NAF Logo
leftstar Apr 27, 2024 - 05:09 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Vote Varag for Warboss. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
scottprimeOffline
Post subject: Need help with Tournament Teams at 110K  PostPosted: Aug 26, 2011 - 01:53 PM

United States of America
Hi everyone I am heading out to Chaos Cup in a few weeks and I haven't decided yet on what team to take as of yet. I have no tournament experience at all. Me and my friends always play in leagues and in those league our skills are random. I am looking for help and ideas for the following two teams. Khemri and Chaos Dwarf. For the Chaos Cup you get 110K to spend on the team build and you can buy up to one skill per player as needed. Limit the use of a new skill to one per player only, and twice per team. It's also resurrection style format. So the team I start with in game one, will be the same in all games.

I am looking for build suggestion backed with reasons why its worked. Meaning I know some people answer these types of question maybe without have the experience of actually playing that team they are recommending.

Remember I have no Tournament experience, so please all Experienced Tournament players I am open and listening to your insight. Here are my current builds.

Khemri
3 Tomb Guardians (two with Block, one Mighty Blow)
2 Blitz-Ra's (Both with Guard)
2 Thro-Ra's (One with Leader)
5 Skeleton's
2 RR's
0 FF, 0 Cheer, 0 Asst Coaches

Is only 3 TG's foolish? Should I have Strip ball somewhere?

Chaos Dwarf
2 Bull Centaurs (1 w/Block, 1 w/Leader)
6 Dwarf Blockers (2 w/Guard)
4 HobGoblins (1 with Surehands)
2 RR's
1 FF, 0 Cheer, 0 Asst Coaches, No Apothecary

Thoughts and advice. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Reply with quote Back to top
GrumbledookOffline
Post subject: RE: Need help with Tournament Teams at 110K  PostPosted: Aug 26, 2011 - 02:52 PM

chaos dwarfs are a much better tournament team, they aren't hampered by the lack of skills and low agility like khemri

1100 and you have to pay for your skills out of that is a bit tough

I'd probably drop leader and the 1 FF take break tackle and perhaps mighty blow since you can't have 3 guards

I can see the logic in wanting three rerolls but most teams are going to be light on skills or rerolls or players and you have sure hands for picking up the ball, most of you rolls will be 2 dice blocks which should be less risky and you can get away with just 2

good luck and have fun, I've played at the chaos cup twice and its a good bunch of guys who usually attend, the ruleset is a bit better this year but there is still room for improvement (from my personal point of view, these things are subjective)

Jon

scottprimeOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Need help with Tournament Teams at 110K  PostPosted: Aug 26, 2011 - 02:59 PM

United States of America
      Grumbledook wrote:

I'd probably drop leader and the 1 FF take break tackle and perhaps mighty blow since you can't have 3 guards

Chaos Dwarf
2 Bull Centaurs (1 w/Block, 1 w/Break Tackle)
6 Dwarf Blockers (2 w/Guard)
4 HobGoblins (2 w/ Surehands)
2 RR's
0 FF, 0 Cheer, 0 Asst Coaches, No Apothecary

what are your thoughts about 2 people with surehands, or one with kick?

Grumbledook wrote:

good luck and have fun, I've played at the chaos cup twice and its a good bunch of guys who usually attend, the ruleset is a bit better this year but there is still room for improvement (from my personal point of view, these things are subjective)

Just curious what is a good Tournament ruleset in your opinion, curious because we would love to start a tournament in our neck of the woods next year.

GrumbledookOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Need help with Tournament Teams at 110K  PostPosted: Aug 26, 2011 - 03:14 PM

I wouldn't waste a skill taking 2 with sure hands, skills are at a premium and only one player can carry the ball at a time and that is assuming the other team don't have it...

mighty blow will be much more useful, you are going to be blocking with your chaos dwarfs quite a bit so whittling down the other team would be a great help, it was used to good effect to my vampire team last tournament I went too ;[

if anything I'd be inclinced to take 2x mighty blow and no sure hands, though there is some concern about lack of rerolls and if you face wood elves (which there are bound to be some) they will 100% have a strip ball wardancer

so i would perhaps stick with the sure hands and then just be careful about using your rerolls, don't automatically use them on any roll that causes a turnover if it isn't crucial

I really like the rules used at the ironmanj shield and the spiky open / thrudball this year, basically any that give a wider range of effective races , these rules heavily favour certain teams over others, if you want more info feel free to start a new thread or PM me directly to save this going off topic for you ;]

Jon

scottprimeOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Need help with Tournament Teams at 110K  PostPosted: Aug 26, 2011 - 03:39 PM

United States of America
Can I bother you one last time.

Chaos Cup Round 6 we get two mutations for the lineman spot (HobGobbos) what would you bother taking? They have to go on an un-skilled players.

Without re-reading the Mutations descriptions I am thinking Horns and Horns or Horns and Two Heads. Opinions?

Grumbledook wrote:

I really like the rules used at the ironmanj shield and the spiky open / thrudball this year, basically any that give a wider range of effective races , these rules heavily favour certain teams over others, if you want more info feel free to start a new thread or PM me directly to save this going off topic for you ;]

Thanks for the info I looked them up, I will post something when we are closer to setting up a Tournament. Thanks alot!

GrumbledookOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Need help with Tournament Teams at 110K  PostPosted: Aug 26, 2011 - 03:46 PM

I'd rather do the blitzing with my centaurs, two heads on both could be good, or two heads and extra arms

Jon

scottprimeOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Need help with Tournament Teams at 1  PostPosted: Aug 26, 2011 - 03:58 PM

United States of America
      Grumbledook wrote:
I'd rather do the blitzing with my centaurs, two heads on both could be good, or two heads and extra arms

That's true. My first thought was basically 4 ST blocking, BUT only on blitz duh! Thank you!

GrumbledookOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Need help with Tournament Teams   PostPosted: Aug 26, 2011 - 04:19 PM

I think two heads on both may be better overall, but its just for the last game so hardly a big deal anyway

Jon

DrunkZombieOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Need help with Tournament Teams  PostPosted: Aug 26, 2011 - 04:40 PM

United States of America
I'll be at the Chaos Cup with my Chaos Pact team. Its always nice to see another non-elf/skaven team coming.

SolarFlareOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Need help with Tournament Teams  PostPosted: Aug 29, 2011 - 07:17 AM

I would drop a reroll from your last list. From that 70k you save, add leader and 2x mighty blow to the chaos dwarf blockers. Of course, you could lose the leader reroll if the chaos dwarf gets KOd/killed, but those guys are tough. And, you add 2x mighty blow. Something that will come in handy against squishier teams. I'm probably playing a squishy team at chaos cup, so I am not helping my own cause here. Smile

scottprimeOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Need help with Tournament Te  PostPosted: Aug 29, 2011 - 11:24 AM

United States of America
      SolarFlare wrote:
I would drop a reroll from your last list. From that 70k you save, add leader and 2x mighty blow to the chaos dwarf blockers. Of course, you could lose the leader reroll if the chaos dwarf gets KOd/killed, but those guys are tough. And, you add 2x mighty blow. Something that will come in handy against squishier teams. I'm probably playing a squishy team at chaos cup, so I am not helping my own cause here. Smile

Wow! I was coming here to post that same option and ask for thoughts about it. I was looking at wanting to add leader somewhere and I thought crap, instead of the full price re-roll I could take a chance and get 2 skills (mighty blow was my thoughts as well) in the process.

I must admit I am scared to death I will be wishing I had 3 RR's somewhere along the line. But I am also to scared to play only 11 men, and get one hurt and then play the entire game out manned.

Thanks for the feedback Frank!

Jonny_POffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Need help with Tournamen  PostPosted: Sep 02, 2011 - 07:56 PM

United States of America
Don't listen to Frank. He sucks.

scottprimeOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Need help with Tourn  PostPosted: Sep 05, 2011 - 10:42 PM

United States of America
      Jonny_P wrote:

Which is why I scraped the idea and went all Human Lineman and 8 RR's. You will be shocked at the skills I have chosen!

SolarFlareOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Need help with Tourn  PostPosted: Sep 06, 2011 - 07:04 AM

Jonny_P wrote:

Crying or Very sad

KilowoggyOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Need help with Tourn  PostPosted: Sep 08, 2011 - 10:15 PM

Undisclosed
      SolarFlare wrote:
      Jonny_P wrote:

Crying or Very sad

Don't worry... he likes guys who suck... that was either a compliment or an invitation. Wink

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic