NAF Logo
leftstar May 12, 2024 - 12:08 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Nuffle hates you. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 10, 2009 - 07:32 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
      DarkDancer17 wrote:
Same with any big guy. Block

Actually I think on most big guys its pretty much an even choice - there are advantages both. For me one of the big things is that you are more likely to get another double than another 12, so +ST Block players are more likely if you take the strength.

Also rocking up with a S6 Troll or Ogre can cause some teams lots of headaches that a S5 Block one doesn't.

Pretty close to 50/50 IMO.

Reply with quote Back to top
FranticOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 11, 2009 - 12:48 AM

Sweden
Well I agree with double skull here. He will probebly get some other skill(s) before the cemetery takes the best of him. And you have the chance of rolling a double later on.

And he allready have the Juggernaut skill, that and without loner youre not that afraid to blitz with him.

DarkDancer17Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 11, 2009 - 03:43 PM

Phoenix, Arizona, United States
I have to admit - I used to be a big fan of +1 STR.

But then I went the opposite with the Minotaur on my Chaos team - and let me tell you, it allowed him to roll up more SPPs, and get better.

The next 12? I may have taken block. I would have likely taken Tackle, though.

pathwinder14Offline
Post subject: Re: RE: What to take (+1 Strength on Deathroller)  PostPosted: Aug 11, 2009 - 08:32 PM

Xeterog wrote:
      pathwinder14 wrote:
Str 8!!! You have 3 dice against anyone. Most opponents will need something like 4 assists to even think about getting 2 dice against you. Take Block as your second skill. The wait for skill two is not very long. Do not wait till Skill 3 though.

Str 8, you would be 3db vs...str 3 and less players..just like str 7

You'd need a str 9 to have more than double the str of str 4 players..and you aren't getting 3db without assists against str 5+ players at all.

Block is the choice..str 7 just doesn't make sense to take at all. It's easy to get 2 assists if you want a 3db vs str 4 (especially with dwarves)

I must admint that you are right. I was exaggeratting when I said 3 dice against anyone. I forgot the deathroller did not have access to G. Block does make more sense.

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 11, 2009 - 08:54 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
      DarkDancer17 wrote:
I have to admit - I used to be a big fan of +1 STR.

But then I went the opposite with the Minotaur on my Chaos team - and let me tell you, it allowed him to roll up more SPPs, and get better.

The next 12? I may have taken block. I would have likely taken Tackle, though.

One thing there is that Mino's on Chaos teams aren't necessarily representative of all big guys. IMO, you shouldn't take a rule that applies to one big guy and assume it is correct for all of them.

+ST real advantage over Block is to draw in extra assists or be able to tie down more players with them. So players you use to hit benefit more from Block, players who get hit more benefit from +ST (this isn't a huge difference - in my mind I'd thinking the difference between maybe 55/45 and 60/40). Minotaurs, being Av8, generally don't want to get hit much!

So an Ogre on a human team has an important job of tying down opposition blockers to create more space for the rest of the team to do its job. Its arguable that +ST helps them do that more than Block.

Also part of it is how you play and develop them too. I can't envisage having too much difficulty getting SPPs on a S6 mino with nothing else. 3 dice blocks should be easy and Claw on top will really get those cas coming in heading up to that 3rd skill. However if you are more risk adverse than me you might not block/blitz with them as much as you would a Block S5 one. So it might be that different play styles actually gets more benefit from the +ST than the Block.

Tackle for me wouldn't be as good as either Pro (which allows you to reroll pushes as well as the WA roll so comes out pretty close in percentage terms against blodgers) or Sidestep (which is nasty skill on strong frenzy players). If you want to effectively mark then tentacles and prehensile tail both give that capability without needing doubles.

Bjorn9486Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 13, 2009 - 05:31 AM

Binghamton, New York
I would take block in that situation.

jigplumsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 13, 2009 - 05:54 AM

block

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic