NAF Logo
leftstar May 15, 2024 - 09:53 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Eyebrows day-glo rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
HullekoenigOffline
Post subject: Nurgle Starting Team for a League  PostPosted: May 11, 2009 - 02:37 PM

In a few days we are starting a new league.
After being quiet unsuccessful with pro elves I am going to try
something different this time:

Nurgle.
My current idea of a starting team (100TR) is as follows:

2 Nurgle Warriors
4 Pestigors
1 Nurgle Beast
4 Rotters
2 Rerolls
2 FF

What do you think about this setup?
Any other suggestions (and why)?
And, last but not least:
What skills to go for first (especially on doubles)?

I was thinking about a bashy setup.
Probably the first skills on the Nurgle Warriors will be Block and Guard.
Maybe a Mighty Blow/Claw Pestigor or two.
The Beast I am going for Stand Firm.

But what to go for on doubles?

Btw: The other teams on the leage will probably be:
Amazon, Human, Ogre, Norse, Skaven and maybe Lizardmen

Reply with quote Back to top
RottweilerrmeOffline
Post subject: RE: Nurgle Starting Team for a League  PostPosted: May 11, 2009 - 08:38 PM

Tackle would be a good skill as Amazons, Skaven and Lizardmen start with dodge. Block to stop the Norse and pry the ogres get a lot of bonehead rolls cause they hurt a lot when they start going. Cant really help you with your set up as im not a Nurgle player. But hope this helps. Smile

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject: RE: Nurgle Starting Team for a League  PostPosted: May 12, 2009 - 07:05 AM

Canada
I am not a big fan of the Big Guys, although the Beast is the best in all of BB!

I would reccommend getting the four warriors off the bat for a few reasons:

1) They develop more slowly
2) They provide much needed strength
3) The Foul Appearance and Distrubing Presence are a key part of the Nurgle game!

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

FranticOffline
Post subject: RE: Nurgle Starting Team for a League  PostPosted: May 12, 2009 - 01:48 PM

Sweden
Hey Spazz, when are the Nurgle playbook done?

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject: RE: Nurgle Starting Team for a League  PostPosted: May 12, 2009 - 09:07 PM

Canada
It was so close..... Embarassed

I will get back on it! Thanks for the kick in the a$$!

FranticOffline
Post subject: RE: Nurgle Starting Team for a League  PostPosted: May 12, 2009 - 11:03 PM

Sweden
It´s allright. That playbook is something I want to read. Smile

Go get going on it tiger! Grrr Razz

smeborgOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 13, 2009 - 01:07 AM

I agree with Spazzfist that you need to start with all 4 Warriors and the Beast. I have tried other starting lineups - they were disastrous. Nurgle are actually quite a fragile team, at the start at least - most players are AV8, low AG, and you have no Block or Dodge, plus Decay. The only way to avoid taking lots of CAS is to max out on ST, AV9 and Foul Appearance. Having 5 Disturbing Presence from the start is also key to being able to defend at all.

The following starting set-up has worked very well for me in both a long league and a major progression tournament:

The Beast
4 Warriors
1 Pestigor
5 Rotters
2 Re-rolls

Starting with only one Pestigor may seem counter-intuitive at first (they are the ball carriers and blitzers, after all), but trust me - it works. The first 3 purchases should be Pestigors (although once you have a total of 3 Pestigors, you can replace any lost Warriors or a lost Beast). The aim is to get the 9 positional players on the roster as fast as possible, so as to max out not only on ST, but on Regen. Don't worry about replacing Rotters until you do this - if you keep replacing Rotters at the start, you will just get into a "death spiral" (been there, done that).

Once you have 3 Pestigors, the Beast and 4 Warriors on the park, you should find that your play starts to achieves a nice balance (well, it's all relative for Nurgle). Purchase of the 3rd Re-roll will have to wait.

Hope this helps.

HullekoenigOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 13, 2009 - 01:36 AM

Quote:
The Beast
4 Warriors
1 Pestigor
5 Rotters
2 Re-rolls

I have to admit that this is a setup that never came to my mind...

Quote:
Starting with only one Pestigor may seem counter-intuitive at first (they are the ball carriers and blitzers, after all)

true...

Quote:
but trust me - it works

I will.

Thank you all for the input so far. I am a novice when it comes to playing
a bashy team (and I love the ability of Nurgle to drive your opponent mad).

There has been some changes on the other teams in the last days.
There will be: Skaven, Amazon, Wood Elf, Dark Elf, Human, Vampire and Orcs.

So definitely quiet some passing going on (I know for a fact that the human player loves passing).
But also a lot of players with dodge right off the pitch. So it looks like there are a few options for skills:
-Tackle (I HATE Amazons... like really much)
-Block (to give them a little more stamina, there was a lot of being prone in the test games)
-maxing out on Disturbing Presence (to force the passing teams in walking down the pitch)
-on a side note: building a ball carrier (big hand, two arms)

Which of these would be the the first you would hand out to witch player? Or do you see even other priorities?

smeborgOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 13, 2009 - 06:13 PM

For skill progression (there are many options, this is just what I am trying at the moment), I would suggest you look at the following:

For the Rotters, simply Block, Fend, Foul Appearance (survival skills - they die very easily).

For the Pestigors, develop the first as a Runner (Sure Hands, Extra Arms, Kick-off Return etc.). Develop 2 Pestigors as Blitzers (Wrestle, Fend, Tackle, 2 Heads, Pro). Develop the 4th Pestigor as a Receiver and reserve (defensive) Runner (Extra Arms, Sure Hands, Block, Fend, Foul Appearance).

The Warriors are the most difficult to develop, because they skill up slowly, and their first skill is very committal. Many coaches prefer Block as the first skill (they may well be right), but I am trying a different route: 2 Slayers (Mighty Blow, Claw, Block) and 2 Guarders (Guard). Another tempting route is to develop annoying defensive Blockers (Block, Stand Firm, Tentacles), but their development is likely to be very slow.

For the Beast: Break Tackle, Stand Firm, Guard, Grab (Pro, Block on doubles). Mainly to maximise the use and threat of his Tentacles.

I have not complicated this with stat increase choices, but as a general rule: Pestigors love stat increases (MA, ST, AG), Warriors do not (skills seem better). Rotters are in between (+AV certainly) as is the Beast (+ST certainly, perhaps +MA also).

For doubles rolls, I suggest Sure Feet, Sprint for the 2 Runners, and Sidestep, Jump Up for the 2 Blizers.

Nurgle are a tough side to develop. They skill up at half the rate of other teams, and SPPs tend to get spread quite unevenly. Overall you need, I suggest, to think in terms of a development plan that combines the following elements:

- Ball moving
- Blitzing (sacking the opponent's ball carrier).
- Slaying (especially important for offense, as Nurgle have great difficulty scoring unless they can get opposing players off the pitch).
- Maximising the starting mutations of Nurgle (Tentacles, Disturbing Presence and Foul Appearance). The Nurgle defense is built around these.
- Defensive skills like Block, Wrestle and Fend (Nurgle take a lot of punishment because they start with no Block, lots of AV8, and cannot easily dodge out of the way of slayer teams).

Hope this helps.

HullekoenigOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 14, 2009 - 01:31 AM

Thank you all for the advice. It has been very informative so far.
Seems like my first opponent is going to be vampires.

Orcs are next.
Let's just hope he does not roll as good for armour as my usual orc does (I am talking to YOU, Steamroller Wink )

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 14, 2009 - 06:02 PM

Canada
Okay - the written part is done - can anyone give me any ideas on how I can do those cool visuals for showing how to set up the team? That is the only thing I wanted to do now.

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 14, 2009 - 09:58 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
Play creator? http://www.play-creator.com

AxtklingeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 15, 2009 - 07:13 AM

Portugal
      Hullekoenig wrote:

Seems like my first opponent is going to be vampires.

Beware for Hypnotic Gaze!
I've been caught off guard several times because I forgot of HG (and all of the sudden he doesnt need to blitz or block to pass through my players...
And then its too late!
Cheers
A.

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 15, 2009 - 07:30 AM

Canada
      Doubleskulls wrote:

That's really cool! I have never seen that one before. I was thinking more along the lines of what I had seen on the BB France website - but as it is all in French, my ability to understand much of it is limited!

Is there any way to make a copy of the image to paste elsewhere? Or would I just have to make a link to the webpage?

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 15, 2009 - 09:51 AM

Canada
I found out that there is a way to do an image link to forums. Is NAF set up for that? I cannot seem to get it to work.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic