NAF Logo
leftstar May 14, 2024 - 04:41 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Wez got dis one in da bag! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
GriffOberwald69Offline
Post subject: First Companion (1990) - Official NAF Rules  PostPosted: May 21, 2003 - 02:23 AM

Jervis Johnson published, IMO a set of very interesting rules called "Official NAF Rules" (pag. 38 to 41) where BB become very similar to american football.
Anyone have playtested them with 4th Rules Edition ? Any comments ? Question

Cheers

Stè

Reply with quote Back to top
AgentrockOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 21, 2003 - 08:37 AM

Nope...never touched the 4th edition stuff...

jarkkoOffline
Post subject: Re: First Companion (1990) - Official NAF Rules  PostPosted: May 21, 2003 - 11:48 AM

GriffOberwald69 wrote:
Any comments ? Question

For those that don't know, here are the main differences:

1) The offence has 4 "downs" to score. Once the ballcarrier falls down, a new line of scrimmage is set there, and a second down starts. If a pass is not caught or intercepted the next down starts on the same LOS as las down.

2) The ball can be passed forwards only once per down. It can be passed backwards or laterally normally (ie once per turn). Hand-ofs are as usual.

3) The ball-carrier can run out of bounds, new LOS set where he last was on field and a new bound.

4) If the offence can't get a TD in four downs the Defence becomes the offense. Likewise if the Defence get a ball in the middle of a down they become the Offence (ie can pass the ball only once forwards etc).

5) There are rules for Field Goals and Puntig.

6) The Defence may call a blitz once per drive.

7) The game lasts 4x8 turns. Ie 4 quartes divided into two 16 turn halfs. The offence can call for a "two minute drill" during the last 4 turns.

Cool There are some other minor rules.

I remember when I first time I saw the 3rd edition BB rules I thought they are just a hyrid of the NAF-rules and the 2nd edition BB rules (in addition to the fact that Griff Oberwald seemed to cost 180,000 which did look as quite an enormous sum, because in 2nd ed we had 50,000 for the whole eam <grin>).

GertwiseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 21, 2003 - 02:32 PM

Ahhhhh, the good old days of the 2nd edition. NOT!!! I remember the games taking 8 hours to play because you ahd to score 3 TD's. Who cared about the turns because they were unlimited. You had to pay your players afterwards and you had better get at least 10k because if you didn't your players left.

BUT you did start out with players with skills (if you wanted to toss in extra cash on team creation).

DaveOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 21, 2003 - 03:33 PM
da Veiz-Prez

Netherlands
saw them, didn't try them .... as yet

GattolardoOffline
Post subject: Re: First Companion (1990) - Official NAF Rules  PostPosted: May 22, 2003 - 05:17 AM

jarkko wrote:
      GriffOberwald69 wrote:
Any comments ? Question

...I...because in 2nd ed we had 50,000 for the whole team... .

Tell those spoiled 3rd and 4th edition brats!!! Wink

Smile

garthOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 05, 2004 - 08:53 PM

I too am very keen on somehow reimplementing these 'old' rules into the newer editions.

I have been doing some playtesting and I have come to the following conclusions and rules (as of today!):

1) A team has 4 downs to a field. The team may kick the ball downfield (punt) on the 4th down.

2) An incomplete pass is a 'turnover' and the team turn ends.

3) The game lasts the standard 2x8 turns. A kickoff or any team turn ("down") counts as a turn. Unfortunately, both teams may not get 4 full downs each half (without turning over the ball to the other team!).

4) A fumble out of bounds is NOT thrown back in but is still the possession of the last team to control it (NOT scatter it, but have posession). The team turn ends and a new 'down' is started from the line of scrimmage.

5) A player may step out of bounds without injury (but the team turn ends). A player who is pushed out of bounds rolls for injury (NOT an automatic injury).

6) Set up each down: Offence sets up any players ON the line. Defence then sets up all players, and then the offence sets up any remaining players behind the line.

7) The ball is 'snapped' to the thrower from the 'centre' on the line -- considered a hand-off but all tackle zones are ignored. The thrower must still receive the ball, but the SURE HANDS skill allows a reroll (more realistic). IF the thrower is not directly behind the centre, the ball must be thrown (quick pass to the thrower, but the centre ignores all tackle zones for this initial 'throw'. Note that this event does NOT count towards a player action or turn.

Cool A player who is knocked down does NOT drop the ball unless he is injured.

9) The 'turnover' rule is still used even though it is not completely realistic. My original idea is that a team continues play even though one team member gets knocked down. A good thrower can react to change. However, my new reasoning (to KEEP the turnover rule) is that these events are disruptions to the team's plan. If forces coaches to consider what action to do first, and it speeds up the game. Sometimes a defence needs a break...

10) NAF leagues (Compendium rules, NOT this forum!) only allow certain teams: Human, Orc, Elf (any), Dark Elf, and Dwarf. No 'big guys', weapons, or magic are allowed.

11) Between league games, there is a form of draft for new players (including Star Players if you like). There is no draft during play-offs.

I can't seem to think of anything else right now. My intention was to 'revive' these old rules while not deviating too far from the currrent rulebook. Actually, for the big difference in play conceptually, there are not many different rules.

I will continue to test these (and other) rules in the next few weeks/months. Please forward any ideas or comments if you have them!

"Ohhhh, what I'm gonna do to you...." Ren Hoek

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
garthOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 05, 2004 - 09:03 PM

Oh yeah, two more things!

12) There are no field goals.

13) The defence may call a Blitz play (not to be confused with the Blitz action) on ANY down. A Blitz means the defence moves first, after the ball has been 'snapped' to the thrower. However, a Blitz is seldom successful -- roll a D6: 1-3 defence is offside and receives a penalty -- line of scrimmage is moved 4 squares closer to the goal line and the turn/down is repeated; 4 nothing happens; 5-6 Blitz works and the defence gets to move first. (Note: this is being playtested right now and is may change dramatically!)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
garthOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 05, 2004 - 09:06 PM

...and

14) Players who are knocked down and FAIL the armour roll, are left face down on the field (as realistic obstacles). Injuries are rolled AFTER the play has finished (this includes stunned players).

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 06, 2004 - 10:30 AM

A game where you set up again on the LoS after each down would not work unless the teams can more or less move simultaneously. I suggest the following : offense moves a player (e.g. a receiver gets loose), then defense moves a player (e.g. the secondary or tertiary reacts), then offense moves a player, etc. until all players have moved from both sides. Then set up again for the next down and start again.

There also needs to be a way for a player to catch a pass in the middle of his route rather than only at the start or at the end of it.

Finally, you need to have enough players in your team for an offensive squad and a defensive squad (i.e. at least 22 players allowed on the roster). To prevent coaches fielding the same players on offense and defense, and to force them to specialize their players, do the following :
1) Make sure that some skills are useful on defense, and others useful on offense, but few if any are useful in both.
2) Add a "fatigue" factor. For example, if a player has just played a drive and is set up again on another drive without any time to rest, give him -1 MA and -1 AM for the drive. If he's fielded again on the drive after that, add up the modifiers for -2 MA and -2 AV, and so on.

garthOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 06, 2004 - 11:40 AM

Thanks, Zombie, good suggestions.

I have been playtesting the above listed rules and it seems to work fine without simultaneous moves (as it did in 2nd+ edition rules), especially when I keep the 'turnover' rule.

I'm also not sure why we would need to have the catcher to be able to catch a ball mid-pattern, even though it makes it more 'realistic'. The revised system works well without this addition.

As for separate offence and defence players, I don't think it is necessary. Too many rule changes required. Once again, the play seems to work fine without this change.

The fatigue rule is neat, and I am reflecting on it. However, my first reaction is that it is ANOTHER 'house rule' and therefore a deviation from the 'real' rules. But, once again, it would make it more realistic.

I really DON'T want to deviate from the 'real' rules, even if I 'disagree' with them (for realism purposes). My problem is that I like the FLOW of 'real' football, and I want to REintroduce this system (originally suggested in the Compendium) with a MINIMUM of rule changes or house rules. Naturally, there will be SOME required changes, but I have decided to lean towards NOT changing a rule unless I MUST to make this new system work. I want BB players to be able to try my system with a minimum of new rules.

Please keep suggesting other ideas, since I am still in the 'testing' phase anyway!

Garth

garthOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 20, 2004 - 02:20 PM

OK, here is what I have come up with, although there are still a few question marks.

The PROS of this system: more like 'real' football (for those who love football like I do!) including strategy and setup at LOS. CONS: play may take longer (BIG con!); some 'house rules'.

Note that I tried to minimize rule changes unless it was necessary for the 'core' system, even when I thought it would make the game more 'realistic'.

Please tell me what you think -- all suggestions are appreciated!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Downs

A drive or down is a series of turns from the time the ball is first played (the snap) until the the drive is stopped when: the ball carrier is knocked down (without injury); the ball carrier or ball goes out of bounds; a forward pass is incomplete
Each down is identified by a number (ie. 1st down; 4th down)
The offensive team has (3?) 4 downs to achieve a touchdown
The offensive team becomes the defensive team (and vice-versa) if: the 4 downs have been played (turnover on downs); there is a ball turnover (fumble or interception) and the drive has ended; the offensive team kicks the ball and the defensive team recovers
Each drive may consist of several turns
Only the offensive team counts the number of turns played (common for both teams)
Although a kick-off is not considered a drive, the receiving team is considered the offensive team and each full turn counts toward the total turns played in a half

Set Up

The ball starts from the line of scrimmage (LOS)
At the beginning of each new down, the two teams set up as follows:
1) The offensive team sets up all players on the LOS
2) The defensive team sets up all players on or behind the LOS
3) The offensive team sets up remaining players with no new players on the LOS
All other rules regarding set-up (ie. kickoff) are still in effect

The Snap

The beginning of any down/drive is called the snap where the center hands/passes the ball to the thrower -- this is a free action and does not count as part of a team turn
All tackle zones on the center are ignored for the snap (the action has not started yet!)
If the passer is adjacent to (and directly behind?) the center, the snap is a hand-off so the passer must 'catch' the hand-off (sure hands skill may be used as a reroll)
If the passer is not adjacent to (and directly behind?) the center, the snap is a pass and is performed normally --
Remember that the snap is not part of the turn action and doesn't count as a turnover if the snap is unsuccessful in any way
The ball may be snapped directly to any other player (add rule?: penalty of -1 to the throw -- no penalty for hand-offs)

Passing

A ball may be passed forward (or directly sideways) only once per drive
A forward pass that misses (and is not intercepted) is considered dead and the drive ends
A backward pass (lateral) that misses is considered live
A forward pass must be done on or behind the line of scrimmage
A pass is considered an action, although a thrower may move and pass, or pass and move
A thrower and the receiver are considered a unit: both players may move before or after the pass (but not both -- ie. a thrower moves and passes, the receiver catches the pass and then moves)
An incomplete pass is BB turnover and the team turn ends

Blitz!

A team blitz is not the same thing as a blitz action
(original NAF rules: the defensive team can choose to blitz on any one down of a drive)
A blitz allows the defensive team to move first (same as the Blitz! on Kickoff table)
optional suggestion for blitz: roll a Blitz! die
1-2 Blitz!: defensive team may move first (free move)
3-4 no effect
5-6 defensive team is offside and gets a penalty (LOS is moved 3 squares towards defensive team's end zone)
The defensive team must announce the blitz (and roll) before the snap

Kicking

Kickoff rules are generally normal, wherethe receiving team is considered the offensive team (turns are counted normally)
optional rule for kicks: a touchback allows the offensive team to set up on the last LOS (at centre for kickoffs)
There are no field goals (original NAF rules allowed these)
A team may choose to punt (kick the ball downfield) -- usually on 4th down
A punt may be kicked anywhere on the field up to the length of the range ruler
A punt scatters using normal kick rules (kick skill may be used too!)
A punt that scatters out of bounds (sideline) is dead and is not thrown-in by the crowd
A punt that goes out of bounds is a turnover and is now in posession of the new offensive team -- LOS is where the ball went out of bounds.
If a punt goes out the back of the end zone, it is a special type of touchback: the ball is turned over and the new offensive team gets the ball on the last LOS

Wind

In addition to the weather, a wind roll is made
On a '1', there is a mild but significant wind -- roll for direction (a 'wind' marker may be placed on the scatter template to indicate the presence of wind)
Wind causes all kicks and inaccurate passes to be scattered one sqaure in the direction of the wind
If there is wind, the wind may be 'blustery'; strong, random wind -- roll again and another '1' indicate wind is blustery (put wind marker in centre of scatter template)
Blustery wind means -1 to all pass rolls and ball scatter scatters an additional random square

Tackling the Ball Carrier

A ball carrier who is knocked down, doesn't automatically fumble (and scatter) the ball
If a ball carrier is knocked down but does not fail the armour roll, the down is over and the new LOS is where the ball carried was knocked down
The strip ball skill may be used to cause a fumble (and the down is not over); as usual, the sure hands skill prevents this fumble
Once the ball carrier is knocked down (or any time the down is over), any further blocks are considered unnecessary and are unsporting so are treated as fouls

Out of Bounds

A ball that goes out of bounds belongs to the team of the last player who had posession of the ball (scattering a ball, such as from a failed pick up, does not count as posession)
A player who is pushed out of bounds is not automatically injured but is automatically knocked down (and must roll for injury) -- this player may not reenter the pitch until the end of the down
A player may voluntarily run out of bounds (player must still dodge, if necessary) without risk of automatic injury
If the ball carrier moves/pushed out of bounds, the down ends and the new LOS is where the ball carrier went out of bounds (even diagonally)

Injuries

Any player who fails an armour roll is left on the field (face down) until the down is over
Injuries are rolled after the down is finished; stunned players may play in next down
A apothecary may heal an injury (but player may not return until next down?)

NAF Leagues

NAF leagues may only consist of the following races: human, orc, dwarf, high elf, wood elf, pro elf, dark elf
Skill progression according to BB rules except that MVP is randomly awarded to a player who received any SPPs during the game.
Players may be hired between games at full cost (no freebooters); players may not be hired during playoffs.
Star Players?
Apothecary use between games?

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic