NAF Logo
leftstar Apr 27, 2024 - 05:03 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Where would we be without Mungk? rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
runejackOffline
Post subject: Dark Elves in Resurrection Tourneys  PostPosted: Jul 21, 2011 - 06:55 AM

Hi Folks,

I was hoping to bounce some questions and ideas off of the more learned souls who have much more tourney experience than myself. These are all relating to a Dark Elf team I'll be taking to EucBowl in Sydney,Australia next month. A brief run down of the rules is 1250k starting rosters, 0-2 stars, up to 1 regular skill per player (no doubles) for 20k each. No skillups between games. Rosters are reset to your starting lineup after each round.

1. How does a 70k lineman compare to an apothecary plus a skill for one of the remaining players? Apothecary a badly hurt and he comes back next drive or risk apothing a SI or Death for a 50% chance they come back next drive. (I guess there's also apoth a clutch KO?) Are the odds worth an extra skill on the field vs an extra skilless lino

2. How huge is a star player like Eldril Sidewender? At 200k, I'm looking at basically him plus a starter Dark Elf Team plus 50k. Too many eggs in one basket for a player without black and AV 7? What I'm seeing in him is two fold. a)a cure for the lack of guard on the dark elf team through hypno gaze and b)a nice offensive package for when you need a clutch touchdown through dodge, NoS and catch. The pass block is just icing on the cake. I'm keen to hear thoughts from people who have used him in tourneys before.

Thanks for the thoughts!

Joel

Reply with quote Back to top
GrumbledookOffline
Post subject: RE: Dark Elves in Resurrection Tourneys  PostPosted: Jul 21, 2011 - 07:02 AM

I'd always try and fit in an apothecary rather than a more expensive lineman on any team. The advantage of being able to keep a KO on the pitch is pretty damn useful, or rescue a injured pricey player in the first half.

eldril is nice but too big a chunk of your money and has loner, dark elves are already expensive, i'd rather spend the extra on skills

have you tried pricing up a team with him in, compared to one without?

Jon

runejackOffline
Post subject: RE: Dark Elves in Resurrection Tourneys  PostPosted: Jul 21, 2011 - 07:39 AM

Hi there,

Thank you for the reply! The KO is still stunned when you apoth them, right? Would you risk Apothing an SI or death in the first half or wait for a bad? If your first injury was a badly hurt skilless lineman in the first half would you use it?

I have done comparisons with Eldril. The favourite lineup with him vs without exchanges him for 2 linemen and 3 skills on 3 guys. I'm actually not everly concerned about his loner status as I doubt I'd ever block with him unless absolutely necessary. He has dodge and catch rerolls built in! It would only be for rerolling hypno gaze, but how often would you waste a reroll on that? Like you though, my biggest concern is the big chunk of money on one player.

GrumbledookOffline
Post subject: RE: Dark Elves in Resurrection Tourneys  PostPosted: Jul 21, 2011 - 08:08 AM

an extra player and 3 more skills is probably a better option, your biggest problems will come with being outnumbered, dark elves can hold their own very well at even numbers or at a slight disadvantage, if it snowballs though you may well struggle (as most teams would)

as to using the apoth on a SI or death, it would depend what player it happened to, what turn it was, who else was injured and what my opponents team and lineup is, generally though I wouldn't bother if I had to say yes or no, there is a 50 50 chance I will just waste the apothecary

if you want to type out the full roster you were thinking, I'm happy to critique it (as may others)

Jon

runejackOffline
Post subject: RE: Dark Elves in Resurrection Tourneys  PostPosted: Jul 21, 2011 - 08:34 AM

Thanks again,

I'm still looking at 4 or 5 options. I should probably narrow that down before postig one up. Theres so many ways to go!

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject: RE: Dark Elves in Resurrection Tourneys  PostPosted: Jul 21, 2011 - 04:40 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
I think the apoth is good value in DE teams. Either just use on the first BH, or if you feel the risk worthwhile then on a skilled Blitzer or Witch.

I'd be thinking of 2 witches, 4 blitzers, runner, 4 line, 2 rr, apoth. That leaves 120k for 6 skills - leader on the runner, block & wrestle on the witches, probably one tackle on a blitzer and then you can sort of pick. Dodge is always good and having 4 of them would allow you to overwhelm teams without tackle or only a single tackler. Sidestep is also handy because you can combo nicely with the witches for some sideline frenzy fun.

runejackOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Dark Elves in Resurrection Tourneys  PostPosted: Jul 22, 2011 - 03:53 AM

Doubleskulls wrote:
...Sidestep is also handy because you can combo nicely with the witches for some sideline frenzy fun.

Not to sound overly daft, but could you elaborate a bit on this? My sideline play is probably the weakest part of my game. While I think I know where you are going here, I'd appreciate the insight!

ApocryphaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 22, 2011 - 03:33 PM

Port Hope Ontario
I think what he's getting at is that with sidestep you can place your witch elf, if she's still standing after the hit, in a position favourable to you where in one hit or two (with frenzy) you can push the offender off the sideline to be dealt with by the crowd. And defensively to not end up off the pitch as well.

I don't think many people take grab in tournament settings when other skills can have more use.

runejackOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Dark Elves in Resurrection Tourneys  PostPosted: Jul 22, 2011 - 08:13 PM

Doubleskulls wrote:

I'd be thinking of 2 witches, ... block & wrestle on the witches, probably one tackle on a blitzer and then you can sort of pick. Dodge is always good and having 4 of them would allow you to overwhelm teams without tackle or only a single tackler. Sidestep is also handy because you can combo nicely with the witches for some sideline frenzy fun.

Apocrypha wrote:
I think what he's getting at is that with sidestep you can place your witch elf, if she's still standing after the hit, in a position favourable to you where in one hit or two (with frenzy) you can push the offender off the sideline to be dealt with by the crowd. And defensively to not end up off the pitch as well.

I don't think many people take grab in tournament settings when other skills can have more use.

When I first read his post that was my impression as well. However, re-reading it, I got the impression he meant to give it to another player. I'm wondering if he means you can put a player nearer to the sidelines to assist with the crowd push ad not have to worry about them suffering the same fate?

As tempting as it woud be to take 2 witch elves and give one of them sidestep, I'd be concerned about consistently blocking/blitzing with a player that doesn't have block or wrestle. Wouldn't this be a big gamble for a team with only 2 or 3 rerolls max? What do you think?

runejackOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 22, 2011 - 09:48 PM

Here are the lists I’m thinking about.
Requirements: 1250k, non-doubles skills only for 20k and max 1 per player, 0-2 star players
After previous discussion and my own thoughts, I’ve all but ruled out a 12 elf roster in favour of 11 players, an apoth and an extra skill. I’d be interested in hearing thoughts on a better roster with 12 players!

1 Witch Elf, 4 Blitzers, 1 Runner, 5 Line-elves, 2 rerolls, 1 apoth, 8 skills
Leader would be a given on the runner as 2 rerolls is too few in my opinion for Dark Elves. Most likely Wrestle on the Witch for the best chance at knocking down ball carriers. This leaves 6 skills. I could give each Blitzer a skill and two line-elves. This leaves 3 unskilled for the line of scrimmage to start. Top Blitzer skill thoughts would be between Dodge, Tackle, Leap, Sidestep, Strip Ball and Dauntless. Should any of these be auto includes? Top skills for the line-elves would be Dodge, Block, Kick, Wrestle, Sidestep and Fend ... and on the outside sneaky git or dirty player. I’ve never, ever liked fouling with Dark Elves and an 11 player line up though. I’m not sure the bonus of being more likely to get opponents off the pitch outweighs the likelihood of losing your own guy. I’d be very keen to hear thoughts on this!

2 Witch Elves, 4 Blitzers, 1 Runner, 4 Line-elves, 2 rerolls, 1 apoth, 6 skills
This list exchanges a Line-Elf and 2 skills for a Witch Elf. As well, I couldn’t conceive of taking a Witch Elf without a skill-up. This means Wrestle on one, most likely Block on the other, and Leader once again on the Runner. This means only 3 skills to spread to the rest of the team (most likely blitzers, or do these need to be spread out?) Pros: This makes it less painful if a Witch Elf goes down and makes the sidelines even more dangerous. As well, it’s arguably the best player on the squad; why not go 2 if you can? Cons: This is another expensive AV7 player to protect (albeit a blodger). There is only 1 blitz a turn so often this extra player will be assisting or just positioning. Getting the Witch Elf loses some diversity on the team with only the 3 skills left to pass around.

2 Witch Elves, 4 Blitzers, 1 Runner, 4 Line-elves, 3 rerolls, 6 skills
Giving up the apoth for a reroll means the runner can take Nerves of Steel, but the team becomes slightly more fragile with no one on the bench and no apoth for a badly hurt or 50% chance to recover a worse result.

1 Witch Elf, 4 Blitzers, 2 Runners, 4 Line-elves, 2 rerolls, 1 apoth, 7 skills, 1 FF (or coach or cheerleader)
The purpose of this roster would be to still be able to take a NoS Runner, but have the Leader as well (or conceivably 2 NoS runners and risk 2 rerolls for the game) This would leave 4 skills to distribute between Blitzers and Line-Elves (3/1 in my opinion). This list to me seems quite weak compared to the others. There’s potential in the 2 NoS runners, but it just seems like too much of a 1 trick pony. I’d even consider dropping a Witch Elf or a Blitzer to make this a bit stronger ... and that already has me cringing!

4 Blitzers, 2 Runners, 5 Line-elves, 3 rerolls, 1 apoth, 7 skills
All out offense, no Witch Elf in the safety roll. *cringe*

The first 3 lists seem the strongest to me. I’d love to hear people’s thoughts and opinions, and responses to the in-line questions above!

Thanks!

Joel

GrumbledookOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 24, 2011 - 06:06 AM

I took darkies to the Blood Bowl this year and didn't lose a single game with only one reroll and leader

you could drop one for 2 more skills and 1ff, very marginal though

otherwise I'd take your second lineup, it is pretty much the standard way to go, leader, block, wrestle, dodge, dodge and then perhaps tackle or strip ball

frenzy and wrestle can somewhat make up for the lack of tackle, if you did drop a reroll then you could take dodge on two more players, I don't know how useful that would be compared to a reroll over a whole game though

Jon

runejackOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 25, 2011 - 03:12 AM

Grumbledook wrote:
I took darkies to the Blood Bowl this year and didn't lose a single game with only one reroll and leader

you could drop one for 2 more skills and 1ff, very marginal though

otherwise I'd take your second lineup, it is pretty much the standard way to go, leader, block, wrestle, dodge, dodge and then perhaps tackle or strip ball

frenzy and wrestle can somewhat make up for the lack of tackle, if you did drop a reroll then you could take dodge on two more players, I don't know how useful that would be compared to a reroll over a whole game though

How often did you use your apothecary? How succesful was he? What were your toughest matchups? Did you miss kick? Tackle? Strip ball?

GrumbledookOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 25, 2011 - 07:06 AM

sure you miss what you don't have, but you don't have them cause you miss what you do pick more ;]

I took strip ball in the last game as I was playing amazons and it was very useful, I think I had tackle already but don't recall

matchups are generally more down to the opposing coach rather than the teams they are using, used my apoth every match, worth his weight in gold

Jon

runejackOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Dark Elves in Resurrection Tourneys  PostPosted: Jul 26, 2011 - 04:59 AM

Doubleskulls wrote:
... block & wrestle on the witches, probably one tackle on a blitzer...

I'm finding myself a bit hung up on wether I'd go block and wrestle, or duo wrestle if I took two witch elves. Would you mind elaborating on your thoughts here? (or anyone else who has thoughts on this)

GrumbledookOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Dark Elves in Resurrection Tourneys  PostPosted: Jul 26, 2011 - 07:17 AM

I took one of each, whilst wrestle is useful having more players prone isn't great and in tournaments there are plenty of non block players

Jon

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic