NAF Logo
leftstar May 13, 2024 - 11:50 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
No sir, this isn't my Death-Roller. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
FranticOffline
Post subject: How do I win against Nurgle?  PostPosted: Feb 09, 2009 - 07:12 AM

Sweden
Playing in a League with Skaven and we have just started the second season.

In the first game I run in to a Nurgle team with a TV of 210. The coach of that team has chosen the following skills:

Warriors: 2 of them Block Guard and the other 2 Block, Tentacle
Pestigors: Block, Disturbing Presence, One has frenzy and some other skills, One of them has Block, MB, Piling On and Tackle (that guy took 5 of my rats).
Rotters: Dirty Player and/or Disturbing Presence
Beast Of N: Block, Guard

I Lost with 3-2 and thats because I had some lucky Dice rolls for my one turn td GR.

But as you can se of his skills selection Its impossible to throw the ball or handle the ball in any way.

At first I thought It wasnt that big of a problem because I have Nerves Of Steel on one of the GR, but when i read the rules i notice that Nerves Of Steel dosent live up to its name. Hard Nerves or something is a better name for it because Disturbing Presence works anyway against it.

So pleace help me, how should I play against him?

I cant throw the ball, cant catch it, cant cage against them. If I Cage he blitz into it and place some tentacle guys there and some guard guys.

Feels like I´m screwed whatever i try to do.

So, any ide´s?

Last edited by Frantic on Feb 09, 2009 - 08:50 AM; edited 2 times in total

Reply with quote Back to top
SpazzfistOffline
Post subject: RE: How do I win against Nurgle?  PostPosted: Feb 09, 2009 - 07:22 AM

Canada
Wow dude, you really are screwed! That guy has one awesome Nurgle team! Mahybe it would help if you tell us what kind of team you have. Lay out your players and their skills.

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

FranticOffline
Post subject: RE: How do I win against Nurgle?  PostPosted: Feb 09, 2009 - 08:43 AM

Sweden
That was what i thought to...

I have one great skaven team IMO.

[Edit:] Well it has ben better. One GR with blodge, ag, leap, stripball and juggernaut died for 2 games ago. And my Blitzer had guard and kick but died this last game. [/Edit]

Line rats: One have wrestle and one has block. I have one with 4ST, Block and Frenzy The rest of them dies all the time so they dont have any skills.

Blitzers, one of them has 4AG, Claw and mighty blow (got AG as his first skill and rolled a double after that and couldnt resist picking claw). The other one just died, so block only.

GR: All of them has blodge. Then one of them has Movement, sprint, catch pass block. Another one has movement. The third one has armour 6, fend, nerves of steel, dump of and sidestep. And the last one is the star of the team. ST4 AG5 and leap (OH YEAH! Smile But only movement 8, he is a target for everyone, no shit Razz).

Thrower ACC and Kick Of Return.

Rat Ogre: Guard and armour (I know what youre thinking, why pick armour when you can pick juggernaut?, well i was sick of getting them killed all the time. Two of them died the first season, this is the third one.

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject: RE: How do I win against Nurgle?  PostPosted: Feb 09, 2009 - 10:35 AM

Canada
This is going to be tough for you any way you look at it.

I think you are absolutely right in that you are not going to have a passing game, which is generally how the skaven score quickly.

I would start by trying to use the stormvermin with claw something like a werewolf - hit and run attacks. Keep him protected and then run out to attack, hit, and then run back behing the protection of your line.

With the warriors only AG2 the best bet for you is to sacrafice some of your linerats to tie them down. The last thing you want is those warriors getting their Tentacles on the gutter runners.

I think the key to your victory would lie in your ability to score faster than him. You are probably going to take a beating, but it is the TDs that win the game, not the CAS.

How much would you get in inducements?

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

FranticOffline
Post subject: RE: How do I win against Nurgle?  PostPosted: Feb 09, 2009 - 11:06 AM

Sweden
Thx. will try that in next time, but to night it is my Dwarfs against his Slan.

Not that much, I can check later. But I have a full teamrooster and he has like 13 players.

I vote for a change in the rules. Nerves Of Steel will cancel Disturbing Present. Wink

CramyOffline
Post subject: RE: How do I win against Nurgle?  PostPosted: Feb 09, 2009 - 11:37 AM

Canada
Pick-up the ball with a GR and run like the wind. Don't pass or hand-off or anything. I would get the AG5 leap guy to pick-up the ball and hang back on one side of the pitch. Then hope that he commits to that side. Try to draw him towards you. Then once he is close enough, then run like hell around him. Get your other GRs and your other free players to be interference. If he manages to block you off with a couple of guys, then leap over. You are so much faster than him that you may be able to do this. If you don't want to use the AG5 guy, use the +MV guy with sprint, and run around.

Keep some rats on the tentacles guys. You don't want them anywhere near your GRs, especially the one with the ball.

Another idea that may help ... he only has 13 players, so try to bring him down to less than 11. If he starts to be outnumbered, then you will fare much better. This is very tough and relies on lucky dice, but it may be worth it. Get the Claw guy to hit the Rotters as often as possible. If you get some inducements, get a Wizard. A well placed fireball early in the game can not only open-up his cage for your Rat Ogre or other player to blitz, but you could injure a few guys in the process. So don't get into a brawl or anything, but a few targetted attacks early in the game can help a lot. If it doesn't work, well you'll have to rely on running real fast.

At any rate, games against this Nurgle team will inevitably be very tough for any Skaven team. Good luck.

Cramy

smeborgOffline
Post subject: RE: How do I win against Nurgle?  PostPosted: Feb 09, 2009 - 12:38 PM

Did you get any inducements for this match?

This Nurgle team is a bit OD on Disturbing presence, and has several weaknesses: (a) It lacks mobility (no Break Tackle or Two Heads). (b) It lacks ability to cause damage (just the one Pestigor with damage skills). (c) Some of the players are low on defensive blocking skills such as Block and Fend (especially the Rotters). (d) With just one Tackle and no Wrestle, their ability to down players and sack the ball carrier is limited.

So, as general suggestions, I would say: (i) Don't be afraid to mark the Nurgle players, especially those with Tentacles. (ii) Play the numbers game, attack the Rotters and Pestigors, and push players off the pitch. (iii) Take inducements likely to cause damage. (iv) Run the ball, he has no skills that will allow him to attack a protected ball carrier. (v) Fouling may be quite effective.

Hope this helps.

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject: RE: How do I win against Nurgle?  PostPosted: Feb 09, 2009 - 01:29 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
Also maybe try to play his game. He's relatively slow so scoring quickly probably gives him more time on offense. If you score slowly (say 4-5 turns) he's going to struggle to move the ball safely quickly enough - meaning a much better chance of you turning him over.

I'd use your Claw Blitzer to try and take out the MB/PO/tackle. Alternatively use the RO to mark him.

FranticOffline
Post subject: RE: How do I win against Nurgle?  PostPosted: Feb 09, 2009 - 04:23 PM

Sweden
About the sacrifice to the tentacle guys, well I´ll tried that. When the match ended I got 2 players left on the field, I do think thats the right play though. And I will try to slow play him and see if that works.

I was little unlucky that the two first cas in the game was my Rat Ogre and the Claw Blitzer. What killed the game was that he got Perfect defence and thada guard/tentacle was all over the place.

I´ll talked to him this eavning when my dwarfs crumbled his Slan what skill he had that I didnt remember. Well the ones I forgott to mention are that one Pestigor has AG4 and a Beastmen has AG4 and the Beastmen with tackle and frenzy also has ST4.

What I think is the most irritated with his Nurgle is that catching the ball and/or throwing it is like a double six to manage it. And if he dosent hit my players out he foul them of the field.

About the fouling part. I dont know, my rats hardly ever got time to foul, they are to busy dieing....

smeborgOffline
Post subject: RE: How do I win against Nurgle?  PostPosted: Feb 09, 2009 - 04:45 PM

Another thought or two come to mind (I assume you will play against this team again):

- Tentacles is best when combined with Stand Firm. When it isn't (i.e. in this side) it's relatively easy to push the Tentacled player away with one die blocks (or even two dice blocks, he chooses).

- I would expect this Nurgle team to get splatted, creamed and decimated by a decently developed "slayer" side (Dwarf, Chaos Dwarf, Orc, Chaos, Norse etc.). Do you have any such teams in your league? Especially with lots of Claw?

Hope this helps. Good luck next time.

FranticOffline
Post subject: RE: How do I win against Nurgle?  PostPosted: Feb 09, 2009 - 11:23 PM

Sweden
We have some houserules in the league. One of them is that you can play with several teams as long as you only meet eachother nomore than two times (if possible). We are 6 players and everybody has two or three teams.

We have One orc, one Dwarf, two skaven, two High elfs, two dark elfs, one wood elfs, one undead, one necro one human, one norse, one lizadmen, one goblin, one chaos and one chaos pact.

I know he lost some games but IMO he has one hell of a team that rules the league. You have to remember that every time you cas "something" in his team theres a fifty/fifty chanse that it will regenate and come direct back.

FranticOffline
Post subject: RE: How do I win against Nurgle?  PostPosted: Feb 25, 2009 - 04:32 PM

Sweden
My Swedish Steelers (Humans) won tonight with 2-1 ( 1-2 cas). The highlight of the game was that his Pestigors with P-on, MB, block, tackle and Claw (he got that skill after the last game) Was kicked of the blood bowl planet (hehehe) Twisted Evil

Well for the one who wants to know my tactic of the game was to back up and see what side of the field that gived me the best chanse to go for it.

That and som luck. Both my TD was a 4+ throw. And when he was making his more inportent blocks they rolled my way.

PugOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 30, 2009 - 10:05 AM

Undisclosed
"How do I win against Nurgle?"

Get shaneipoo to use them!!
Razz

Wooden Spoon - Alba Bowl 2010(?)
Total Spanner - Dobby Bowl 2013
Stunty Cup - Brewerz Bowl 2011,2012

FranticOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 30, 2009 - 02:52 PM

Sweden
Que?

PubBowlerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 31, 2009 - 03:38 AM

Glasgow UK
Shaniepoo is a UK tournie coach who has a poor record with them.

A quick glance at the NAF rankings indicate he is the lowest ranked Nurgle coach with a record of 8/7/27.

Pug has a sense of humour.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic