NAF Logo
leftstar May 02, 2024 - 01:00 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
For sale: Stadium... slightly used. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ConspyreOffline
Post subject: Basing?  PostPosted: Jul 09, 2009 - 11:21 AM

United States of America
I've done a lot of different basing for WHFB and other minis games, and my BB minis have gone from green paint, to Woodland Scenics flocking, to Static Grass, but I'm curious if there is a prevalent standard nowadays. I'm currently debating between my regular generic dirt/grass basing (Sand, Scorched Brown/Graveyard Earth/Bleached Bone, with patches of Static Grass), or a solid cover of Static Grass, for a more well-kept look. Anyone have any ideas?

Reply with quote Back to top
StoutYoungbloodOffline
Post subject: RE: Basing?  PostPosted: Jul 09, 2009 - 11:46 AM

Undisclosed
there is no 'standard' just what looks good to you.

AxtklingeOffline
Post subject: RE: Basing?  PostPosted: Jul 10, 2009 - 03:19 AM

Portugal
My bases have evoved more or less the same way as yours Conspyre (from green to grass), and I've been keeping the 'grass' look in my general rank'n file troops.
When I need to go a little further I just detail the base a little more (extra bits, rocks, stones, ice, water...) depending if the model 'deserves' it.

BosstoneOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 15, 2010 - 12:59 PM

Philadelphia
I want to base my figures with something that looks like they're standing in snow. Aside from painting the bases white, any ideas? I'm hoping for something with texture, like white rocks or something. I'd also like some diversity, so maybe some with snowed over grass, or even branches.

ConspyreOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 15, 2010 - 01:04 PM

United States of America
You can get snow flock from GW and Woodland Scenics. I don't recommend just gluing it on, that looks a bit too flat. If you mix a bit into a paste with PVA glue, put it in place, and then sprinkle a bit more on top, you can get pretty good looking drifts that are nicely shapeable. Add patches of that to your basing scheme, and you can easily mix it with dead grass, dirt patches, whatever you like.

DaggersOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 15, 2010 - 01:50 PM

Canada
My bases have evolved to include a general theme, depending on the race. My wood elves and halflings have flock with long grass on top. My dwarves are done with a fine crushed stone basing material I bought at a local train hobby store. My Norse have rock and stone bases. I use stuff from the warhammer hero basing kit as well. My chaos even have black ash on there bases. I love the grass look, but try to create a base that look like the field they would actually play on. I mean, do you really see Chaos playing on a nice green, grassy pitch.

TkkultistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 10, 2010 - 07:40 PM

Belleville, Ontario
for convincing snow basing - do your usual gravel/sand paint in off whites and browns or greys and add a couple. Mix gw snow flock with water effects resin and add a coat to your basing. When FULLY dry add patches of snow flock using white glue (or better yet satin medium). You should ens up with a variety of surface and contrasts and a very natural look if you do it well. Im doing some of this with a friend next week - Ill try to post some pics for you

ConspyreOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 10, 2010 - 08:03 PM

United States of America
Nice call on the water effects, the gloss is a good idea.

ApocryphaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 11, 2010 - 10:20 AM

Port Hope Ontario
I would love to see some pics of that, Tkkultist. Or possibly the end result at the next Lost event. I've been meaning to snow the bases of my Norse team since forever.

AxtklingeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 13, 2010 - 05:17 AM

Portugal
I've tryed a couple different methods for snow basing (mostly with painting effects), and the one that convinced me the most and which I used for my norse team was with "baking soda" (for those who dont hang around the kitchen is a white powder used to make cakes grow).
Put a small ammount of that (baking soda) together with wood glue, mix them well, and apply to the base (it might get kinda sticky so you probably should use somekind of a spatule).
For the ammount of each, I would advise you to try out (perhaps half of each) but you realy should try it on a empty base so you can get the feeling on how it works.

Note that because of the glue, that paste (soda+glue) might dilute some of the colour of the base you stuck it in, specialy if the ink on ht ebase isnt very well dry.
As always, try that out to get the feeling.

TkkultistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 13, 2010 - 08:44 PM

Belleville, Ontario
I have used baking soda as well on scenery pieces. works ok and is cheap.

There are lots of different "snow" products available - GW's is far from the best but is OK and easy to get.

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 13, 2010 - 11:33 PM

United States of America
cheap laundry soap

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 14, 2010 - 06:42 AM

Canada
For snow effects I use the stuff you would get from a railroad supply store. It is dead easy to use and looks great.

To use it I mix up a bit of glue and flock to make a flocky paste which gets spread on the base. Then, while the paste is still wet, I dip it in more flock, shake off the excess and let it dry.

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic