NAF Logo
leftstar Apr 27, 2024 - 07:53 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
No sir, this isn't my Death-Roller. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
jigplumsOffline
Post subject: stats MV vs AV  PostPosted: Aug 21, 2009 - 02:47 AM

what do you think is the more useful increase MV or AV.

i think mv is easier to see the benefits, and see when it would change the course of a game, but having numerical advantage is a big factor too and av can help that

Reply with quote Back to top
CramyOffline
Post subject: RE: stats MV vs AV  PostPosted: Aug 21, 2009 - 06:59 PM

Canada
Definitely MV. I find that AV is only useful if you have a very good player with lots of amazing skills. Then you really don't want that player to die. Problem with AV is that you don't control when you use it. And it may never get to be used.

Cramy

ApocryphaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 22, 2009 - 11:58 AM

Port Hope Ontario
And even with adding to a players AV it doesn't matter against skills like Claws.

SolarFlareOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 22, 2009 - 12:29 PM

it depends on the position of the player...

jigplumsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 22, 2009 - 01:34 PM

solarflare, what positions do you think you would take av over mv then?
i took +mv on a mummy the other day. i think it could be really useful as a he has piling on and b it makes it so hes harder to get away from.

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 22, 2009 - 02:01 PM

United States of America
Orc Thrower
Skaven Stormvermin
Minatour
to name a few

FranticOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 22, 2009 - 04:01 PM

Sweden
Any dwarf would become the Usain Bolt for their race. Razz

And the Skaven Gutter runner will become a One turn scorer after a while
The same with the wood elf catcher but that will end when the LRB 6.0 is official.

nyarlathotepOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 23, 2009 - 09:21 AM
Mekboy

daloonieshaman wrote:
Orc Thrower
Skaven Stormvermin
Minatour
to name a few

I disagree on the Minotaur - at least on CD teams. MV 6 with Frenzy, STR 5 and Horns is a disturbing player, indeed.

My Tournament Record

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 23, 2009 - 11:28 AM

United States of America
The AV increase

FranticOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 23, 2009 - 11:39 AM

Sweden
      nyarlathotep wrote:
      daloonieshaman wrote:
Orc Thrower
Skaven Stormvermin
Minatour
to name a few

I disagree on the Minotaur - at least on CD teams. MV 6 with Frenzy, STR 5 and Horns is a disturbing player, indeed.

Well I like the 6MV frenzy player. At least with my startup. I have my Rat Ogre behind the front line and with a movement 6 he will (if a Blitz is the result of the kick of table) be able to send one player into the audience.

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 24, 2009 - 12:06 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
I can't think of many players where I'd take +Av first skill. Zombies, human linemen do well with Av9 - but are better served by block (or wrestle) for a 1st skill. 2nd skill they've gone beyond "line fodder" so it isn't so useful.

In a league with lots of Claw +Av becomes almost pointless.

smeborgOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 26, 2009 - 03:05 PM

I am inclined to ignore +AV in practically all cases.

However, I did have some success with +1AV on a Rotter (it lead to him surviving a bit longer than other Rotters, but he died in the end, of course). Conversely, I once gave +1AV to a Chaos Dwarf (who also had -1AG). He occupied the centre of the line of scrimmage, but died soon enough, naturally.

In LRB 6 (draft), which I play, there are 8 teams out of 24 who have access to Claw. This Claw will surely be used against any hapless chap who takes the +1AV. So I am inclined to ignore +1AV nowadays.

+1MA is most useful on players who are already fast, or on a team of players with average movement, where the whole team will benefit from any MA increase.

Giving +1MA to slow players is a marginal decision. I once gave +1MA to 2 Chaos Dwarfs. Although it was occasionally useful, on balance I regretted the decision, and felt I would have been better off with normal skills.

I find it pays to have a clear development plan for each and every player type before you start a team. In this way you make the decision before rolling the dice. And you can see (over time) whether your development plan is sound or not, instead of facing the consequences of several ad hoc skill decisions. I find that more satisfying (if not necessarily better!).

GreedySmurfOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 26, 2009 - 07:47 PM

England
I've got a Norse lineman who I gave the +AV to. And he now gets to be the centre in the LoS, and I can honestly say his AV8 has saved him from being hurt on numerous occasions. I seem to remember those occasions a bit becasue I have to come out with, "well actually that's my AV8 guy" with a slight smirk on my face Laughing

Of course that being said, on my Norse team the dedictaed LoS liney's would be about the only ones I would take +AV over +MV on. (I'd think about the Ulf's maybe if it ever came up)

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 26, 2009 - 09:28 PM

United States of America
The Flaw in your "Claws" argument is this
Only 8 teams out of 24 have access to Claws. In an average league you might face one or two of those teams. So most of the time you will play a "regular" team. "Ohh! I am so afraid, AV is so useless against claws" Rubbish circular argument. Average die roll is 7 on 2 dice. If he is gonna sqeak by with an 8 v/s a 9/10 you have no clue as to the odds of dice rolling. Claws is SO overrated and feared. 1 he has got to successfully hit you, 2 he has to successfully claw you 3 he has to successfully do more than stun you.

On the other hand ....
Valuable low armor fellows, Witch elf, Minatour, Rat Orge, ect benefit far more on an AV increase than a MV increase, and depending on the skill set allowed for that player it will give them a longer life span than some standard skill

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 27, 2009 - 12:33 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
The reason +Av is so poor isn't as much to do with Claw as to do with the relative impact of normal skills for staying alive.

Take a Zombie. Block, although it doesn't save you quite as many armour breaks as Block would - Block keeps you on your feet and helps when blocking so reduces turnovers. Factor in that +av costs 10k more in player value and you've not got a very compelling argument to take it.

I did once run a HE team when I basically gave everyone who got a 6,4 +Av. It was quite interesting but I never got enough games played to really feel like I'd benefited more than if I'd taken a normal skill.

So really I don't think +av is normally I good choice. There might be some real edge cases where its good (probably 3rd/4th skill on linemen/blocker types) but most player types benefit more from other choices in most circumstances.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic