NAF Logo
leftstar Apr 28, 2024 - 01:14 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Broken Neck! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
IndigoOffline
Post subject: Painting services - need recommendations  PostPosted: May 21, 2003 - 02:31 AM
Da Warboss

England
Well I was looking to get one or two character minis professionally painted (for 40k admittedly) and the quote I got back (from an ex-Eavy Metal paitner apparently) was £75 per 28mm mini. For an army, it'd probably be nearer £30 per mini.

I may be out of touch, but is this not a bit steep?

What I am looking for is some advice on how much it should cost and who to use. I am going to then use the mini I get pro painted for inspiration and copy the technique (I've never seen a really well painted one close up, soI dont know what to aspire to - all the ones in GW stores are a bit rushed and shoddy)

Help please!

NAF #60

Reply with quote Back to top
DeathwingOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 21, 2003 - 02:38 AM
Former President

England
Think what a plumber or sparky charges per hour. If people are out and out pros and good enough to make a living from it then you're going to have ato pay a similar amount.
So if it's a bog stock marine then yes it's steep. If it's a general/character model that may take 8-10 hours then it's not.

IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 21, 2003 - 03:08 AM
Da Warboss

England
thats a good way of looking at it I guess. I think I'll shop around though
cheers matey

NAF #60

aerofoolOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 21, 2003 - 07:26 AM

United States
The way I go about painting services is this... never pay more to get the model painted than you payed for the model itself. The more you pay for the model, the better you want it to look anyway. You may have to look around, but there are some services that can do core nicely for just under $3 US each. Also be sure to ask about bulk rates. Getting a unit painted all at once usually runs way cheaper than getting them done one at a time.

triplepow.com

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger  
IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 21, 2003 - 08:39 AM
Da Warboss

England
hmmm so a price of £75 for a model costing £20 is too much?
by all accounts the guy is very good, and it is about 8 - 10 hours work after all.

NAF #60

MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 21, 2003 - 09:27 AM

England
The price you quoted seems fair for an awesome 'Eavy Metal character paint job. In fact, knowing what some people pay for Golden Daemon winner's work it is probably fantastic value. You'd have to be really fast to make more than minimum wage too. Confused I'd do some mercenary work myself, but at that rate I just don't think it's worth it. Especially when tight fisted people refuse to pay more than the retail value of the model, regardless of the quality of the work. Evil or Very Mad

When I was looking at starting my own painting service I found there were broadly two groups. 'Eavy Metal standard for characters at high price, and low price army painters who did very basic paint jobs. I would recommend the first for those who want an awesome centre piece for their army but lack the ability to do their own.

You should only pay for the basic service if you really don't have the time to do your own. In my view the satisfaction of doing your own is greater, and the quality likely to be the same. However getting a truly pro painted army at £30 a model might be damn attractive for something small like a BB team, if you have the money to burn.

Don't forget to include the postage costs in your calculations. It may be cheaper further away, like in the US, but once the minis have crossed the Atlantic once or twice you may regret not getting it done locally.

I agree that most of the paint jobs in the stores are a little, well crap, but what do you expect when they have to paint between their regular shop keeping duties? Some stores, however, do get some lovely stuff to display.

The last I heard one of the regular Golden Daemon winners was displaying some of his stuff at the Reading store. Some of my best work is in the Birmingham cabinets (I'm not staff and they're not quite as good), and there's always some good stuff in the Warhammer World shop and exhibition.

Don't know if you live near to any of those. There may be other stores with 'Eavy Metal / Golden Daemon class painters as locals who are happy to lend them figs, but I don't know them. If you really want to see a large number of top class paint jobs 'in the flesh' then spend all day fighting through the crowd to the Golden Daemon finalists table at Games Day, and you should get plenty of inspiration there.

Bit of a long post, but I hope some of it was helpful. Wink

IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 21, 2003 - 11:13 AM
Da Warboss

England
Yep, very helpful, putting everything into context. thanks!

NAF #60

SquiggothOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 21, 2003 - 11:51 AM

I normally charge about 10 euros per hour for a mini, and spend about 7-8 hours on a character model if I work quickly. So I guess $75,- is quite alright. I've seen unpainted conversions sell for $500,- so perhaps I'm even way too cheap Wink

Martijn

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 22, 2003 - 04:32 AM
Da Warboss

England
heh I might start up a lucrative contract business on the side then, these rates sound pretty good...

NAF #60

SquiggothOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 22, 2003 - 04:35 AM

Watch out for inflation! Did I say 10 euros? Obviously I meant 20 Wink

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 22, 2003 - 04:46 AM
Da Warboss

England
heh this idea is getting better all the time!

NAF #60

SquiggothOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 22, 2003 - 05:43 AM

Mmm... Thinking about it, I might just want to be paid in Ferrarri's per hour Mr. Green
Oh wait, I don't like Ferrari's Rolling Eyes

DaveOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 22, 2003 - 06:37 AM
da Veiz-Prez

Netherlands
1 fig is a bottle / can of red paint
2 figs is a rabbit's foot
3 figs is a window swiper
4 figs is a ....

SquiggothOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 22, 2003 - 06:42 AM

Red paint is handy for making bike go fasta! Mr. Green
Dakka dakka,

Martijn

WadediditOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 25, 2003 - 10:41 PM

Australia

I payed $25AU for the Rat Ogre at:

http://www.bloodbowl.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=443

This was a standard job. I think it is brilliant. Unfortunately for you the dude that did this is in Australia.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic