NAF Logo
leftstar May 11, 2024 - 07:44 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
The High Elf team is overpowered. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
BB_BabeOffline
Post subject: ArisiaBowl IV, Boston, 18 Jan 2009  PostPosted: Dec 28, 2008 - 02:01 PM

Arisia has finally confirmed that we will have the space to run the ArisiaBowl on the Sunday of the convention again this year. Arisia is a science fiction convetion running Friday-Monday over the Martin Luther King weekend. There's a 24-hour gaming room, open Blood Bowl gaming and pick-up games can be arranged at any time.

We're in the same room this year, Paul Revere A, just inside the front doors of the hotel. But we have much more limited time, eek. So this year it will be a three-round tournament. 2-1/2 minute time limit per turn; once per half each player can extend their play for one turn by an extra 2-1/2 minutes. Timers will be used to make sure we can vacate the room in time.

Once again this will be a Grand Minors Tournament. 7s rosters, pick a home pitch type of your choice: Beach, Oz Sevens (regular), Sevens, or Street. Everyone who played last year loved the format. Download the tourney rules from the website:
http://www.geocities.com/arisiabowl/
Scroll down the main page a bit for the rules link.
You can also sign up for the tourney there too.
Click the Photos page to see the astounding legacy trophy!

Registration for Arisia itself is separate from registering for the tourney. Con registration includes access to all con functions, including the Con Suite with free snacks and drinks 24 hours. There is no additional cost for the tourney.

http://2009.arisia.org/

Some Boston Blood Bowl Stuff
http://redwings-wilder.livejournal.com/

Reply with quote Back to top
Melifaxis
Post subject: RE: ArisiaBowl IV, Boston, 18 Jan 2009  PostPosted: Jan 06, 2009 - 12:34 PM

United States of America
I'm game...

aka Rob (NAF #248)
President of the Lord Borak Fan Club
Founder of the GCLU
Commissioner, TO, Goblin King, NEBBN TSO

Melifaxis
Post subject: RE: ArisiaBowl IV, Boston, 18 Jan 2009  PostPosted: Jan 12, 2009 - 10:40 AM

United States of America
Sucks that they shortened the room availability after people had already paid for convention tickets.

Are you going to allow the three new "experimental" teams Mo? If so, I may give one a whirl.

aka Rob (NAF #248)
Founder of the GCLU

Melifaxis
Post subject: RE: ArisiaBowl IV, Boston, 18 Jan 2009  PostPosted: Jan 16, 2009 - 02:00 PM

United States of America
Ok, I'll default to old school since you're MIA.

aka Rob (NAF #248)
Founder of the GCLU

Melifaxis
Post subject: RE: ArisiaBowl IV, Boston, 18 Jan 2009  PostPosted: Jan 19, 2009 - 07:40 AM

United States of America
This is what I get for posting a question on TBB and NAF and forgetting I posted it in two places.

I went with orcs becuase I didn't see Mo's response on TBB.

Thanks for another fun day of Blood Bowl, Mo!

Gang Green escaped with a lucky win in their first match against Blazepoet's "Double Skulls" when the ball bounced off the wall and into the waiting arms of my thrower who had spent three turns unable to pick up the slippery bugger. I was down to four guys on the pitch from the beating he was handing out (three casualties aginst me in the first three turns). My chucker rolled out to his right and found an open blitzer to net the early lead. From there I evened up the number of players on the pitch with a key KO on a blitzer that just refused to come back and play and a casualty of my own. Josh had to take a few risks he rather wouldn't have once we were playing 5 on 4 and ended up turning over the ball on an interception. I escaped with a 2-0 win, in a match that I was sure I was going to lose.

My second match was against Shane, who has been DODGING me in tournaments for far too long. Wink Shane saw that the new teams were allowed and had a Chaos Pact squad ready to go. We both quickly agreed with a laugh that whomever won our first tournament match could always just say it was only sevens. Things went well for me early. I intercepted a bomb, but when my troll went to throw it back he fumbled it at his own feet! Despite this, I smashed Shane's other goblin into pieces so the thrown TD threat was eliminated, and I was able to grab a 1-0 lead and defend for the remainder of the half. But, then I need to kick again and it sailed out the back of the end zone. Suddenly, I found myself staring at an ogre ballcarrier in a cage fronted by a troll, a maurauder with a claw, and a big handed one to boot (who had earlier grabbed the ball in three tackle zones!). Luckily, I was able to wear down the cage enough to blast the ball free and start it up the other way with a hand-off to a blitzer (Shane very politely reminded me that I didn't need to pass and risk the extra roll). I escaped our first meeting with a 2-0 victory, but it was only sevens...

The Championship match would be against the defending champs. Mo's very own Valholl Swanmaidens. Unfortunately, for them they were the number two seed and playing on my street. The psychological advantage of this seemed to do the trick as her snow troll failed 4/6 Wild Animal checks in the first half. This coupled with AV7 let me get a numbers advantage that lead to a 1-0 lead at the half. I was on my heels the entire second half and was sure that we were headed to overtime. Mo drove the ball deep into my end, but I managed to blast it free and start moving it the other way. I should have passed it downfield to an open space, but decided not to risk the fumble. This almost cost me the match. Mo blasted the ball free on the blitz and was poised to score. It was my turn to have a big guy standing around doing nothing and the Swanmaidens had most of my orcs eating turf downfield. A black orc risked a GFI blitz to knock the ball free again and my thrower managed a pick up roll for the second time in the tourney. Again, I should have thrown but elected not to. Time expired and Gang Green escaped with a 1-0 championship victory.

The shortened tourney detracted from the fun, but this is something we'll provide feedback to Arisia for doing to us with less than a week's notice. Next year, my gray-primed orcs shall be fully painted and ready to defend their legacy!

Yeah, I am totally jazzed to have my name on such a damn fine looking trophy! Scott Lefton did an AMAZING job on this.

aka Rob (NAF #248)
Founder of the GCLU

BB_BabeOffline
Post subject: RE: ArisiaBowl IV, Boston, 18 Jan 2009  PostPosted: Jan 19, 2009 - 01:32 PM

Hmm, I got the email ping from TBB that you'd replied to that topic. But didn't get the ping that you'd replied to this one too. Computer hiccups.

Congrats on the win!

For the 7's roster for Chaos Pact, we treated the big guys like a single (0-3) position, and reduced it by half and rounded up like we do with all the non-Liner positions. So they could pick up to 2 out of 3 of the big guys. This worked well for the tourney.

Cheers
Mo

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject: RE: ArisiaBowl IV, Boston, 18 Jan 2009  PostPosted: Jan 19, 2009 - 02:34 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Glad to hear a Pact team showed up ... glad to hear it proved balanced for the event. All good news to me.

Galak

BB_BabeOffline
Post subject: RE: ArisiaBowl IV, Boston, 18 Jan 2009  PostPosted: Jan 20, 2009 - 05:04 PM

Hi Galak,

It was balanced, but for the 7s roster lacked Pact feeling with only 1 chosen animosity player on that roster.

I'll finish up my Slann conversions soon and start trying them out in our regular games.

Mo

BB_BabeOffline
Post subject: RE: ArisiaBowl IV, Boston, 18 Jan 2009  PostPosted: Jan 21, 2009 - 09:14 PM

I've updated the ArisiaBowl website with Tourney Results and Photos.

I'm going to wait a little bit to see if 2 players are joining NAF or not before putting in the results here.

Mo

ShaneOffline
Post subject: RE: ArisiaBowl IV, Boston, 18 Jan 2009  PostPosted: Jan 22, 2009 - 03:16 PM

Boston-ish

Chaos Pact was a little, well, not adequately flavored, if animosity is supposed to play a pivotal role in their playbook. My roster only had one player with Animosity, and that Gobbo ended up being the focus of my offense, never needing to make a crucial roll. Two Big Guys was somewhat powerful on 7s, but not overpowering against the Orcs and Dwarves I faced. Effectively, I was playing Hornless Beastmen with Pass skill access. (Why? Did somebody not want to admit a typo on the original team, and claimed some backhanded rationale based on a Chaos All-Star figure?) Overall, I would probably been better served taking a Dark Elf than the Goblin Star Bomber (4 bombs thrown, 3 INTS. Awesome.) Additionally, Really Stupid is much worse when there are only 6 potential teammates to tell you to get up, as opposed to 10. Trolls are close to more trouble than they are worth in 7s.

It was great to finally play in a tourney with Rob where he couldn't rig the pairings to keep away from playing me. Wink If I had a little more experience playing Chaos Pact, he wouldn't have gotten away with the flukish victory. But hey, it was only 7s! Rolling Eyes

Melifaxis
Post subject: RE: ArisiaBowl IV, Boston, 18 Jan 2009  PostPosted: Jan 29, 2009 - 08:29 AM

United States of America
If they haven't signed-up for NAF by now, they're probably not going to. Sad Guess they lose out...

Shane wrote:

If I had a little more experience playing Chaos Pact, he wouldn't have gotten away with the flukish victory. But hey, it was only 7s! Rolling Eyes

Ah, there are the inevitable excuses. Laughing

Talk is cheap. Just bring your A game next time Wink

aka Rob (NAF #248)
Founder of the GCLU

BB_BabeOffline
Post subject: RE: ArisiaBowl IV, Boston, 18 Jan 2009  PostPosted: Jan 29, 2009 - 01:56 PM

OK, results entered. Once a person with magic powers hits the magic button, they should show up. With 4 out of 6 players being Naffers, Rob you played the only match in each round that counts. Good thing you won them all!

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic