NAF Logo
leftstar Apr 29, 2024 - 12:37 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
In Roze-El we trust. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
LucyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 30, 2011 - 02:13 AM

Undisclosed

No.
Preferably recognisable though.

Lucy

Reply with quote Back to top
DaveOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 30, 2011 - 09:32 AM
da Veiz-Prez

Netherlands
baserings anyone?

LycosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 30, 2011 - 04:32 PM
Former President

Undisclosed
WC committee: Dave, you correctly raise base rings as a great solution to skills. I was thinking about this for the GT here in UK. Why dont you guys talk to Pippy and agree some basic standards:
Such like: Green = guard: Red = Mighty Blow: Solid Blue = Block & light blue = Wrestle. Dodge is Orange or yellow.

It seems to me that Base rings, in tournament play, are becoming very much the norm. So why dont we (NAF) lead the way & standardise some colours for the main 6 or 7 skills that we know we are likely to see. Heck the players have 6 months to get them? That has to be enough time

LycosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 30, 2011 - 04:37 PM
Former President

Undisclosed
Of course the above only works with 28mm bases, I know that. I dont think we should enforce anything, but with so many players, so many languages, it would be useful to agree some basic agreement about "this colour means this skill".

Only an idea.

generaljasonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 30, 2011 - 05:37 PM

British Columbia, Canada
Honestly base rings should only be used to define positionals. Red = Blitzers, White = Throwers, Yellow = Catchers, Grey = Lineman, Green = Blockers, Orange is Runners I think. This is all from 2nd edition of course where the base rings originated, and the league that I play in resurrected their use as well, but it was to make out the confusing teams like Humans and Amazons where the models all look the same.

If you change this colour scheme you make all that redundant and to those who do use it for this purpose will only find this confusing.

If you want to add more info to the player's base then fine, but outside of base rings for positionals, and numbers to signify the player on the roster, the only thing I think you could do is add the text of the skills like those Heroclix bases, or paint chevrons on the base itself to signify certain skills.

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 30, 2011 - 10:33 PM

Undisclosed
I think there may be a slight mis-communication here:

Base Rings = the colour painted (or added if using old 2nd bases) to denote the position of the player

Skill rings = rings added around the base (or balanced on the figure in some cases), as sold by Impact etc. to denote skills.

Personally, I'm happy for it to be an "optional, but we think it's a good idea", but I don't want it to be expected, if only because not everyone has 2+ sets of skill rings (I don't, because I keep losing them!).

Maybe the NAF gift next year instead of dice? Wink

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

RoddersOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 31, 2011 - 12:43 AM

Undisclosed

I think "optional but good idea" is the way forward but I don't use the impact! skill rings (i found them annoying and keep losing them)

southern UK RTC

I voted

DaveOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 31, 2011 - 09:43 AM
da Veiz-Prez

Netherlands
I have those Impact! elastic bands and they work very well

LycosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 31, 2011 - 10:47 AM
Former President

Undisclosed
Just to be clear, I was not saying you MUST use them, only IF you did, how about sticking to colours.... as I say, just an idea. Could be more confusing than needed!

DaveOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 31, 2011 - 11:09 AM
da Veiz-Prez

Netherlands
the idea is good, we'll keep it in mind!

generaljasonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 01, 2011 - 11:17 AM

British Columbia, Canada
      Lycos wrote:
Just to be clear, I was not saying you MUST use them, only IF you did, how about sticking to colours.... as I say, just an idea. Could be more confusing than needed!

Oh guaranteed I wasn't taking it that way. I'm all for more voluntary info on the model itself which is why I use the base ring colours from 2nd ed to mark my positionals.

Symbols on the base for the common skills like Block, Dodge, or Guard would be useful and something I'd like to see in future provided the shapes, abbreviations or symbols used were universal as well.

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 02, 2011 - 04:05 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
@GJ - they mean these - http://www.impactminiatures.com/index.php?option=skillrings

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 02, 2011 - 10:26 PM

Undisclosed
Already said that. Wink

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

GlowwormOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 03, 2011 - 11:53 AM

Undisclosed
At 110Euro's a player are you suppling them ? Wink you could probably get a decent discount from Impact! (thier price are very good anyway!)

or are we opening a "trading post" so all the guys like me that 2-3 sets can make sure we've all got the correct number of colours.

If i give 2 players the same additional skill (say guard) they both get the same coloured (yes USA coloUr) rings, it not difficult to ask an opponent what skills his players have if they are marked out as having additional skills

Tiamo69Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 05, 2011 - 11:32 AM

UK
thread seems to have gone off on the 'skill rings' tangent!
(& i'm in the possibly nice to have but, definitely not essential camp!)

lets get back on track with how people actually show the additional skills on their Team Tosters & when they should be submitted...

Notorious_jtb wrote:
      Dave wrote:

Skill Progression.

Before round 1 you may assign three skills to three separate players on your roster.
Before round 4 and round 7 you may assign two skills to two separate players on your roster.

No player can get more than one extra skill during the tournament.

All skills are ‘normal’ skills.
However, before round 4 and 7 you may select one of the 2 skills as a ‘double’.

All skills must be noted on the team roster your teamcaptain hands in to the organization when registering your team on day 1.

I think this section, particularly the "All skills must be noted on the team roster" is causing some confusion.

It is obvious that the 3 skills selected before round 1 should be on the roster that your captain hands in.

I think it would be good to have clarity over the precise time that the 2 skills selected before rounds 4 and 7 need to be recorded on the roster.

Is it:

a) before round 1, all skills picked before the start of the tournament
    b) before round 1 (3) then before round 4 two new skills are added to the roster and a new copy of the team sheet is submitted, the same before round 7.
    c) something else

I think picking all skills in advance is easier for the Tournament organisers.
Picking skills later gives you the chance to react to your experiences and could be more fun for the players.
Having all skills on the early roster could lead to confusion and potential "unfortunate" use of skills not actually available until rounds 4 and 7.

Can't see the confusion myself...?

Think we're all in agreement, that we want to make things as simple as possible for everyone: Organisers, Team Captains, Referees & Opposing Coaches, especially as there will be language differences to contend with.

Team Captains should submit their 'final' team rosters at least 2 weeks prior to WCII (in a standard format laid out by Organisers?), after scanning them thoroughly themselves, to check for legality.

The actual Team Rosters will show all Players (Models must be numbered as per submitted Roster) & the Seven 'Additional' Skills should be shown in either a different colour or annotated 1,2,3 in brackets.

We are in 2011 now & most people have easy access to a colour printer (or at the very least 4 different coloured biros!).

My suggestion would be:

Normal Text - Black
3 Skills before Round 1 - Blue

2 Skills before Round 4 - Red (1 skill maybe taken as a Double)
2 Skills before Round 7 - Green (1 skill maybe taken as a Double)

If doubles are selected, these should be printed in Bold & Underlined!

At least this way, more so than the numbers in brackets, everything is clearly visible to everyone, from the start...

IMO picking skills on the fly, in reaction to the vagaries of Nuffle, is asking for trouble.

Better for the coach to plan their teams progression & tactics around 'known' quantities...

You know you're going to be facing Orc, Wood Elves, Skaven, Norse & Undead at some point and you know you're going to get double or triple skulled when you least need it or fail that easy GFI with a Re-Roll!

So, you're team has got to be flexible & you have to be prepared to ditch the playbook & follow the 'luck of the dice'...

if this was predictable, it wouldn't be Bloodbowl!!! Laughing

& whether you're a 'power gamer' or playing cos you just love it, this is the World Cup Baby!
So let's all have fun & don't forget to get your morning opponent drunk the night before!!! Cool Wink

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic