NAF Logo
leftstar May 03, 2024 - 02:38 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Orca Cola, proud sponsor of the NAF rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
PakoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 17, 2011 - 06:45 AM

Spain
"Best Coaches of every country" are free to organize a team and join WC. And then try to win it.

I absolutely agree with WC as a party for all NAF players in the world.

The point here is the one refered by Marco_Gianni. If you start to organize WC for the best ones, regionals to get a place and so on, you're killing Halflings, Goblins, friendship and party and beers between and after matches as occurs in other games.

Let the game free. Take your Country ProTeam and come to beat my friendly and drunked team. We were 5th past WC... Twisted Evil

Reply with quote Back to top
DiablangeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 17, 2011 - 09:03 AM

Pako wrote:
Let the game free. Take your Country ProTeam and come to beat my friendly and drunked team. We were 5th past WC... Twisted Evil

We were also a team of friends with an important part of drunk among us specially the days 2 and 3 and we ended up... third... Very Happy

Sometimes it does not take (only Wink) powergame strategy to have a good time and also score good results.

I think the example can even be taken to the highest level with the Azes, as they are a bunch of (ok, lucky bastards, yes) friends enjoying the same game... Smile

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 17, 2011 - 10:55 AM

United States of America
So what is the NAF World Cup?
only 2 choices here

A cup of the best teams around the world aka 1 TEAM PER COUNTRY!!!!!!!!
or
A free for all with some kind of weird team format.

Make up your mind

Marco_GianniOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 17, 2011 - 01:34 PM

Well, my point of view is that the two events deserve to be...

A "real" world cup should be a competitive tournament, including selections and why not 1 team per nation.
The present World Cup is rather an open world tournament (and I must say I like it, to avoid any misunderstanding), where anybody can come and win without having defeated the best players in the world and, as a matter of fact, I know what I'm talking about Wink

I don't think that powergaming doesn't fit with fun and friendship. I don't think that it's possible to win a Bloodbowl game without having any pleasure. I'm quite sure that all of us are pleased when we win and, finally, not so affected by a loss. The opposition between powergaming and good spirit is a nonsense imho. For instance Eurobowl 2010 has been (proudly) won by a particularly friendly (Spanish) EDIT: english team, all very good players with a very good spirit, and the people who were there (for EB or Eur'Open Bowl, the individual side event) have spent an exciting and pleasant moment during these 2 days.

But maybe all this is off topic regarding the initial thread theme ?

Last edited by Marco_Gianni on Jan 17, 2011 - 04:12 PM; edited 1 time in total

SebcoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 17, 2011 - 01:57 PM

France
EuroBowl 2010 has been won by the English team, not the Spanish one. Taht said, I totally agree with you. Wink

Bowl des Neiges XIX : 2022 february 26th & 27th

Marco_GianniOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 17, 2011 - 04:06 PM

oops... sorry mates Embarassed

How do you call that ? A slip ? Laughing

BabsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 17, 2011 - 04:23 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
I still think that we are left here with limited places. Given that there is more interest than places available, what is the best way to deal with that?

And I still think that the 'friendly' spirit of coaches will be present regardless. Eurobowl is a prime example of that, whether the teams are representatives or not. I think that this 'representative' ideal that I have has stemmed from the first world cup where Oz/Nz were only allocated _one_ team. This perhaps changed the perspective, and everyone in europe had a different idea (and maybe the northern hemisphere!). Interestingly the people who attended in 2007 perhaps also saw it more as a 'world party' than a 'world cup'.

That said, the original idea was for it to be a 'world cup' and I saw that some countries had more teams than others as representative of the total number of BB players in that area (which has already been discussed...)

What is also an interesting factor is the 'cost' of attending. Time off work and $$$ from here in Aus is very high to attend a european tournament. Airfares alone are around $2000 return, as well as a long time there and back, meaning time off work etc etc.

When such effort is required to attend, I personally expect some level of competitiveness for 'their country'. The story I heard about the french national anthem being sung emotionally by the winning team in 2007 was evocative (I heard also that they were also very intoxicated for some of the tournament too!)

Anyway, this rambled post is simply stating that there are limited places, many more than there were available in 2007. I see it as a shame that there has to be a 'lottery' to see who goes and who doesn't, as I would have preferred some kind of qualification system to work out who went and who didn't.

That's it really.

Washed up old has been.
Ex-official GW Blood Bowl Rules Committee member
Ex-NAF Tournament Organiser, Australasia
Co-Author of the Feudball first novel.

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 17, 2011 - 06:29 PM

United States of America
Well to late now they have made their decision.

We know that this is not going to be a World Cup.

You can call it that but you can also call a skunk a rose.

TripleskullOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 18, 2011 - 02:01 AM

Denmark
It’s pretty funny for an American to have a rigid definition of world cup. Very Happy

I think it’s very sad, that there are a limited number of places, but I can understand why it is so. Handeling 600-700 people would be a handfull. And I’m pretty sure, the organizers are doing their best.

It has been stated very clearly, that the world cup is not planned to stay in Europe, and reducing the number of players by limiting the number of teams from each country to one would be a disaster in my opinion. The greatness of this world cup lies not in the single best team from all countries being there, but in the amazing amount of bb players present, including most of the world elite. That being said, any nation should be allowed at least one team, but I guess it’s already so?

MootazOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 18, 2011 - 03:05 AM

Undisclosed
Question regarding the tournament rules:
http://thenaf.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=5088

Illegal Procedure is not in effect. I suppose the 4 minute rule is also not in effect? I think so but should be clearly stated.

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 19, 2011 - 10:31 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
      Babs wrote:
Some people are approaching this tournament as 'Blood Bowl world party' where everyone who wants to come can come.

Sounds great to me. Although I can appreciate people who want a more structured and competitive format I find the idea of selection and qualification elitist and slightly distasteful. Everyone come and party and play Smile I'd rather go to that tournament than one people have to qualify for.

BabsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 20, 2011 - 03:45 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
Doubleskulls - so you find Eurobowl distasteful?

(I hear what you are saying. Just look at the waves the Ausbowl has created close to home for us. I'm just stating that _given_ restricted numbers, I think it's a better system than a lottery).

Washed up old has been.
Ex-official GW Blood Bowl Rules Committee member
Ex-NAF Tournament Organiser, Australasia
Co-Author of the Feudball first novel.

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 20, 2011 - 04:21 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
Since I've never been to EuroBowl and aren't likely to I'm ambivalent. I am very keen to go to the WC but I can't justify the cost. If I couldn't go because I wasn't allowed I'd be much more concerned. I think there would be less waves if the venue accommodates everyone who wants to come. Then you don't have to worry about selecting one representative team or restricting the number of teams. The only reason the WC has a problem is that the venue can't accommodate everyone who wants to come. Anything that restricts attendance causes problems. Voluntarily reducing the number of attendees just makes it worse imo.

GrumbledookOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 20, 2011 - 05:02 AM

babs just fyi the eurobowl has caused certain amounts of controversy over the years with regards to who gets to play or not

each country decides among themselves how their team is picked and methods differ for different nations

I know some people are put out of place as they feel that you need to be in a clique to get picked

running qualification tournaments can also cause other events to get an over competitive feel and some don't want anything to do with that

nothing is without its problems ;]

Jon

GlowwormOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 20, 2011 - 09:44 AM

Undisclosed
      Doubleskulls wrote:
      Babs wrote:
Some people are approaching this tournament as 'Blood Bowl world party' where everyone who wants to come can come.

Sounds great to me. Although I can appreciate people who want a more structured and competitive format I find the idea of selection and qualification elitist and slightly distasteful. Everyone come and party and play Smile I'd rather go to that tournament than one people have to qualify for.

Im one of the "lucky" ones who's got a place already (as have many players how have posted here I assume)

I intend to do both, play 3 days of competative BB and enjoy the party!

Ive never been to Eurobowl (and doubt if ill ever go, probably not a good enough player) so should I just stay at home for this one?

How do we pick who goes? if I get placed at a small tournament say Newquay (12-16 players) do i then qualify for Thrud or spiky (40-60+) and do well there do i get a chance to apply. And who has earnt the right to tell me not to go!!

Sorry, that really doesnt work for me, I have a friend who attends MTG tourneys (just using that as an example, not singling it out) and all he ever talks about is the Ulta-competative nature of the games.

thats not how I want to see BB go, i like the informal attitude that most players have, yes its still very competative but is fun as well.

Lets not forget this is a game (a game we all love but still a game) theres never be an "Elite" class of player and i feel you sugestion is starting down that road, please correct me if Im wrong.
If you are going (by whatever selection proccess) Ill happily buy you a pint, shake your hand and discuss this further.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic