NAF Logo
leftstar May 11, 2024 - 12:52 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
The NAF is overpowered. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
SBGOffline
Post subject: Dauntless and Horns precision  PostPosted: Mar 26, 2009 - 12:59 AM

Canada
OK guys, I know it has been answered before, and as a matter of fact, we found an explanation on the forum.

Still, a player in my league brought what I thought was a fair argument, and I decided as commish to look at it further through.

Just bear in mind we are all French speaking and although my English skills are not bad at all, this might explain this question.

From what I understand, Gutter Runner with Horns and Dauntless, when blitzing a ST3 player, gets a 2-dice block if he rolls a 2+ on Dauntless, because of horns. Now, the rulebook says, for Dauntless:

Quote:
The strength of both players is calculated before any defensive or
offensive assists are added but after all other modifiers.

Since it says a bit above that sentence that:
      Quote:
The skill only works when the player attempts to block an opponent who is stronger than himself.

aren't they the same strength now? At least, this is what this player argued.

His logic is that when you are about to block as part of your blitz action, the GR is in fact of lower ST, but when you apply the modifier (s), in this case, he is no longer and shouldn't roll for Dauntless.

We still played it that the GR got a 2-dice block, but I'd like to get a bulletproof answer to that. Excuse my redondance.

Fred

Reply with quote Back to top
DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject: RE: Dauntless and Horns precision  PostPosted: Mar 26, 2009 - 04:55 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
This was a change in LRB5 so the mistake is understandable. He was right.

Horns is used first - bring the GR to S3, so Dauntless isn't used. So its a 1 dice block.

CramyOffline
Post subject: RE: Dauntless and Horns precision  PostPosted: Mar 26, 2009 - 10:24 AM

Canada
Yes, Ian is right. This was changed from LRB4 to LRB5, on purpose. Can't remember why though, but I believe that there was a specific reason for this change.

Cramy

smeborgOffline
Post subject: RE: Dauntless and Horns precision  PostPosted: Mar 26, 2009 - 01:23 PM

One of the reason for the change was because daft things could be done by a player with Dauntless + Horns, making it an overpowered combination.

For example, a Gutter Runner (ST2) with Dauntless, Horns (a popular, nay, proverbial combination in 3rd Ed) could Blitz a Treeman (ST6) and knock him over with relative ease . Changing the order from Dauntless/Horns to Horns/Dauntless meant that the GR, if unassisted, could not get better than a 1 die block.

There were actually 2 changes between 3rd and 5th Eds.:

- Dice roll changed from 2D6 to 1D6.
- Horns added to player's ST before Dauntless operates (instead of after).

I like the "new" Dauntless as it seems more balanced. It changes with the Dauntless player's ST. For example, Star Player Prince Moron (ST4, Dauntless) is relatively good at knocking over ST5 players. A Gutter Runner with Dauntless (or even Dauntless, Horns) is not as good.

The 3rd Edition Dauntless was less related to a player's ST. You rolled 2D6 and added it to your ST. This was always likely to give a high number.

Hope this helps.

smeborgOffline
Post subject: RE: Dauntless and Horns precision  PostPosted: Mar 26, 2009 - 01:25 PM

One of the reason for the change was because daft things could be done by a player with Dauntless + Horns, making it an overpowered combination.

For example, a Gutter Runner (ST2) with Dauntless, Horns (a popular, nay, proverbial combination in 3rd Ed) could Blitz a Treeman (ST6) and knock him over with relative ease . Changing the order from Dauntless/Horns to Horns/Dauntless meant that the GR, if unassisted, could not get better than a 1 die block.

There were actually 2 changes between 3rd and 5th Eds.:

- Dice roll changed from 2D6 to 1D6.
- Horns added to player's ST before Dauntless operates (instead of after).

I like the "new" Dauntless as it seems more balanced. It changes with the Dauntless player's ST. For example, Star Player Prince Moron (ST4, Dauntless) is relatively good at knocking over ST5 players. A Gutter Runner with Dauntless (or even Dauntless, Horns) is not as good.

The 3rd Edition Dauntless was less related to a player's ST. You rolled 2D6 and added it to your ST. This was always likely to give a high number.

Hope this helps.

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject: RE: Dauntless and Horns precision  PostPosted: Mar 27, 2009 - 04:06 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
The change was for a couple of reasons. The old dauntless was very good skill - and the lower strength you were the better it was. Really Dauntless is meant to be skill to enable linemen to take on big guys. In LRB4 & earlier it was a skill to convert S2 catchers into blitzers. Also we were getting rid of traits so there was a need to tone it down a little too.

So the old 2D6 to beat strength became a D6 + Strength to beat opponent strength. So higher base strength made it more effective - and it was less effective with S2 players.

Making horns apply before dauntless was just common sense fix to a broken combo. Dauntless/Horns gutter runners were much much better than one turners IMO. Get anywhere, hit anything.

CramyOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Dauntless and Horns precision  PostPosted: Mar 27, 2009 - 10:10 AM

Canada
      Doubleskulls wrote:
Making horns apply before dauntless was just common sense fix to a broken combo. Dauntless/Horns gutter runners were much much better than one turners IMO. Get anywhere, hit anything.

That really was a killer combo. Happy that this got fixed, even if I'm a Skaven coach and used this combo as soon as the skills rolls allowed for it. Agreed that this was a much better GR than a one turner.

Cramy

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic