NAF Logo
leftstar May 12, 2024 - 05:16 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Make dodges, not blocks. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Blademaster777Offline
22 Post subject: Dark Elf Starting Team  PostPosted: Dec 18, 2007 - 09:12 PM

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Hi All.

I am looking at what my lineup is going to look like for an upcomming league. I have no idea what I'm up against, except that I know there is at least one Skaven team.

Starting cash is the stock standad 1M

Lineman - 70000
Lineman - 70000
Lineman - 70000
Lineman - 70000
Lineman - 70000
Lineman - 70000
Lineman - 70000
Lineman - 70000
Runner - 80000
Runner - 80000
Blitzer - 100000

Re-Rolls 2
Fan Factor 3
Appothacary

I remember the starting pain of running a Dark Elf team in the last league I was in, so I thought that running the fan factor to high is just asking to lose it in the first few games. With no reserves, the Appothacary seems necessary, though I wonder if the 3rd Re-Roll would be better, as it is possible to buy the Appothacary for half the cost of another Re-Roll during the season.

My play style is a short passing/running game, I know that there are better teams to use for this particular play style, but I have a particular fondness for Dark Elves, mainly stemming from playing them for close to 10 years in all of the GW Fantasy games.

What do you guys think?

Reply with quote Back to top
CramyOffline
Post subject: RE: Dark Elf Starting Team  PostPosted: Dec 19, 2007 - 08:23 AM

Canada
I'm assuming that you are using LRB5? Don't start with an apothecary, get him as your first purchase. Although the Runners are good, I would not start with them. The Blitzers are really the most dependable players in this team, so get them first, and max them out as soon as possible. Then get the Witches, as they are stars. Linemen and Blitzers are AV8, and blitzers have block, so there is less chance of suffering injuries early-on. I would start with:

7 Linemen: 490k
4 Blitzers: 400k
2 Rerolls: 100k
1 FF

Purchases, in order (with some variations depending on the league and team progression): Apothecary, Witch Elf, Reroll, Witch Elf, Runner, Assassin, Runner. The last players you start to get to replace injured or dead linemen. Keep your roster to 13 or 14 players, depending on how bashy your league is.

Now I have to admit that the above lineup is a bit boring. You can switch 2 Blitzers for a Witch and an Assassin or something like that. But you then have two AV7 players with no bench and no apothecary and less block skill. But the Witches and the Assassin is what makes Dark Elves different, and fun.

As for the short passing and running game, I disagree with you. The Dark Elves are excellent at it. That's how I play them, with great success I have to say.

Cramy

kjonesinOffline
Post subject: RE: Dark Elf Starting Team  PostPosted: Dec 19, 2007 - 11:06 AM

Toronto
One witch, one blitzer, two runners, seven linemen, two rerolls and two fans. MA 7 is a big improvement over MA 6. Buy an apothecary first, never heal your linemen. The short pass game is great on dark elves, I like to start with a witch elf so she gets block as soon as possible. Prioritize block and dodge on those players who start with either. I like giving the runners pass and accurate, develop a lineman with sure hands who picks the ball up and makes a quick pass to the runners. Runners with their MA 7 and passing skills can distribute it from there. Or just run it in for the TD.

Also - get a line-elf with wrestle, tackle and strip ball, maybe leap if you're feeling sassy.

OpusOffline
Post subject: RE: Dark Elf Starting Team  PostPosted: Dec 19, 2007 - 02:14 PM

United States of America
I agree with Cramy - Block will be your best asset for this team. I would go with 4 Blitzers. Having played Dark Elves for many years, I've come to have a love/hate relationship with Witches. They are either the saviour for my team, or they are completely useless. There is no in between. I also suggest that you get Wrestle on as many Linemen as you can - opening up those holes in the middle of the line can only help your ball movement.

Blademaster777Offline
Post subject: RE: Dark Elf Starting Team  PostPosted: Dec 19, 2007 - 03:04 PM

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Cheers for the responses guys. I can see what you are saying.

I have love/hate relationships with Assassins. They have been so useless for me for so long that I rarely bother.

I also have a bad relationship with dice, I'm one of the few people capable of failing 10/10 on 2+ So I understanably like my re-rolls.

I'll probably drop the Apothacary from the above and add another re-roll/Blitzer(subbed in for a Lineman)

Again, thatnks for the ideas.

ManticoreRichOffline
Post subject: RE: Dark Elf Starting Team  PostPosted: Apr 25, 2008 - 05:39 AM

London, England
This may be too late but Ive played Dark Elves years, came 17th in the 1st or 2nd Blood Bowl with them too.

My Starting team is:

Assassin
2x Witch Elves
2x Blitzers
6x Linemen

1 Reroll
2 FF

Think that adds up right, ive had people so obsessed with twatting the Assassin my Witches & Blitzers just sweep up the flanks for TD City

- Manticore Night Shades -

www.teamromford.co.uk for more details.

El_hombreOffline
Post subject: RE: Dark Elf Starting Team  PostPosted: May 08, 2008 - 03:22 AM

Belgium
I'm also playing Darkies in the next league over here, and I was actually thinking to do something like this:

6 linies
1 runner
4 blitzers

2 RR
0FF, no apo, no assistant nor cheers

Yours,
El Hombre

Rick287Offline
Post subject: RE: Dark Elf Starting Team  PostPosted: May 08, 2008 - 05:11 AM

Started recently with

2 x Blitzers
2 x Witches
2 x Runners
5 x Linemen

1 reroll, FF 1

And it's a pain... just got an Apothecary after 2 games (one 2-1 loss, one 4-0 win), been lucky to have escaped with just 1 niggling injury so far...

Still, onward and upward. Got one Witch Elf up to ST 4, hoping for big things from her.

WhiteTigerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 12, 2008 - 03:39 PM

Reynoldsburg, Ohio
I"ve played DE for years as well. Normally go with:

1 runner
2 blitzers
8 linemen

3 RR

couple of fans

first purchase is an apo, then the other blitzers, then the witches.

This is for a long league with time to build. If it's a short league, I'd go with more blitzers.

AK_DaveOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 21, 2008 - 07:29 PM

Anchorage, Alaska
I've had excellent results with this team:
1x Witch Elf
3x Blitzers
7x Line Elfs
2x Rerolls

The above team has won leagues and non-NAF tournaments for me.
What I like about this is 4x MA7 and almost everyone taking hits @ AV8. The AV7 on the WE is more than made up for by Jump Up.
WE needs Leap, and Wrestle is AWESOME on a WE.
Blitzers need a mix of Dodge, Sidestep, Guard
Linemen need a mix of Block. Dodge, Guard, Tackle, Wrestle, Dirty Player
I like having 1-2 players with Leader

I'm planning to use this to start an upcoming league:
3x Blitzers
2x Runners
1x Assassin
5x Line Elfs
2x Rerolls

What I especially like about this format is 5x fast movers in an offensive line that can challenge (not necessarily catch) Skaven and Wood Elves. Haven't used an Assassin since maybe 3ed, but frankly I don't think I like the combination of MA6 with Shadowing except as an annoyance. I see him as a "special teams" hitter and wanted to start with one to build SPP early. I plan to use him as a Thrower to build some cheap XP and scare the monkeyboogers out of any catchers and gutterrunners silly enough to lurk in my backfield. The Assassin is a Lineman with light armor and some skills, and DE Linemen can build into just about anything with about a dozen SPP.

WiccanManOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 28, 2008 - 12:30 AM

i agree with the idea of not taking witches off the bat. However i think 4 blitzers is exccesive i might have
2 blitzers
1 runner for the ability to get passing skills
assasin just as a AV7 killer *optional*
8 line elves
2 re rolls
5 Fan Factor *as most elf coachs know replacing players is a bitch with low FF so a higher fan factor helps generate a decent income.

AK_DaveOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 28, 2008 - 11:41 AM

Anchorage, Alaska
I've gone 4-0 starting a new league with the above DE team I mentioned. Now it sits at:
Blitzer 21SPP +AG Dodge
Blitzer 8SPP Dodge
Blitzer 10SPP Dodge
Runner 9SPP Dodge
Runner 15SPP Nerves of Steel
Assassin 6SPP Multiple Block
Witch Elf 6SPP Block
5x Line Elfs 0-4SPP ea
2x Rerolls
Apothecary
9FF
70K Treasury (saving for RR)

smeborgOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 01, 2008 - 04:47 PM

My preferred starting line-up for DEs in a league would be:

3 Blitzers
2 Assassins
6 Linemen
2 Re-rolls

I would be uncomfortable starting with less than 3 Blitzers - I think they are the main key to starting well and surviving the first few encounters. As for the Assassins, they're just so good, I think you should start with the pair.

Hope this helps.

Smeborg

oryxwildOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 25, 2008 - 12:53 AM

I've always been a proponent of this list:

4 blitzer
6 lineman
1 runner
2 rr

this is a great setup - 5 ma7, and score twice with the runner in the first game to get leader for the third reroll on the cheap (and an apothecary with any luck).
but recently I've been more and more tempted by akdave's

witch
3 blitzer
7 lineman
2 rr

setup (which I came to on my own a few weeks ago, and now may end up switching to in my league). Although it's a bit more vulnerable in the short game, in the long run the threat of crowdpushes starting game 1 is a big advantage.

I'm pretty torn... But those are the two strongest starting lists in my eyes.

El_hombreOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 19, 2009 - 12:23 PM

Belgium
I'm sticking with

4 blitzer
6 lineman
1 runner
2 rr

over

witch
3 blitzer
7 lineman
2 rr

because you start with 1 more positional, ànd 1 more player with MA7. Also, in the long term, you won't be needing 7 linies...
also, the 4th player with block allows you to make 4 "safe" blocks, what I (at least in a starting team) like a lot more than a non-block-frenzier...

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic