NAF Logo
leftstar May 12, 2024 - 02:20 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Interception! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ttthomasOffline
Post subject: A quick question from a noob trying to get a league together  PostPosted: Oct 13, 2010 - 05:26 AM

Middletown

Hello all. I haven't been playing Blood Bowl long, but I'm absolutely in love with the game. No one in my area was doing anything to organize some BB, so I got together with my local GW and we are starting up a league. I have a few questions, and will probably have more. We will be using the Competition Rules from GW's site.

What is popular opinion on the Illegal procedure ruling and the hard 4-minute time limit. I'm in favor of both because I want to limit the amount of time each game takes. I was playing two guys over the weekend that did not use the rules. They are both going to play in the league, but one of them implied that using the rules would be a deal breaker for him.
Now most of the people in the league are new to blood bowl. So they don't know any better. But do most people play with these rules? Or do they play a looser game. I know the decision is up to me, but I'd like to get some opinions.

Reply with quote Back to top
DaggersOffline
Post subject: RE: A quick question from a noob trying to get a league toge  PostPosted: Oct 13, 2010 - 06:01 AM

Canada
If you are trying to get new coaches into the game, I would recommend staying away from time limit. In one of my leagues a newer coach wanted to try out the timer to see what it was like. He made it through the first half before asking that we stop using it. Especially if they are new, the timer is not as useful. Get them comfortable with the rules and how to think during the game, then once they have the confidence you can introduce the timer to get them thinking faster and prioritizing certain things.

As for the illegal procedure, we have a general rule that both coaches agree at the beginning of the game to use that rule or not. It's a good learning tool to remind people to move the turn marker, but we normally don't use it, we just give them a friendly reminder to move the turn marker along.

GrumbledookOffline
Post subject: RE: A quick question from a noob trying to get a league toge  PostPosted: Oct 13, 2010 - 09:38 AM

Hardly anyone uses those rules. Most games are done within 2 hours usually anyway, 3 tops when more developed teams are used.

The IP rule I've never seen used, I would only use it if both players agree before the match. That is usually what all the rules for NAF tournaments say, certainly in the UK. I know there are some that say it won't be used regardless of what the coaches want. It certainly puts people off playing to lose their turn to something so inane. The rule is only there to encourage coaches to keep moving the turn marker. I find against nearly every opponent that they will need reminding at least a couple of times. Winning the match cause I did that isn't fun for either player.

Jon

DaggersOffline
Post subject: RE: A quick question from a noob trying to get a league toge  PostPosted: Oct 13, 2010 - 10:48 AM

Canada
We actually started a silly IP rule. Every time you are called for IP, you have to wear a silly hat. That was just more to embarass the person that kept forgetting. Humiliation is a great motivator for some people.

Normally, I personally prefer the overall time limit (usually 2.5 hours) to motivate people to do their turns promptly. I personally get chatting and totally forget about the game sometimes and end up taking forever.

Do whatever you feel is appropriate, no point being a rules dictator if no one is enjoying themselves..

AxtklingeOffline
Post subject: RE: A quick question from a noob trying to get a league toge  PostPosted: Oct 24, 2010 - 03:55 AM

Portugal
I run a local league for several years now, and over the years our general understanding of those rules has changed a bit.
At first we did not have time limit, and while eveyone could take their time to think the plays without stressing up, the truth was that some games took so much time that some actualy didnt finish (ppl had other stuff to do, or other places to be) which was a real pain both for the players and for "the league" too as we ended up without results for quite a few games.
In our 2nd season we agreed that we had to try a fit the game in a two and a half time period (including inicial and final dice rolls).
As a "good practice" rule we warn the opposing player when theres only 1 minute left to play, and when the 4m end, he can finish the play he started within time limit.
Of course that all the new players we've had since then (and "new" as in "never played BB before") where given a little slack time limits wise, but after a couple of games all af them asked to be "time limited" as all of us, and so theiy were.

Even so, the game alone if played in 4min turns would last more than 2 hours (I know we have a few turnovers, that shorten the time a bit, but during the game we also have the rules discussions, the "handing over" the dice, the comments on the plays...), if we add the start and end sequences (placing teams, inducements, players upgrades, winnings, ...), we never get it done in less than 2 and half/3 hours time period.

Anyway, as long as you all have fun, and are ok with it, its up to you to use or not that rule...
Just my 2 cents.
A.

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject: RE: A quick question from a noob trying to get a league toge  PostPosted: Oct 24, 2010 - 05:47 AM

United States of America
We have a HUGE league with 79 players, not all active at the same time (I think our largest season was 49 with just shy of 1K games played) any who ...
IP and Timer some leagues use them others do not, a lot of people do not understand the point of the rules ...

IP optional for regular play based on player (I played a regular season game and "reminded" my opponent about 3 time. toward the end of the half he had extra RR so I called him and made him burn a RR <which he could have used that turn>)

Clock both coaches agree to use or not

New players: let them run for 6 or seven games warning them about the clock and IP

PLAY OFFS the IP & Clock are mandatory

We are extremely busy and our time is restricted. If you play once every 2 weeks or so would you rather play 2 opponents or a leisure game against one opponent. Blood Bowl is very much like chess as the placement of every figure is crucial. Ever notice that they use clocks in chess ....

SolarFlareOffline
Post subject: RE: A quick question from a noob trying to get a league toge  PostPosted: Oct 25, 2010 - 11:46 AM

I think most people play a looser game. I know I have no interest in playing with IP and a strict time limits.

Note: As a matter of courtesy, you should try to play quickly. We all have busy lives. But if you ever have a turn "end" because the time ran out after the ball never stopped bouncing in a mosh or your opponent took 2 minutes to decide which way his sidestep player went, you will see why I will not play in games with strict time limits.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic