NAF Logo
leftstar Mar 28, 2024 - 02:09 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
What are the odds I'd roll another one? rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Marco_GianniOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 20, 2011 - 01:26 PM

I think that things shouldn't be mixed up that way.

MTG community is mainly made up by teens, that's why the spirit is so arrogant and unpleasant. I believe in the maturity of the BB players community to avoid such behaviours.

As everybody say "it's just a game"... Well, the purpose of any game is to win, isn't it ? Why should it be a shame or a threat for the community health ? Aren't we clever enough to be involved in a game and have normal relationships toward our opponents in the same time ?

Eurobowl is not open because each Nation is represented by only one 8-players team. That makes sense! This competition is very interesting for those who play but also for each national community (just like for a football or rugby torny... Soon the 6 Nations tournament begins, beware to your ass you Scots!! ^^). Beside this competition an individual open tournament has been held. That was an excellent idea.

The NWC is not in the same move. People come from (very) far away and really want to participate to an open big party. And that's gonna be great! Very Happy

Anyway I just want to say that you don't need to be scared of "the way things are turning in"

Reply with quote Back to top
DeathwingOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 20, 2011 - 04:25 PM
Former President

England
It was a very conscious decision last time around that the 1st WC would be a big party and celebration of the NAF community. A chance to get as many old friends who could make it in one place at one time and of course a great opportunity to make new ones and further strengthen our international ties. We also wanted to give as many coaches as possible the chance to play in a team environment and represent their country regardless of ability.

Some people at the time were very clear that we were heading for a disaster and that the WC should be about putting the strongest players from each country in an elite competition, as was first mooted back in the day. But then the WC would have probably simply ended up as Eurobowl + Aus + USA + Canada.

Now there's no reason such a competition couldn't go ahead in future to find the elite amongst the elite (organisation issues aside) but call it 'NAF World Championship' (or something more creative).

But in my opinion that's not what the World Cup should be about. We obviously had a few issues last time, but the vast majority of coaches came away with a huge grin and a lot of new friends. The indication of that success is clear in the numbers wanting to attend this time.

I believe it remains the biggest single tournament in terms of attendees and most international in terms of countries represented of any GW game system to date. Until October when that gets blown out of the water by a considerable margin. I wish people would stop and think about that and appreciate the mammoth organisational effort that is being undertaken here before being critical. Most of it is obviously intended as constructive, some of it is frankly churlish, but it all weighs and adds to the load.

BabsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 20, 2011 - 04:38 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
...and please don't hear me saying that 'elitist competition' is better. I'm just stating that I approached this considering limited places and had open discussions on Ausbowl.com about how to organise teams 'together'.

All I'm really commenting on is it's clear that many countries did not even consider that there wouldn't be enough spaces to fill interest, and there has been no discussion on working out how to rationalise their teams, because of the prevailing 'world party' ideal.

At the end of the day I'm on the same page as everyone else, disappointed that it's had to revert to a lottery style system to figure out who can come and who can't - when it could have been done a different way.

In saying this I'm trying to show that it isn't solely the organisers fault who have booked a venue with a clear number of teams and places in mind, however everyone 'expected' to be able to rock up and play - including _17_ teams from some countries!!! (My understanding is that is about 1/3 of the total number of attendees of the last one!)

Washed up old has been.
Ex-official GW Blood Bowl Rules Committee member
Ex-NAF Tournament Organiser, Australasia
Co-Author of the Feudball first novel.

NazgobOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 24, 2011 - 03:22 AM

England
      glowworm wrote:
How do we pick who goes? if I get placed at a small tournament say Newquay (12-16 players) do i then qualify for Thrud or spiky (40-60+) and do well there do i get a chance to apply. And who has earnt the right to tell me not to go!!
Didn't you come 4th at Newquay? Smile

TitouchOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 24, 2011 - 04:03 AM

Got your point Babs.

I have little to add to Marco's very good posts which reflect quite well my opinion. Just to make it concise and simple :

1) A key reason to why we in Europe are eager to attend to "the big open event" being this WC II is simply that we already have our competitive nations tournament : it is Eurobowl, works very well, and it is held each year except WC year.

2) Even if WC II will not be 100% competitive, do not worry, you'll get your ass kicked by top-notch teams if you come Wink Anyway, this is the strength of the Swiss system : competitive (or lucky) teams will end battling together in tough matches for the title. And those here for fun only will find their drunk counterparts as well Smile

Though, if you are missing a "1-team-per-nation-competitive-event" aside the big open BloodBowl fest of NAF WC, we could discuss a new schedule for international team tournaments : introduce a "WorldBowl" in the middle of the 4 years between each WC. It could simply be a worldwide nations cup, Eurobowl-type format but including non-European teams.

That would make the BB cycle look like this :

Year 1 : NAF WC, big feast, open format 6-man teams
Year 2 : Eurobowl, non-open 8-man teams
Year 3 : WorldBowl, non-open, x-man teams (to be discussed)
Year 4 : Eurobowl

And so on. That would make the first WorldBowl happen in 2013. Maybe the opportunity to test a competitive world event, outside Europe in front of WC 2015 ?

My 2 cents

Jerome/Titouch

GlowwormOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 24, 2011 - 06:05 PM

Undisclosed
      Nazgob wrote:
Didn't you come 4th at Newquay? Smile

Yes, and 4th at Exciles......

your not helping any Laughing

PakoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 06:06 AM

Spain
Couple of ideas about it:

First. Guys, Eurobowl is just a subproduct of the moment in which was firstly organized. Years ago, not many players can travel arround Europe to play. Right now, BloodBowl community is better organized and more and more people is playing the game.

I understand the idea of Eurobowl. I agree. And people of Spanish Team (hope some other Eurobowl players) are friends of mine.

Said that, I don't think Eurobowl is representative or even is fair.

"Each country decides the members of the team" is not right. In Spain veteran players of Spanish Team comes every year. You cannot enter into the team even if you're the best NAF Ranked player in the world.

I don't want anyone misunderstund me. I have no better ideas to define teams. I have no suggestions to improve Eurobowl, and I guess I will never come to play it and it's fine for me.

I'm just pointing out that Eurobowl is a tourney with one single team coming from each country, but not at all representative of a Eurobowl in terms of "best players of each country". I agree that probably 80% of them are there. But it is not the example, or at least an example like Euro football competition.

The question is that if you want to get a REAL Eurobowl or NAF World Cup, you should define properly the conditions to be qualified:

- Maybe regional/country tournaments to be qualified
- Maybe NAF ranking with the team to join in
- Maybe last year NAF results

Any of those criteria (IMO) will end in a over competitive BloodBowl enviroment to get the "semi-professional" places for those toruneys.

Most important thing.

You, guys, forgot that this is a dice game. Fucking lucky bastards can win a tourney rolling dice. I've seen Human full mighty blow team winning SkullCup Rolling Eyes

Bloodbowl is a game related with things that are not so common in other strategy, roleplaying or tabletop games.

I think taking it to the "elite-tourneys" is taking it colser to the other games, BTW those games that for all us are not comparable with Bloodbowl in terms of fun.

You can do legal dirty tricks, shout to your opponent, play drinking... that's Bloodbowl.

As said before, winners, 3rds or even 5ths in the past WC were people that join a team just for fun, independently of their personal results, and they get it.

From my point of view, every country (or group of players from a country) can organize a team, call it [Country] Team and try to get the best players of the country.

Then, come to the NAF WC and see what will hapen with you... Wink

KithorOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 10, 2011 - 05:06 AM

Switzerland
In one of the multiple threads I read that the captains have to pay during February for the whole team. Could one of the organizers make a payment info thread with the date and the datas needed? Smile

LucyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 10, 2011 - 05:57 AM

Undisclosed

We were planning to do that one week in advance.
So, around next monday.

Lucy

KithorOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 10, 2011 - 06:08 AM

Switzerland
Thanks Lucy Smile

ChouOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 23, 2011 - 02:41 AM

One question on the payment: do you want us to send you a PM once we order the transfer?

LucyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 23, 2011 - 02:48 AM

Undisclosed

Not needed.

We'll check the websites every few days.....
Teams whose payment arrived will be coloured in the "Registered Teams" thread.
If you see your team remain black while others are getting coloured in, then you should worry.

Lucy

PakoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 23, 2011 - 03:21 AM

Spain
Thank you for all guys. See you in 2015.

P.S. Can I pay now my registration for wherever 2015? I still want to play NAF WC, don't know why... Rolling Eyes

KorglukOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 23, 2011 - 08:39 AM

El Prat de Llobregat
14 years playing bb, 11 years making leagues, 6 years making big tournaments and traveling around Europe... finally making NAF bigger...

Now I and my team will not play NAFWC, but a lot of looners will play!

It's better that I stop here my post!

LucyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 25, 2011 - 02:40 AM

Undisclosed

Payment details for Paypal have been updated (see main "Sticky" thread).
Sorry for the delay.

Lucy

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic