NAF Logo
leftstar May 15, 2024 - 02:52 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
You will re-roll a one. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Mr_SmigsOffline
Post subject: Hmm... how important is that last yard.... custom pitch  PostPosted: Jun 23, 2009 - 08:11 PM

Phoenix, AZ
right.. didn't realize I'd made it too short until after getting almost a dozen games on it..

so far, I don't think the missing yard on each end has affected the game, but then, I get the feeling later in the league when there are MV 10 (give or take) models, that it might start to make a difference...

on the lighter side, using a special D6 as the score counter (0-5 on the sides) and turn marker has worked out nicely as an 'all in 1' board, and it's survived a week in AZ heat in my car with only a little glue giving way (when the whole thing goes, I'm going to re-do the pitch...

really it was a prototype mockup... the origional plan was to do the whole thing in grass and paint out all the areas...

but at this level... 20 bucks for the "sketch board", 3 bucks for the grass, and 5 bucks for the markers to draw the lines (a silver, black, and red paint marker)... IMO, acceptable for a 30 buck investment and some free time...

Reply with quote Back to top
GrumbledookOffline
Post subject: RE: Hmm... how important is that last yard.... custom pitch  PostPosted: Jun 24, 2009 - 11:18 AM

well it will matter for those turns you need to run the receiver into the endzone before you pass rather than pass then run into the endzone

ie when they are heavily marked so catching it will be unlikely

guess you will just have to use the turn marker squares at the end of the pitch ;]

Jon

DarkDancer17Offline
Post subject: RE: Hmm... how important is that last yard.... custom pitch  PostPosted: Jun 24, 2009 - 01:20 PM

Phoenix, Arizona, United States
Nice - where in AZ? Smile

Wonder if I will see that pitch in my league...

AxtklingeOffline
Post subject: Re: Hmm... how important is that last yard.... custom pitch  PostPosted: Jun 25, 2009 - 06:06 AM

Portugal
      Mr_Smigs wrote:
right.. didn't realize I'd made it too short until after getting almost a dozen games on it...

Sad
Its so annoying when we go for sucha a project and in the end we miss a 'detail' like that. (Who cares about 1 or 2 yards anyway?!? Wink )

I have a friend who had to plot 3 BB fields before he got the size right...

Just out as suggestions, you can either add those two missing, or cut a few more and play it like BB7, and do a new one for 'regular' BB.

Cheers
A.

CoffinDodgerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 26, 2009 - 02:43 AM

Scotland
AS you've surmised, faster teams will benefit most - expect an increase in one turn TD attempts that work. Teams with TTM will also get a bit of a boost over others (pun intended) with the increased likelyhood of scattering and staying in range of the endzone.

BFN

Paul

Mr_SmigsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 26, 2009 - 01:28 PM

Phoenix, AZ
yeah, basically, when the pitch glue wears off, or I get bored of it Il be cutting a new pitch which will cover the "turn" marker, so I'll have to relocate it.

as for where in AZ, I'm part of the Imperial Outpost Games League (northern PHX area) as it's easy to hit on my way home from work...

DarkDancer17Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 26, 2009 - 04:05 PM

Mr_Smigs wrote:
yeah, basically, when the pitch glue wears off, or I get bored of it Il be cutting a new pitch which will cover the "turn" marker, so I'll have to relocate it.

as for where in AZ, I'm part of the Imperial Outpost Games League (northern PHX area) as it's easy to hit on my way home from work...

Aha... I'm in the Tempe Area at Game Depot. Very Happy

Mr_SmigsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 28, 2009 - 07:15 PM

Phoenix, AZ
      DarkDancer17 wrote:
      Mr_Smigs wrote:

Aha... I'm in the Tempe Area at Game Depot. Very Happy

are of the Phoenix BBL, I assume.
yeah, alas, getting out there Tuesdays is hard for me, and I'm still relearning the game (last I played was 2nd ed.) and the local league up here has a couple alternate/house rules ("custom" teams in an attempt to keep some of the flavor of the older lists, every model stands at the beginning of the turn instead of at their activation, and we're alot more lax on turn lengh and declairing actions...)

my goal is to get enough practice up to roll out to Cali for the big tourney next year...

CramyOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Hmm... how important is that last yard.... custom pi  PostPosted: Jun 28, 2009 - 07:47 PM

Canada
      Grumbledook wrote:
guess you will just have to use the turn marker squares at the end of the pitch ;]

I think it matters quite a bit. GR with sprint can score in one turn.

I'd do what Grumbledook suggested.

Cramy

DarkDancer17Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 29, 2009 - 04:28 PM

Mr_Smigs wrote:

are of the Phoenix BBL, I assume.
yeah, alas, getting out there Tuesdays is hard for me, and I'm still relearning the game (last I played was 2nd ed.) and the local league up here has a couple alternate/house rules ("custom" teams in an attempt to keep some of the flavor of the older lists, every model stands at the beginning of the turn instead of at their activation, and we're alot more lax on turn lengh and declairing actions...)

my goal is to get enough practice up to roll out to Cali for the big tourney next year...

We try to give our new folks a bit of a break on time limits, etc. Smile

We also play on Thursdays as well, if you are interested - we actually tend to have a bit more of a turn out, as the store stays open until 9 on Thursdays.

Either way - good to know another player out here.

Which tournament in Cali?

Mr_SmigsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 29, 2009 - 05:47 PM

Phoenix, AZ
      DarkDancer17 wrote:

Either way - good to know another player out here.

Which tournament in Cali?

thusday's "other boardgames" for me...

don't recall the tourney name off the top of my head... it was posted either here or zlurpy... IIRC, it was like back on 5-23 or so...

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic