NAF Logo
leftstar May 11, 2024 - 06:05 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Nice: Perfect Blood Bowl weather. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
TaxalOffline
Post subject: How many games ???  PostPosted: Jan 31, 2008 - 07:15 AM

Canada
Trying to get a feeling out there for now......

How many games would you be willing to play in one day for a one day tourney.....

Thinking along the line of 7 to 10....sounds crazy, but it would be a HARDCORE day of Blood Bowl

Taxal

Reply with quote Back to top
SpazzfistOffline
Post subject: RE: How many games ???  PostPosted: Jan 31, 2008 - 07:38 AM

Canada
Depends on the length of the games. If you put two minute timer on them, then that woul dmake it really fast paced and exciting, I could see getting a lot in (upwards of seven)

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

Eric.R.Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 31, 2008 - 07:45 AM

Vancouver, BC
Usually after 4 games my brain has gone to mush. Although that is in part due to the partying the night before the tourny. Although if I knew what I was getting into and there was ample break time I could go for 24 hours straight.

TaxalOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 31, 2008 - 07:50 AM

Canada
If I can get this going it would be for the last weekend of November 29th - 30th. A local that serves drinks (Legion) would be a must if we go 12+ hours.

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 31, 2008 - 08:01 AM

Canada
I think I could play 7 or 8 okish but after that I would fall asleep, this may make you want to do 9-10.

There needs to be some breaks with a bit of distraction also but don't want the times between games to drag out too much.

what kind of format, are you still thinking of free for all followed by play offs?
If it was free for all that could be good as not much pressure oneach game so more relaxed.

TaxalOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 31, 2008 - 08:32 AM

Canada
Early idea is a free for all 5 games max. Then everyone gets put in three pools A-B-C...Myself and Pat would fill in to make sure the pools are even in numbers. The three pools are -Cup -Shield -Plate. You would play another three games to win the pool. So no 1st 2nd 3rd. The three winners would ahve thier name engraved on the pool trophy and would receive a HARDCORE trophy of said pool. All other categories are open to everyone...will not have most td`s for each pool as an example.
So far thats seems to be the way I am going. Have to keep it different from all the other tournies, and I think it is heading in the right direction. Feedback would be great from all of you...especially from anyone that has ran a tourney before.

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 31, 2008 - 08:45 AM

Canada
Sounds good to me.

once you've split the people into pools who plays who and how do you decide the pool winner?

That sounds like the right number of games to me. Should be able to do it in less than 24 hours too, which is ace. maybe enforce 3.3 minute turn timers, that worked ok at deathbowl. 2 minutes is too short, some people can handle it but not everyone is used to it or could get used to it.

I like that the most TDs etc is tied to everyone but each pool is competing for a trophy too. makes it more to play for than in a regular tournie where only a fee people can win a trophy by 2/3 of the way through.

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 31, 2008 - 10:34 AM

Canada
I would like to be able to make it, but there is not going to be any way - especially if it is for one day. Sorry dude, it sounds like fun, but no way I can be there to school you chumps!

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 31, 2008 - 10:46 AM

Canada
      Spazzfist wrote:
I would like to be able to make it, but there is not going to be any way - especially if it is for one day. Sorry dude, it sounds like fun, but no way I can be there to school you chumps!

its no different than going for a weekend.

we only play 6 games at a tournament normally, this would be 8. then you can rest and travel home afterwards.

I presume it would start early and then end 18-20 hours later, like 3 or 4 am. then you could crash till noon and travel home.

TaxalOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 31, 2008 - 10:55 AM

Canada
That was the idea behind it......Stay up late playing / drinking and leave the next day when your ready.

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 31, 2008 - 11:01 AM

Canada
Yeah, well part of the other reason is that I have enough trouble getting time off for the weeknds that I do go away (and not from work, it's that Mrs. Spazz tries to keep me on a short leash! Laughing)

No promises, but I will see what I can do - have to be closer to the time.

CramyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 31, 2008 - 11:20 AM

Canada
I like the idea, as Ottawa is pretty close to Montreal. One day tourney's can turn people off if they live far away though. Most of us have to pick and chose which tournament we go to (would love to go to all of them, but can't), one day events are often less attractive.

A one day event is better for me if I can drive there in the morning, play, then drive back the same day. If we play 7-10 games, not sure I'll be able to drive back... Depends at what time we finish. Well, with the adrenaline rush and a few guys in the car with me, I would probably be OK.

If the above can be achieved (Ottawa-Montreal, play, Montreal-Ottawa) in one day, then I can probably do it. The attractiveness of this is that it is much easier to convince the misses for me to go as I'm away only for one day, and there is no lodging cost.

I love the pool idea. This would work fine even if the tournament is over 2 days. Keep that idea for sure, regarldess of if the tourney is one day or two.

How much time do you plan a game to last? I think that you will need timers and a set time to play a game as well.

Example: 2 minute timers means 64 minutes total for the game. Add setup and between-turn stuff, lets say 1 hour 30 minutes for a game (using a game timer for all tables). 15 minutes between games for people to wrap-up, do whatever they need to do (get beer, smoke, washroom, call wife Wink, other), and for the organizers to enter results and figure-out the next match-ups and stuff. Assume 30 minutes for lunch and 30 minutes for dinner (helps if eating facilities are in-house, or very close).

8am to 9am: Regsitration and setup
9am to 10:45am: Game 1 + break
10:45am to 12:30pm: Game 2 + break
12:30pm to 1pm: Lunch
1pm to 2:45pm: Game 3 + break
2:45pm to 4:30pm: Game 4 + break
4:30pm to 6:15pm: Game 5 + break
6:15pm to 6:45pm: Dinner
6:45pm to 8:30pm: Game 6 + break
8:30pm to 10:15pm: Game 7 + break
10:15pm to midnight: Game 8 + break
Midnight to 1am: Final presentation

Game 8 is a bit of a stretch for people driving back to Ottawa the same day. Crazy for the GTA and Niagara folks, but I leave it up to them to comment on. Very Happy Very thight schedule to manage, but I think that it is doable if you are well organized.

Cramy

TaxalOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 31, 2008 - 11:26 AM

Canada
Thats why I am starting the topic now...

As I get things written down on paper, I will post it here and any input you guys can give me would be great. I will in the near future start a topic with the name of the tourney..... " TRI-HARDCORE ".

Thanks alot guys

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 31, 2008 - 11:52 AM

Canada
wow, 2 minute turns crazy. but i guess that is better than a 4 am finish.

If we are going crazy for time why not put a timer on people setting up before a kick off too.
and non of the grogtheimpaler tactic of doing a bunch of stuff then starting the timer, no turn around all the models, check turn marker in place then press start nonsense Smile

Eric.R.Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 31, 2008 - 12:29 PM

Vancouver, BC
      Notorious_jtb wrote:
wow, 2 minute turns crazy.

It is actually not that crazy. Spazz and I did this at a League night and more often finished our turns with 30 sec. left over. You get the hang of it quick.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic