NAF Logo
leftstar May 13, 2024 - 08:11 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Go for it! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
EvilTrevOffline
Post subject: Inducements  PostPosted: Jul 09, 2008 - 11:19 AM

Are inducements only available for League matches, or can they be used in "friendly" one off games as well?

Example: In a one off game I pick a team that only has a TV of 750K. My opponent picks a 1000K team. This gives me 250K of inducements + I can transfer up to 250K to petty cash giving me 500K to spend. Having read the sections on League games and Inducements several times, I err to the side that they cant be used in one off games, but more to the point is that how everyone is playing it? I am just returning to BB after several years and dont want to cause any probs........well not too many!

Trev

Reply with quote Back to top
SpazzfistOffline
Post subject: RE: Inducements  PostPosted: Jul 09, 2008 - 01:31 PM

Canada
I don't see why you couldn't use inducements in a friendly game - in fact I would think that it should be encouraged to allow people to become more familiar with the tinducements before putting their precious teams at risk! Razz

However, I feel that I should point out that the inducements are done after petty cash has been transferred from the treasury, so this would avoid any dodgy tricks like the one you were suggesting. So 750K value + 250K Petty Cash = 1000K TV. So in this case there would be no inducements.

What you might do in the one off game is agree to a certain value of inducements that each player can take before the game - (e.g. each of you can take up to 200K in inducements) and then you can select what you want to try things out - (200K Random Event Cards rock!)

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

ApocryphaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 09, 2008 - 05:58 PM

Port Hope Ontario
I never thought I would have had to correct the mighty Spazzfist, but I well, you did overlook something my friend.

Under team value on page 25 does say the following:

Quote:
"Note that gold in the treasury and any players missing the game due to injury do not count towards the Team Value".

So I guess he would have only a 750K value team.

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 09, 2008 - 06:07 PM

United States of America
How dare you even consider doubting the almighty Spaz

pg.28
Pre-match Sequence of play
Transfer Gold from Treasury to Petty Cash

...blahh blahh blahh...
and adds directly to the TV for the match ... blahh blahh ....

EvilTrevOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 10, 2008 - 12:46 AM

Thanks for that. I can see the error in my example now.

Trev

ApocryphaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 10, 2008 - 05:25 AM

Port Hope Ontario
Oh woe is me for I see the error of my ways. I have been rightly smited by the valourous daloonieshaman for my error in judgement against the omnipotent Spazzfist. I shall never doubt again Wink

(But I'll get you next time Gadg....um....Spazzfist! Next time! *Merrroooowwww*)

sydalvOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 29, 2009 - 03:00 AM

In other words If I have a team with TV 1220 and cash 50k gc
My opponent hav a TV of 1290
that will give me 70k petty cash.
Then it doesn't matter how much money I spend, I won't any inducements that cost over 70k gc
What is the point with the pettycash?

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 29, 2009 - 06:00 AM

Canada
      sydalv wrote:
In other words If I have a team with TV 1220 and cash 50k gc
My opponent hav a TV of 1290
that will give me 70k petty cash.
Then it doesn't matter how much money I spend, I won't any inducements that cost over 70k gc

There is a difference between "petty cash" and money in the treasury.

When you do not spend a money after any given game then that is considered "money in the treasury". Money isn the treasury does NOT count towards your total Team Value. When playing your next game if you should decide to spend some of it (to buy a bribe for example), then that money becomes part of the "petty cash" and DOES count towards your team value.

Just follow the pre-game sequence in the rulebook. If you want to spend some of your cash before the game then it counts towards the inducements (either lessening the amount you get or increasing the amount your opponent gets).

Bjorn9486Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 29, 2009 - 09:09 AM

Binghamton, New York
      sydalv wrote:

Spazz explained it perfectly. The point with pettycash is basically for the overdog. If I've got 100k sitting in the bank and I'm an elf team, maybe I want 2 BB babes. However, me being the overdog, I'm also going to thus give away 100k more of inducements to my opponent, so I need to weigh the pro's and con's of the situation.

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 29, 2009 - 09:42 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Petty cash is really only for the Overdog. The only reason to use Petty Cash if you are the underdog is if you are getting almost no inducements and really want something.

Example ... I'm playing Flings and am a 10k underdog but I REALLY want a Master Chef (LRB 5+ rules) ... so in this case as the underdog I transfer money to petty cash to get the Chef that I cannot get.

Outside of needing to get an inducement that you really need/want because you have 40k or less in inducement money is about the only reason I can think of for an Underdog to ever use Petty Cash .... outside of this .... Petty Cash was written with the Overdog in mind.

Galak

SetomidorOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 29, 2009 - 11:30 AM

Umeå, Sweden
To be honest I have a hard time imagining even the overdog using Petty Cash, unless the Overdog is Goblins or Halflings and can take advantage of their special race discounts (and having these teams as overdogs are not that common...)

I've brought this up before, but in my opinion the entire Petty Cash mechanic is wasted space in the rulebook and a constant source of confusion to many players. Hands up everyone who actually used it even once?

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 29, 2009 - 12:31 PM

Canada
      Bjorn9486 wrote:
Spazz explained it perfectly.

Stop, I'm blushing! Laughing

Setomidor wrote:
To be honest I have a hard time imagining even the overdog using Petty Cash, unless the Overdog is Goblins or Halflings and can take advantage of their special race discounts (and having these teams as overdogs are not that common...)

I was reading on Talkbloodbowl about a guy who has a dwarf team with 14 players and something like 300,000 in the treasury. If he didn't want to have to wait for inducements for a Star Player, or just wanted to get a bunch of bribes so that he could foul at will, then why not! Some people have the cash to burn!

SetomidorOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 29, 2009 - 02:32 PM

Umeå, Sweden
Simply because if you spend your cash on bribes, you will generate the same amount of inducements for your opponent! In other words, you'll be paying for those bribes yourself, and he gets an equal amount for free...

Bjorn9486Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 29, 2009 - 07:23 PM

Binghamton, New York
      Setomidor wrote:
I've brought this up before, but in my opinion the entire Petty Cash mechanic is wasted space in the rulebook and a constant source of confusion to many players. Hands up everyone who actually used it even once?

I've done it to buy a 50k card; having the scare tactic of the card keeps your opponent in-line.

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 29, 2009 - 07:23 PM

Canada
      Setomidor wrote:
Simply because if you spend your cash on bribes, you will generate the same amount of inducements for your opponent! In other words, you'll be paying for those bribes yourself, and he gets an equal amount for free...

True, but if you have the cash, then there may be some things worth buying even if only for one game. Especially considering that many of these things would not be normally available to you otherwise.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic