 2007 - 05:44 AM
Da Boss

United States of America
      Dwarfrunner wrote:

Interesting, any reason why? Was it NAF sanctioned? I assumed it was mandatory if it was to input results. Oh well.

The tournament organizer never put it in the database to be approved. But that would be two years in a row for the Spike, so I guess like last year it could be done retroactively, if the organizer stepped up with the results.

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 08, 2007 - 12:52 PM

Canada
      Xtreme wrote:
      Dwarfrunner wrote:

The tournament organizer never put it in the database to be approved. But that would be two years in a row for the Spike, so I guess like last year it could be done retroactively, if the organizer stepped up with the results.

This is exactly why I couldn't recomend someone plan a big trip for the spike.

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 09, 2007 - 07:58 AM

Undisclosed
As someone who travelled to the Spike! in 2004 I also want to weigh-in here.

In 2004 the Spike! attracted 30+ coaches from accross Canada, the US, and brought some folks from Europe. I had a great time and it was very well supported by GW. In 2005 there was no official Spike! and all GW did by way of explanation was to say:

"..well...the last SPike! was the 2004-2005 Spike! and the one that will be held in 2006 is the 2005-2006 Spike!..."

That's complete nonsense...there was no Spike! in 2005...there fore the 2006 even saw attendance drop to like 10 people for a one-day event. (Actually two one-day events if that makes sense.)

I was encouraged by the promise of the 2007 event, but will need to see the results of another before I risk the trip to Western Canada based on GW's luke warm support for one of their "flagship" Blood Bowl events.

(Furthermore...given the fact that besides Calgary, apparently Vancouver or Toronto are in the mix as possible venues? I think that might hurt attandence numbers as well as people are waiting to see where it is...they may decide to spend their BB $$$ elsewhere.)

NAF Member #5236
---

nyarlathotepOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 11, 2007 - 10:35 PM
Mekboy

There is no choice but Zlurpeebowl for your budget.

Unless you're willing to double your budget and hit Gencon. But that's more for the "Gencon Experience".

My Tournament Record

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 11, 2007 - 11:27 PM

United States of America
Can't go to GENCON this year I will be taking a Family cruise to Alaska for my MiL 90th b-day
I am Very interested in Zlurpee and I am trying to get a plane ticket for my Christmas present so I can attend 2

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 18, 2007 - 11:42 AM

United States of America
I am going to Zlurpee IV (50 or bust) and a 95% chance on the Stupor Bowl!

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 18, 2007 - 11:42 AM

United States of America
I am also gonna bring home a trophy (or spoon)!!!!

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 18, 2007 - 11:43 AM

United States of America
THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR GREAT INPUT!!!!!
The feedback give me great ideas for 2009

XtremeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 18, 2007 - 03:54 PM
Da Boss

United States of America
      daloonieshaman wrote:
I am going to Zlurpee IV (50 or bust) and a 95% chance on the Stupor Bowl!
I'll be at both of those tournaments, and expect both to be great.

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 18, 2007 - 07:42 PM

United States of America
so after me meet at Stupor I will have a place to crash for Zlurpee .....

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic