NAF Logo
leftstar May 18, 2024 - 04:47 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Got Block? rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
floleblancOffline
Post subject: Hosting tourney for private league - match length question  PostPosted: Aug 15, 2010 - 03:03 PM

Hi all,
I'd like to host a tourney for our private league, but I guess having 3 or 4 matches and every match lasts 3 hours would be a bit of overkill.
(would like to play it on one day and with all people at one location)

How much of a problem will it be if I just reduce the length of one match to the length of a half. (8 turns - who wins the coin flip can get the ball)

Will that buff the use of secret weapons too much? Will it nerf "bashy" teams too much?

thank you for input/suggestions

Reply with quote Back to top
ApocryphaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 15, 2010 - 09:26 PM

Port Hope Ontario
Time the turns and perhaps make the time shorter than usual if you feel your group needs a fire lit under its collective rear. Smile

Then there is no need to shorten the turn length of the game.

floleblancOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 16, 2010 - 01:00 AM

Well we are all rather new to bloodbowl and cutting the length of the turn to 2 minutes would deceide matches based on how long ppl have to think about their strategy Sad

ApocryphaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 16, 2010 - 01:06 PM

Port Hope Ontario
But cutting the game in half by only playing 8 turns can decide most winners by who gets the ball first.

I think two full halves should be played to allow fairness.

Why not settle on 3 minutes? I've played games with no time limit through to the 20 second turns on the video game. 3 minutes would be ample for even a beginner to make their necessary moves. You also have to consider how some turns end on their first roll of double skulls and no re-rolls.

burgun824Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 16, 2010 - 02:33 PM

United States of America
      floleblanc wrote:
...to think about their strategy Sad

Strategy? What's that?

Run a 3 match swiss format tournament over the course of a day and you're looking at about 12 hours if you stick to the 4 minute time limit in the rule book.

HammerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 18, 2010 - 05:43 PM

Sydney
My league play's a one day tournament once a year - we use chess timers, and each person has 30 minutes per half to get through their turns. So if you take a long time in turn 1, you better have some quick turns coming. If you have a turnover in one of your turns, it means you have more time to spend in later turns. I think that works out to be 3mins 45 seconds per turn. The clock is put on hold for rules clarification, and also for setting up for a new drive. Also, this is the ONLY time we play illegal procedure - and that's done deliberately to add flavour to the 1 day tournament. The funny thing is - playing a day of time pressure with IP as well, it showed everyone that you have heaps of time - I can only remember 1 game that went over time in the 3 years we've been running it.

Of course there are penalties for running over time - if you run out of your 30 minutes, you can only take 1 action with 1 player for the remainder of the match. If you blew all your time, and your opponent still has 10 mins on the clock, it can lead to some funny situations - you get to perform a single action with a single player, while your opponent can do whatever they want.

Anyway, what we found was that using this system, most players completed their halves with between 5 and 8 minutes still left of the chess clock - which after you factor in setting up for new drives and the occaisonal riot, we were comfortably ticking through games in 2 hours and people were having fun. The groans of suffering from illegal procedure faded by midday as people all of a sudden remembered to move their turn marker, as they are sick of not having rerolls.

SO with breaks, this systems allowed us to play 3 games in about 6.5 hours, and then we played a grand final or a free match up for anyone who wanted to hang around for the rest of the day. Works for us, and ended up heap of laughs as we never play IP any time other than this one tournament !

floleblancOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 19, 2010 - 03:11 AM

interesting idea - thank you

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic